1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Someone the other day was arguing with me here with absolute certainty that Wood was going to fetch us something like the 11th pick in the draft.

I’m not at all happy to be correct about my replies to him.

Let this be a reminder to the dream trade people here…. Always put yourself in the shoes of the other GM’s, look at their cap sheet, their assets, and their ambitions for the next two seasons…. Then lastly consider popularity/personality. Christian Wood was a really really difficult player to move for value. Which is probably why we got what felt like a steal with him in free agency a few years ago.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible. It's also possible he changes.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That is absolutely possible. I could definitely see Wood blossoming in the right circumstances. Then again, how strong is the possibility he would have changed here?

4. Rockets4Life13

It's delusional to assume that only Rockets fans watch their games and see the problems with Wood. If 98% of clutchfans is happy that a player is gone, chances are other franchises aren't to keen to add him to their roster either.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

After sleeping on it would have preferred to take back a “bad” deal to get a better asset.

Idk what stone thinks he’s going to be able to do in FA next year , but ... especially if we suck ass again , no one is going to want to come here without a premium .

maybe it’s good for trades right now that we have 4 contracts instead of 1 and not happening till the draft means we can work some deals with those guys . But , not hopeful .

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Unfortunately, The League has film on Wood. The market set his worth at the 26th pick in a weak draft and roster filler plus 33 year old NBA Legend Boban Marjanović.

The Rockets had to move Wood this offseason to clear PT for their younger players AND if there was any hope of teaching the younger players Team Defense Wood's veteran presence needed to be on a different roster.

I hope the Mavs enjoy their one year of Christian Wood.

7. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

exactly what I’m thinking

Milos likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not sure why anybody would be upset with this return. Getting a first round pick for one of the league's worst defenders who's about to get a payday next offseason is an unquestionable win.

No team was giving up a premium asset, even if they included a bad contract. Just wasn't ever happening for somebody of Wood's level.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

plenty of folks are upset because plenty of folks pushed the narrative wood was extremely talented and has a ton of value

*Reality check* once again

Patience, Nook, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It’s not just about FA IMO. We’re in a really good position to be active in trades with our young players and future picks.

Milos and madbomber like this.
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think we probably could have gotten more under different circumstances, but given said circumstances I'm not too upset honestly. We had to get rid of him and he has more value as a number 3 option (which we thought he was gonna be when we originally signed him).

Again, a pick in the low 20s would have been nice but whatever.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody who watched Christian Wood play basketball the last two years should have issue with this return. I can only assume people disappointed by what we got did not watch the games.

There is a reason you have never seen Christian Wood in a playoff game. There's a reason Christian Wood has been on 6 teams in 7 years.

He's Westbrook-esque. Puts up numbers but does not help you win.

Drift Monkey, Patience, Milos and 2 others like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is the same board that loved the acquisitions of melo, mcw, westbrick, chriss, ennis. let that sink in and you shouldn't be surprised regarding wood. Wood isn't the last to be incredibly overvalued to such a mediocre player. It's what cf's does

Drift Monkey and J Sizzle like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, but I bet all those folks change their votes now . . . kind of like @CK Johnson

:D

Drift Monkey and YOLO like this.
  16. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

This is the argument with guys at work and “ we got a bunch of scrubs …blah blah .” The pick is the gold prize here . It’s needed to do more moves and we flipping it . I keep telling coworkers those players expire this year and they don’t get it how it works lol .

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

So when people say this is addition by subtraction, do they realize the Rockets were 1-13 without Wood in the lineup last year?

We are tanking for Wemby with this trade, which I’m fine with.

madbomber and jcmoon like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol @ tanking for wemby. And with wood they still had the worst record. It doesn't matter if he played or not. He's a loser who doesn't impact winning. the logic around here still amazes me with how bad it is

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2956721-2022-nba-mock-draft-2-round-predictions-and-latest-buzz

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...icks-surprise-prospect-jumping-into-top-five/

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nba-m...lMRj5DE-NNdHfa1FltkMmVSA-c6Awtv2Oi07271xoXtgg

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fa...-nba-mock-draft-3-0-week-before-draft-edition

Every time I see you Kai Sotto guys I go and look at various mocks and see if anything is changed but I can never even find one that has him being drafted AT ALL, much less in the first round. I am linking 5 recent mocks here that don't have him being drafted in either round, but I also looked at the Ringer and they didn't show him being drafted either (though they don't seem to cover the second round).

If the Rockets want him it seems like they'll be able to sign him as an undrafted free agent. No need to waste even a second round pick on him, much less a first.

jnuge90 likes this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If Portland wants to continue to fake compete for a title the guys we got in this trade are good players to have for depth. Plus Ego and maybe Tate and our hoard of picks.