1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Rockets Based Big Board

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 16, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like your board for the most part, but I think Dieng is taken before #17.

And I have Rockets taking Christian Koloko at #26.

raining threes and Houston77 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think Rockets actually draft 3 guys?

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Really well done, enjoyed your write up.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

No.

But Stone is unpredictable.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

From what I've read: Banchero 21/22:
    At the Rim: 26% of his attempts (a 6'10" player only at 26% of his attempts?)
    Check what Evan Mobley and other Bigs coming out of college were at?
    Near 70% are most.

In Mid Range: 48% of his FGA's

3-Pointers: leaves 26% of his shots from 3. He took 9 attempts from the right
    corner and 12 shots from the left corner. Are we counting on that projected
    out for 82-games. He should match those outputs by mid November....we hope.

*For someone who is amazing at dribbling and has Guard skills.....
    that % of FGA's in the paint and at the rim is pathetic. To be 6th
    on the team (Duke) in percentage of FG's in the paint is terrible. But I'm
    being told he is so great at getting by guys!

Sorry the stats don't show it. Not nearly enough speed to get by NBA players
    and get all the way to the rim. As a defense, Sengun's man will be in the
    paint and everyone else expect the pass from Banchero. It will either be
    a mid range shot or pass.

Deckard, D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Daniels for his defense and length but not so certain he's a BETTER fit with Green vs Ivey.

Ivey is a consensus top 5 pick for a reason.

His explosiveness, both speed and verticality, combined with Green would be devastating.

2 guys who could get to basket at will and finish violently from both half court and full court?

I'm so very tempted.

But between Ivey and Banchero, would still go with bigger longer player. As much as it pains me.

Milos, jcmoon and don grahamleone like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

For the mid range percentage, seems to me, he's better off possibly in the closer part of the mid-range, instead of long two's.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

Green and KPJ are best suited off ball. The stats clearly back this. Having a playmaking big will unlock them coming off screens and pin downs. Look at the profound difference in Steph Curry/Klay Thompson stats when Draymond Green is not playing and playmaking for them. It is significant. Neither of those guys are true playmakers and the only way this is going to work is to have a playmaker to pair with 2 scoring guards. You are proposing to add another guard who is not a playmaker with significant weaknesses outside of a high usage scoring role where he has clear holes as well. In what world is that a good fit? Tell me the starting lineup with Ivey. If you think starting Ivey, KPJ and Green together is a good idea I’m really not sure why I’m wasting my time.

I didn’t think the Philly front court would work as those are 3 bigs with one that cannot shoot at all. Tobias was immediately a negative asset the minute he signed his deal. Most people said that wouldn’t work from the start and they clowned Philly about it.

With regards to Banchero, the jumper is fine. He’s already further along than the players you mentioned as he already shoots league average on catch and shoot 3’s 36% as well as over 50% from corner 3’s. Volume aside he literally shot a better % from corner 3 than Jabari Smith. He has shown flashes of 3 point shot creation as well. No reason to expect him to regress. You can run Green as either the initiator or role man with Banchero, creating way more more mismatch potential than what is possible with Ivey in a similar situation.

Detroit wants Ivey because of the fit with Cade. One is a fast twitch scorer and one is a methodical playmaker. Similarly, Green’s athleticism as a downhill scorer is a great fit with the methodical playmaking approach of Banchero. This is even more clear considering Green and KPJ’s clear strengths off ball.

My point is that the only fit that matters this high in the draft is with Jalen Green. Taking Ivey might work with Sengun but he’s a bad fit with our #2 pick we should be building around. Not only that, KPJ no longer fits and now you have 3 scoring combo guards who are bad at playmaking. The only fit should be around Green. But you once again bring up Sengun as a problem with Banchero as if that even remotely compares to the fit problems of Ivey and the player we are actually supposed to be building around in Green.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Terry averaged the same no of asts as Tyty so if Terry isnt a pg then neither is Tyty lol.

