1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver grabbing OKC #30

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by VoR, Jun 13, 2022.

1. VoR

VoR Member

Perhaps a move to get Jokic. Gives us some leverage if we want to move Gordon. Interesting development.

2. VoR

VoR Member

I meant Jovic, btw.

Thinking more about this, I wonder if the Green trade says more about OKC's interest in winning next season. They have the cap space, so it makes sense from that perspective why they would absorb him. Favors might be traded, as he can fill in for Favors for less money. But could they be trying to win next season with SGA getting the big bucks next season? I don't think they pick Holmgren if they are trying to win next season. Which means Holmgren might fall to us, which means the Rockets might just pick Ivey over Holmgren.

I know there are a lot of Holmgren fanboys here, but he is a project. He needs two years and 25lbs on him to really develop. Question is, would we trade down if our choices were Holmgren and Ivey? Who could use Holmgren right now? Not Sacramento. Not Indiana. Not Detroit. Portland, yes. Portland is close enough to Gonzaga to give Holmgren that hometown hero feeling and they are not in a win now mode. So do we trade down with Portland so they can get Holmgren if we are in that position?

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'd be shocked if we pass on holmgren for ivey, given that we are tanking next year again for wembi. as good as ivey is we have enough guards.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm interested in what the 2027 protected pick is. OKC basically gave Denver $8.2M, 30th pick this year, and 2 seconds for that pick. Seems a high price if that pick is heavily protected, but low if it is only lottery protected.

VoR likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There is a salary floor, so they have to spend $$ - essentially OKC got a player, a first and a protected future first in 2027 in exchange for cap space and 2 seconds.

They killed it - especially considering they have so many other picks, and can get at pick 34 one of the players they were considering at 30...

Denver seemed to be all about saving 20mill in Lux Tax