1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not, on any thought of trading Bregman for Rondon.
    Follow me:
    Bregman goes to Angels. Becomes The new commissioner of Trouts fantasy football league. Trout is stress free now he is relieved of his duties. Goes on epic run now that his mind is free. Wins MVP, and a world series.
    Hard pass no matter the offer even if they throw in Ohtani.

2. Landry's Tooth

All fair points that may be true... i would kick the tires on it though if Bregman doesn't snap out of it. Can't hurt to hash out details and then make a decision.

Just thought of Rendon due to a national story highlighting the bind the angels payroll is in making an elite player when healthy on the market.

From an Angels perspective, Taylor Ward has had time at 3b. If he can handle it they could move Bregman to short and fletcher to 2b. They aren't very good right now at 2b so it solves that issue. Also frees up a spot for Adell to play everyday. That's on top of saving maybe 15 million a year that can be used on ohtani who is wanting 40+.

Personally, i don't think he's worth it given his batting slump and injury risk, but they may have backed themselves into a corner from a marketing perspective with fans...

3. Landry's Tooth

Lmao...

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Bregman snaps out of this soon

He has hit into bad luck quite a bit lately and still walking and not striking out.

He is an above average on base top of the order guy below average run producing middle of the order guy.

I predict moving up to. 260 avg, .370 OBP with 35 2b but only 15 hr.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I will take it. Hit him 7th and I’m good.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So you either want Yuli, the CF or the C ahead of him in the order?

This thread was filled with some pretty ridiculous stuff since early on

But the last few days it's become one of the most ridiculous message board threads on the net

7. Buck Turgidson

Oh, I have ridiculous ideas, too. Just wait.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I actually want him to hit 2nd or 1st ( in order)

The Beard likes this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No- I want us to trade for a big hitting first baseman and then hit said 1st baseman 3rd and Peña 6th. Bottom of the order would be Bregs, Meyers and catcher.
    Bregs has a 101 OPS plus. He’s been 1% better than league average this year. 7th place would be an appropriate place in a World Series caliber lineup for someone with a 101 OPS+ to hit. What I suggested was what should happen after we trade for a 1B that can hit, as I called for a couple days ago. And a couple weeks. And in the I think most of Astros fandom thinks is going to happen before the deadline.

#689 Wulaw Horn, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

2nd hitter is supposed to be your best hitter. Leadoff guy is supposed to be your fastest of the best 3 hitters on your team. Alex Bregman is neither of those guys right now.

The modern saber lineup construction that is optimized to make the most sense in todays game:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

essentially if you are going by this
    Altuve hits leadoff
    Tucker hits second
    Alvarez hits 4th
    Who we you believe your 4th best hitter to be hits 5th
    Whoever you believe your 5th best hitter to be hits 3rd
    Then the rest of the guys hit in descending order.
    So:
    Altuve
    Tucker
    New 1st baseman
    Yordan
    Brantley
    Peña
    Bregman
    Meyers
    Catcher

that would be our ideal lineup for the playoffs against RHP.
    Against a lefty substitute Chaz for Brantley and hit Chaz behind Bregman and in front of Meyers.

#690 Wulaw Horn, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You realize that this " modern saber lineup construction" article you posted the link for is from 2009 before modern saber metrics really existed right?

jiggyfly and The Beard like this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No- it’s held up and is still relevant/current. Modern saber metrics trace to Bi James in the 80’s and 90’s and implementation in the 2000’s under Billy Beane. By 2009 this stuff had been analyzed for over a decade and this was consensus- the consensus hasn’t much changed. It’s being quoted even later (2012 I believe) as a call back to the most relevant scholarship on the subject). That’s still current thought for appropriate lineup construction.

from 2020 saying essentially the same thing:
    https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/strategy/batting-order-sabermetrics/

from 2015:
    https://venomstrikes.com/2015/01/05/optimizing-batting-order-teams-can-score-runs/amp/

2022- talking about hitting Soto 2nd and how 7 of the last 10 MVP’s hit 2nd and the Nats research:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/03/24/nationals-juan-soto-lineup-analysis/

#692 Wulaw Horn, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I don't hate the idea, although I hate most of your weird ideas. Don't love it though.

Who is this magical wizard 1st baseman you speak of and what riches are you offering for recompense?

Htown Legend likes this.
  14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

1. R Maldonado C
    2. L Alvarez RF
    3. R Siri LF
    4. L Brantley DH
    5. R Bregman SS
    6. L Tucker CF
    7. R Altuve 1B
    8. R Gurriel 3B
    9. R Pena 2B

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s not my idea and it’s not weird- it’s literally the new book on standard operating procedure since the saber revolution.
    If I had my way the new 1B would be Bell. He’s in his walk year. He’s pretty good. He shouldn’t be expensive. I would bet that the most he would cost would be 2 45 grade prospects or
    1 50 grade prospect. Rhys Hoskins is also in his walk year and should be pretty cheap. Philly today probably fancies themselves a contender but they are in 8th place and the 6 teams above them are much better than them, so if they become sellers by August 2nd I’d be happy with him.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Did you pick names out of a hat here? I don’t understand what this is supposed to symbolize.

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I'm scratching my head reading this thread. I'm glad none of you work in the front office or manage this team lol.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I accept what you are saying here. I just thought it was funny.

I will read the various links you posted and do some research and come up with my ideas.

Just from a 43 yr of fandom and ZERO personal experience, here's my take.

Leadoff: gets the most PA and frequently w/O anyone on base. Sets the table for run producers. Best OB% guy who isn't top 2-3 in SLG or HR. Fewer strikeouts, speed, and seeing lots of pitches are valuable bonuses

2nd: handles the bat well. Strikes out the least and excels at situational hitting.

3rd: hitter most likely to keep an inning alive. Run producer with lowest K and ground ball rates.

4th; top HR and SLG guy most likely to drive in runners as the guys in front of him are on base most often.

5th: the best remaining hitter to drive in runs if 4th hitter fails and to protect 4th hitter from getting pitched around.

6th: best HR and SLG guy left.

7th: best remaining hitter

8th: slower of the 2 remaining.

9th: worst hitter who can actually run to not clog bases for top of order.

Again. Just a fan perspective.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Since this is a trade talk thread let's bring it back.

Based on what I see on the various lineup sources is that this team has a lack of production and protection after Alvarez and Tucker or between them if you prefer a RH bat between them.

From that I think we are back to where we were several posts ago.

This team needs a big RH run producing bat for the middle of the lineup and 1b, 3b, CF, and C are the positions that are hitting below expectations.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This thread caught AIDS on page 32. I am seeing like 3 comments per page with all the posters I have on ignore.

jiggyfly, The Beard and Nook like this.