1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

They're ok players...who couldn't get minutes in Dallas. Rotation fillers. Dallas pretty psyched about the deal...Woods fills their need. Would have drafted for that, but 26th pick is a crap shoot, and likely gotten a rebounder and maybe shot blocker, but with limited scoring.

This does seem like the kind of trade people make in fantasy leagues when they don't know what they are doing.

lionaire and Xerobull like this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stepping back, now you can package picks 17,26 & including next year’s Milwaukee pick and Really move up. League execs know that Wood is a bit of a head case and now you don’t have to answer questions about Wood when negotiating. Teams love the potential of picking the right guy in the draft. This seems like a bridge move in chess to get to a better move long term. If nothing else you’ve saved money and improved the culture by not extending CWood.

BigDog63 and Drift Monkey like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The players are just expiring contracts that will probably be cut.

The pick is nothing on its own, but it'll likely be used as part of a bundle to move up in the draft.

The Rockets just dumped a locker room cancer, took nothing but expiring contracts back, and most likely helped improve their draft positron.

How is that not a win all around?

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

With the talk of rookies not wanting to play with Wood, I'm sure veterans thought the same. I firmly believe this is the best offer we could've gotten and I'm satisfied. It wasn't going to work anyway (with Banchero/Smith/Holmgren) being added to the roster.

Also, Mavericks were never going to use that pick. Draft and stash at best. Basically, a one year rental. Especially if Wood ask for max money.

Win-WIn for both teams.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Wood were to ask for a max deal, I’m pretty sure that would be enough to diagnose him with delusional disorder according to the DSM-5

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Whelp.

Boban was in John Wick, so that’s cool and stuff.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Currently has the #1 movie on Netflix.

Drift Monkey and Xerobull like this.
  9. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

lol at the people mad at Stone for this trade.

You really think he didn't call around and see if anyone actually wanted Wood for something better?

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

a better GM/coach, or one with a different approach, would have tried for playoffs, gave Sengun a proper role/minutes/ROY honors/PO experience and got 3 FRPs for Wood in the process...2 FRPs for Ego etc dont forget other role players we got nothing for
    but would have missed on the TOP 3 PICK

this is what tanking does to you, it tank the values all of your assets, you got one top pick but lose multiple years of proper development and multiple FRPs

Entropy and Xerobull like this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I had a dream last night that I was returning dog food to a Walmart in Dallas. Close to the return desk was a bunch of Rockets gear for sale. Then I woke up to this deal.

I’m not making this up. I guess Wood is dog food?

Drift Monkey, Entropy, Nook and 5 others like this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm on board the Braun train as well. Guy has a high motor, very competitive, good slasher, good handles and solid 3 pointer and most of all tremendous leadership. He wants to win. That's the kind of guy you get to keep the culture right on the team.

groovemachine and Aruba77 like this.
  13. Iknako

Iknako Member

Such a g day!! You wanna a rim protector stone give you boban! This is not daily agreement Stone cut the future problems. We need a good draft night. Yeah baby!

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His upside is as a defender I believe.
    One of the most athletic guys in this draft and a dog, but………he has a short wingspan and don’t think he can play the 3.
    Not sure there’s room for him on the team

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if wood was on a good team hed be worth 2-3 frps...stones fault is tanking to get a top 3 pick but he lost a year of sengun development and multiple FRPs in proces by devaluing our vets and rookies, garuba is worthless right now, sengun also, had he let him play enough minutes to get ROY hed be worth 3 FRPS NOW EASILY and/or surely a top pick in this draft...
    you lose more by tanking than what value you recover with the top pick...
    dont forget he also denied us a full season or 2 of real basketball....you cant quantify that..so many precious and dear moments of joy and excitement...

16. MystikArkitect

I'm not sure if I've ever been as happy for a player to be off this team. The closest two are Ryan Anderson and Jeremy Lin. Maybe Russ after that. At least those guys played their role and didn't try to be more than they were.

Whoever the 26 turns into will be a more positive impact on this team than Christian Wood.

Patience likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's going to be the issue with pretty much any guard. I mean, I like that Braun can shoot, but the team simply doesn't need any more SG's.

cmoak1982 and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

No doubt the Rockets could get a better deal if they were willing to take on bad contracts, but that's not their goal. Wood may arguably be the best or second best player on the Rockets, but he's not a star and not worth the headache. Will miss his contribution to the tank, but definitely glad he's gone.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope to see him in the next James Bond movie.

Aruba77 likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m with you on Wood, Anderson and Lin. I do think Russ played his heart out while he was a rocket and even adjusted his game to fit in as best he could. I don’t hate Russ, but I do hate the trade we made for him. Wood on the other hand gave inconsistent effort and quit on his team. I think there’s a big difference.