1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Has that actually been confirmed anywhere?

D-rock likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm thinking his ceiling is modernized Chris Webber. Which would be amazing!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the supposed measurement from his Rocket workout. Not sure if it counts as "official".

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Soon as the deep dives began I started to regret gassing him up so much. Im cool with any of the big guys, but obviously Paolo is my preference.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Since it looks like Banchero will be the pick at #3…
    • The biggest need in the Draft (with either #17 or #26, or a higher, possibly #12-#15ish, after packaging them both) is a rim-protector.
    • If we keep both picks, I think getting positional versatility (2-way) and team-play are the most important factors to target with the other pick, assuming we go C with one of the two.
    Rim Protectors:
    - Mark Williams | C | 7’1” 242; 7’7” Wingspan | Duke | Soph. | 20.5

Likely Draft Range: #9-#16ish

- Jalen Duren | C | 6’10” 250; 7’5” Wingspan | Memphis | Fr. | 18.6
    Likely Draft Range: #9-#15ish

- Walker Kessler | C | 7’1” 256; 7’4” Wingspan | Auburn | Soph. | 20.9
    Likely Draft Range: #17-#30ish

- Christian Koloko | C | 7’0” 221; 7’5” Wingspan | Arizona | Jr. | 21.9
    Likely Draft Range: #23-34ish

Mark Williams would be the prize of this group, not only because I think he's bound to be a high-level NBA rim-protector/rim-runner, but because of his Duke-chemistry with Banchero. Duren is likely to go around the same range, and was generally ranked above Williams by most scouts, but it seems pretty even currently. I don't think Duren is as likely to be the pick for us, but in the off chance that he slips to #17, I'd happily take him (assuming Williams is gone). I think most likely, we'd have to trade up to get either one. Williams' fluidity, vertical explosiveness and motor are pretty rare for a guy who's 7'1" with a 7'7" wingspan. Having him would ease most of the defensive concerns created by pairing Banchero/Sengun together.

Kessler isn't as mobile/athletic as the top two, but he's still an incredible rim-protector. He seems more suited to be a rotational rim-protecting big, which fits what we need. I'd be happy with him at #26, but he might be a slight reach at #17. Koloko would be a good consolation prize at #26 if none of the above are available. He's basically an older, poor man's Mark Williams.

Versatility/Team-Play:
    - Dalen Terry | PG/SG | 6’7” 195 | 7’1” Wingspan | Arizona | Soph. | 19.9

Likely Draft Range: #18-#32ish

- Jalen Williams | SG/PG | 6’6” 209 | 7’2” Wingspan | Santa Clara | Jr. | 21.2
    Likely Draft Range: #12-#21ish

- Ousmane Dieng | SF/SG | 6’10” 195 | 7’0” Wingspan | France | Intl. | 19.0
    Likely Draft Range: #13-#23ish

I'm a huge fan of Dalen Terry's potential fit on our team. His raw stats may not pop out at you, but his value goes beyond the stat-sheet, as an unselfish/efficient/high-IQ big Guard who can hit the open 3 and defend multiple positions. He'd be an amazing pick at #26, and I might even consider him at #17. He shot 50/36/74 last year (59% TS).

Jalen Williams has been rising, and might be out of reach for us. He's a well-rounded scorer who can play 1-2-3 on both ends, and create a bit for others. He's more NBA-ready than the others, and has a crazy 7'2" wingspan as well. If he falls to #17, I could see us picking him. He shot 51/40/81 last season (60% TS).

Dieng is the raw talent that would take a few years, but he's always had impressive ball-skills for a 6'10" guy. He'd obviously need some time (and weight), but if he ends up becoming the 6'10" point-forward he could become, that'd make our core very interesting. If we take him at #17, we'd probably grab someone NBA-ready at #26.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It was astounding that people were putting so much weight behind twitter rando's saying who were the top prospects.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jokic, arguably the best passing big man in recent history averaged around 8 assists per game in his last two MVP seasons. I doubt any big man will come close to that in the foreseeable future. (BTW, Chris Webber, one of the best passing bigs averaged 5.8 apg at his peak.)

Sometimes people get carried away about the player they like.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No it has not. It was hyperbolic talk in a podcast.
    I can’t find anywhere about it being an actual measurement.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Or using a purely stat based argument without watching tape or applying context. Call me crazy, but I might be willing to give up 3 and other capital to move up to 1 and make sure we can land him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I would do it, I think he is that type of player, especially considering how much draft capital we have moving forward.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It would easily be worth giving up something like the 17th pick if you had a guy you clearly rated as the best. For the Rockets that could be Banchero. I don’t think I would do it but I’d understand it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another draft, but same old Stone, always telegraphing his draft preferences.

Little Bit and KingSamJack like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea but the choice isn't up to him; it's also up to the other two teams in front of him

Drift Monkey, jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

We know about this since April... April it's why stone was happy with #3.

Drift Monkey, red5rocket and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I wouldn't either.

Pure stupidity to give away a pick when high probability that Rockets will get Banchero at #3 because he is the consensus #3.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course, but he could have rode that Ivey rumor like a champ.

He just can't do it, he shows his ass too early all the time.

KingSamJack likes this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

To what end?