JW and DT are better prospects because they have 2-3 inches on Tyty. That makes a world of difference in terms of defense and also helps their playmaking cuz they can see over the defender.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

Anyone of those 5 (13-17) could go 17 and I'm ok with that.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

My Rockets based top 30 big board divided in tiers

1.Chet
    2.Jabari

3.Ivey
    4.Paolo

5.Sharpe
    6.Murray
    7.Mathurin
    8.Duren
    9.Mark Williams
    10.Daniels

11.Griffin
    12.Sochan
    13.Dieng
    14.Eason
    15.TyTy

16.Jovic
    17.Dalen Terry
    18.Jalen Williams
    19.Branham
    20.Marjon
    21.Kessler
    22.Hardy
    23.Agbaji
    24.Kendall Brown

25.Liddell
    26.Braun
    27.Montero
    28.Chandler
    29.Keels
    30.Wesley

#51 BigMaloe, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I take back what I said about AJ Griffin. He might be more around 9th on my ranks now. This video really underscores how much of his athleticism was sapped by injury. Man is he slow off the dribble and in on/off ball defense. No quick twitch ability anymore, and he's overreliant on a two-footed jump when driving in the paint as a result. Unless he gives teams good reason to believe that his medicals will turn around in the coming year or two, I could see him falling out of the lottery too. Would we take Griffin at 17 if Eason, Dieng, Duren, and Mark Williams were off the board? Me personally I might even prefer Terry and Branham over him.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  13. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I’ve watched your passion from afar for years. Sometimes with disdain and most times with agreement. I find your communication style abrasive bordering on arrogant. And I hate how you beat a particular drum (Simmons, Jalen Johnson, Jonah Bolden etc ) over and over and belittle anyone that questions you. Wood especially is one of your blind spots.

Five out…switch everything…he’s perfect…Silas sucks…Stone is incompetent. Plus you’re mean when questioned.

You obviously watch more games and care about the rockets more than most but maybe try not to be a prick and act like you know everything. For the record I think Daniel’s ends up the best player in this draft. And out of the agreed upon top three I’ve switched from Holmgren for sure to Banchero.

Banchero becoming an elite offensive fulcrum at his size now seems more probable than Chet’s physical profile not being an issue. Both are much better bets than Jabari learning how to dribble or play make. Ivey shouldn’t be considered he’s just a lesser version than green and since they are 6’4” not 6’7” we don’t need two.

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d be totally fine with Koloko.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Duren definitely won’t be there at 17 but those other could.

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Yes, that Box and One video is super revealing about Griffin's deficiencies. I can't see him falling past Washington since that team needs his shooting. Then again, they could sell this pick for future draft considerations.

The Wizards worked their magic to get out of Wall's contract, but they left themselves with a bleak draft future. With the right offer, a win-now playoff team might be able to nab Griffin or one of the bigs at #10.

I'm all for Griffin and Sharpe falling (which should happen) as that brings other players down the board.

D-rock and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I highly doubt Griffin is available at 17. Vegas doesn’t think he falls past 12. I do think he’s worth moving up for as he’s the 2nd best shooter in this draft and one of the youngest players in this draft, and can play without the ball at a position of need. If he fell to 11 or 12 he’s worth gambling on. That assumes his medical isn’t horrible, which it may be.

D-rock likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Teams like the Pacers, Thunder, Magic, Spurs etc would take flyers on Griffin as they need offensive production.

The Rockets are the exact opposite of this. They need defense in the worst way. Sochan, Eason, Dieng, and Daniels are the targets for them. Even Duren. Not sure if they feel like they need to trade up to get one of them because 17th is in that awkward area where they all might be gone.

D-rock, Corrosion and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  19. j@amc

j@amc Member

This is why I think OKC is Griffin's absolute floor. If the Thunder hold on to pick #12, I think they can come away with either Sharpe or Griffin.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If they want defense Dieng does not ring the bell. He is two years away from being a rotation player in the NBA, because of how timid he plays. Saying that the Rockets might take a flyer on him and let him learn at RGV. Sochan would be my target, but to get him I think we have to give up a lot. I think he might not even be available at 10 or 11.

D-rock likes this.