1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t think it’s something they need to rush to fill without seeing how things play out first. If we were on the cusp of trying to compete for a title, then it would be an immediate need.

But I don’t see the need to force it now without giving Sengun a chance first to see if he can be an adequate defensive anchor. Let’s see what Garuba can do. Let’s see what rookies we get and what they bring.

We got one more developmental year before they really should be expected to make a real push for a playoff spot.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So what is it, is it just not wanting Ayton, not wanting Ayton at near max or max money or just not wanting a defensive big altogether? I don't mind the first two scenarios because not everyone is a fan of Ayton but this team needs a big, specifically one that can defend. I don't care if it's Ayton or Mitchell Robinson or a second tour of Hartenstein, we need a big on this roster and I'm all for using Gordon to get that big if necessary.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we have any available minutes at C. Sengun is going to gobble 30+ purely at C next year. Garuba and Banchero will take the rest.

Look Rockets Bradda, I love a good backup C. Mutombo behind Yao, Nene behind Clint. Etc... But that is a luxury for a contending team that is trying to stack wins. We aren't there yet, IMO.

If you can get a developing project that fits our timeline, that doesn't require minutes, and isn't expensive, like Kessler/Williams/Duren/Sochan, sure. The worst thing you could do, IMO, is to grab a guy like Hartenstein to take away from the development of others. Hartenstein should go be a backup C on a contender. We should be patient and focus on development.

4. StevieCrossover

My opinion, I'd keep Gordon. He's been a loyal player to the Rockets and won't affect payroll long term.

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think there is a case to be made for Ayton, but I am not terribly high on him. I can see what you are getting at though.

6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Starting to think EG has no trade value in terms of getting picks

We could get an equivalent over the hill player making 20 mil but that’s the last thing we want.

I dunno it’s not looking good

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I get it but I'm still wondering how a team that ranked 2nd to last or dead last in most defensive stats/metrics is going to fix itself without adding the proper players to do so. Expecting Sengun and Garuba to make huge strides on the defensive end is asking for a lot imo.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If this is true, I am glad Raf is holding on, because NBA GMs are dead wrong.

Sixers/Suns/Bucks, etc would have greatly improved their ring chases with EG this year, so screw them.

Playoff EG is better than 75% of the guys getting minutes in the playoffs.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I can’t believe that Morey wouldnt deal #23, Danny Green, and expirings for EG. Or Milwaukee for that matter at #24

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're assuming Morey didn't. When clutch already reported the rockets turned down offers. Philly was one of the 7 teams capable. And they did trade their #22 to the nets

4 months later they end up with a late first in this draft they didn't want prior. the irony

11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah especially because Morey/Harden seem to love Eric.

Milwaukee might but they desperately need to draft a center.

jcmoon and Aruba77 like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't care if this is being short sighted or future instant gratification. But there's going to be some real low moments next year, when we watch Rocket regular season games. The words 'save us Gordon' will be muttered.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Stone either wants to package Gordon and picks to move up which is very unlikely or will want a future pick. Otherwise, he will just stand pat. We don’t even have room for the 3 picks we already have much less 4. I’ll be shocked if we use all 3 picks this year.

KingSamJack and jcmoon like this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm not against adding a defensive big. I was on the Mark Williams bandwagon early on and if Duren is there at 17 or even trading up a couple of picks to get him I would be on board.

I'm not even completely against Ayton.

I'm not completely against trading for a guy like Bamba.

But I also don't think the Rockets have to force anything at this time. Sengun will more than likely be a starter now and I'd like to give him a full season in that role to see how he improves.

How will Garuba improve? Will Bruno be back and will he continue to impress when he gets minutes? Which ever rookie big we get (likely Paolo) how will they look defensively?

Basically I'm just saying given the circumstances and expectations, getting a known commodity at the big position isn't mandatory imo. If they add a guy like that in Ayton, awesome. Just don't think it's a must do this off season.

steddinotayto and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Why do we need to fix our defense this year? It's a matter of timing and where we are in the rebuild.

Ayton is still going to have some competition for his services and a team like Portland and Charlotte are in far more need and are more desperate for a defensive center/defensive presence.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If Ayton was worth the max, Phoenix would have already signed him. Even 25-30m is an overpay in my opinion.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Im against adding any centers to this roster, especially the rim runner/paint protector types. Those are among the cheapest and readily available players in free agency. If we actually want that, just wait until you're in contention and use your MLE.

Here was a #17 for #10 trade last year:

Memphis In: #10, #40, Lakers 2022 1st (top 10 protected), Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe
    New Orleans In: #17, #51, Jonas Valanciunas

It's not at all outrageous to believe #17, #26 and Gordon could get you up into the #10-11 range.

Deuce likes this.
  18. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

somebody will pay a first for gordon, simply because they have to go for it and there are limited players they can add. time is running out for them as golden state is making another run and they need to catch up. i'm totally fine holding on to gordon otherwise and just resign him cheap when his contract runs out. we'll need him after this year to make the playoffs. i think he can play till like 37.he'd still be good for 20 minutes.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What would it take to get OG Anunoby from Toronto?
    EGO plus a first plus ?a talent?

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if we got offered a pick in the twenties for Gordon, but would Stone want it. I don’t think so.