1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And there's part of the problem. More people charging need more charging stations, but they better be faster charging. I can't stand it nowadays when even gas stations get backed up with people pumping gas, but at least they're done usually in 5-10 mins. I don't want people sitting around "filling up" for 30 minutes. This isn't a dang tourist attraction. :D

Sajan likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Then there's the apartment dweller problem...

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

So let me get this straight, electric cars are more expensive to buy, more expensive to fix, have lower range, are inefficient in cold weather, and take how long to charge? Enough time for convenience stores to pup op so people can go shopping while their car charges? Why would anyone want to willingly pay for all of this? Seems like a step backwards...

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

No all EV's are created equal. You already know this, but the purpose is to reduce broad pollution. A good EV has less maintenance and can last 3x - 4x longer than an ICE vehicle.

Charge time will largely not be an issue. Charging stations will be anywhere there is power. Long road trips will be broken up every so often for a 15 minutes charge. On long road trips, you wont go to a 'gas' station to charge. Restaurants, rest stops and other touristy places will take the place of modern gas stations.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

We can't even get phones to charge quickly and last long... Not sure about them reducing pollution either, I mean the energy has to come from somewhere.... I'm not trying to turn this into an argument thou, I like Teslas... I think they are cool, I just don't see electric replacing anything for a very very long time. Quite possible probably never will.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Per capita,, BC has the most EV in North America, Tesla for Taxi ,food delivery is quite common ,fuel prices is also the highest .

I want a Rivian so that when they bankrupt I get a limited collector edition that will hold its value in the future

#906 Exiled, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah but the common man still can't afford an EV... When they start costing 20K brand new and can offer the range and reliability a Corolla does I think things will get serious.... There is a place for EV's don't get me wrong. Like the Rivian you want, its insane.... The thing EV's do is honestly crazy performance wise. But the masses need a car that will get them from point A to point B..... How long til companies can produce good EV's for cheap. How long til we find out how long these things will last.

Exiled likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

10% of cars globally sold last year were EVs - vs about 5% in 2020. The segment is growing and growing quickly. Like all new products, the prices goes down as there is more mass production and efficiency. And the infrastructure comes when the market is large enough to be profitable. I'm sure gas powered cars were way more expensive than horse carriages when they first came out too. And there were no gas stations for cross-country trips either.

For now, maybe the limit for electric cars is 20% or 30% or 50% of the market. As they get cheaper and charging gets easier, that number will keep growing. Europe is aiming to go to 100% EVs in 13 years.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah but gas powered cars don't have extremely expensive and rare materials in them. The batteries in EV's do. Atleast for now. Things may change. 13 years is not happening. Even if the price dropped every year, that's millions of people switching from affordable and reliable cars they can work on themselves for a completely new platform they will likely not be able to afford parts for or work on themselves.

I'd give it something like 40+ years before EV's are as common as gas cars worldwide... Assuming they stick around.

Sajan likes this.
  10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think it'll go much, much faster. EVs don't contribute nearly as much greenhouse gases. It's the only option if we want to retain a semblance of our current life.

They also don't have a lot of parts that you need to work on. Brakes, tires, cabin air filters, wiper fluid, wiper blades. That's about it. The rest is software.

Charging is only something you have to think about if you can't charge at home or you're on a 250+ mile trip. Otherwise, plug it in at home and go to sleep.

Think of gasoline-powered rigs as albums. Yeah, it was the standard for a long time. 8-tracks were OK, but nowhere close to an LP. Cassettes came along and they were better but you still had to wind them with a pencil when they went haywire. Nobody just had a cassette. You had a turntable and you recorded records to cassette. Then there were CDs, a much better choice and now we have digital and clouds and the whole freaking history of music at our fingertips. Right now, EVs are 8-tracks but the transition from 8-tracks to MP3s was only about 15 years. I think we'll be mostly EV in 15 and some countries have even set dates as early as 2028 and 2030 to end ICE sales.

The battery tech will improve and lots of people are working on ancillary tech. Some will make it, many will crash. Here's one example that looks kind of cool.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

What we need is lighter batteries + double the current age. Maybe Solid state batteries?
    That changes the game on how often a looooot of people have to charge.

But the current lithium batteries are not going to do it. It's a good start but not what's going to replace the ICE cars..

Salvy likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah this is not true, the only thing maitnance wise different is the power plant. A gas powered car will need oil changes, an electric does not but thats were it ends... Electric cars still have motors, motors have relays, selenoids, gears, electrical components, computers, ecus, ecms, sensors and the list goes on and on. All these components can break at the same rate that an alternator, water pump, oil pump, turbo can break on a gas powered motor.

Away from the motor both cars are the same, its not just brakes, tires, batteries and wiper blades.

Its shocks/struts, brake calipers, control arms, bushings, tie rods, alignment, lights, even trunks have actuators. I mean the list is really long when you start to actually think of it...

The only thing EVs offer over gas is performance in my opinion. The cost of gasoline under normal circumstances is very managable. Electricity also costs money, you may save some money but is it worth the hassle? Time will tell..

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You continually show you don't have a clue about anything and it seems you are a step away from trolling this thread to get the attention you crave.

You ignore the fact that mechanical engines are not in the equation with EV's and try and claim they are essentially the same.

The bolded part is simply not true and makes me think you don't actually know much about cars and their mechanicals.

14. Major

Major Member

Things obviously vary depending on location, what kind of gas car you have and such, but at current national average gas and electricity prices and efficiencies, if you drive 12k miles per year, you'd save about $2000/yr ($5 gas, $0.15 electricity, 25mpg gas car). A year ago, with lower gas prices, that would have obviously been less. But you also get relative cost certainty instead of freaking out about gas prices as electricity cost is far more stable. And then if you have access to subsidized electricity (charging station at work, etc), then that goes up even more - though long-term, I assume those things will not survive.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With the infrastructure law, we're going to have DC fast-charging installed every 50 miles along our main interstate corridors within a few years. The Texas plan will have it every 50 miles on corridors, plus a station in every county seat, plus tbd stations in urban areas, all with federal funds. The great majority of EV charging happens at home and that's likely to continue, but the ability to charge on the go is about to undergo a significant transformation.

After rebates, you can get a Leaf for $18k and go 156 miles on a charge.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is the problem I'm facing - much of what I want is "TBD" or "it's coming". If they could at least get the battery tech to improve range across the board, I'd feel better even with the interstate gaps in charging stations. All I'm doing is waiting for now. Luckily, even though my car is 8 years old, it's running fine. It's only got around 120k miles on it, so I'm not too worried (now, I've jinxed myself). If that changes, I'll have a decision to make.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

You are so sensative about everything, no one is bashing evs..... You probably drive one and feel offended... Enjoy your ride man....

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They named it @Ziggy ? Crap.

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MachE for 60k? I’d rather prepay for 20k in gas and use an ICE for another 5 years.

cheke64 likes this.
  20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thankfully my current ICE probably has another 10+ years to it and I am cheap at a baseline.

dmoneybangbang likes this.