1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Republicans Are Ready To Announce Their 2024 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CCorn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

If they hear about it they hear about it, it's unavoidable, but they aren't going to hear about it from their teacher, it's not their job. My teachers growing up in public school never broached those issues, and they do not need to do so now. Every job has its parameters and boundaries, even teachers.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hear about what? That gay people exist in the world? How is that in any way offensive?

If you want to shelter your kids from such realities, that is your prerogative as a parent. Find a different school for them. I don't know understand why you think you have a right to impose such restrictions on other kids and skew their perception on what is "natural" versus "unnatural" to be in accordance with your religious point of view.

Zboy, TheJuice, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That simply isn't true. In almost every school I attended (in the sixties and early seventies, no less) at some point there was a mention or even discussion around spouses. heck, in many schools there were married couples in schools. This new law would put any gay teacher at risk for even mentioning their spouse.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

right now don't see how anyone other than Trump or DeSantis has a shot at the nomination, but things can change

Nook likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

@durvasa , imo, did a great job of just...exposing your beliefs I'll say politely...

My issue isn't your opinion. I don't care too much about ignorant beliefs that have proven to be scientifically wrong...what I do care about is when people use these beliefs to deny rights to others or in general affect policy and law. That's where the line is crossed with me. You can believe a group of people are stupid, dumb, violent, whatever...but when you want to impose rules on those people that don't apply to others, that line is crossed for me.

So, I think, that's what liberals, and I mean liberal as in the technical definition of it, not democrats, have a problem with your concept. You're calling others unhinged and yet you are willing to take away rights for some people and set different rules for them because of YOUR personal belief system. Who is the unhinged one here?

6. SuraGotMadHops

What rights are being deprived? The right to educate children about same sex relationships? I don't see anywhere where that is a right.

7. SuraGotMadHops

So?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The fact is you want there to be different rules for a different group of people. Do you educate children about straight relationships? Why should that be different?

I get that you think if you ignore these people, they'll go away. It's just true. You're wrong on the science and that's what matters here. For example, I always laugh when people say "It's not natural" because actually...it is. It actually does happen with other primates. Other being the keyword there because we too are primates...it's a very natural thing that happens in nature, in the wild, and has been happening since forever. I'm sorry but whether a kid learns about same sex relationships in schools or not there will still be gay kids. If you have a gay kid you ignoring same sex relationships will not turn them straight. I'm sorry. You're just going to have to deal with your 'mentally ill' kid.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

They dont need to be educated on any relationships. Incidental things here and there (Snow White example somebody brought up) so be it.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That very same example you said you would not like it if the cartoon was about a male kissing another male but it's fine if it's a woman.

Now flip this up. What if any other class of people was the issue and you said "I don't want my kids learning these people exist." do you not see how this would become an issue?

You said because "A baby is born white or black" and made the classic...and I hate pointing out 'logical fallacies' because they are such internet debate memes, but you made that fallacy. My counter to that is homosexuality occurs in nature among other primates...so are orangutans actually being gay because of liberal propaganda or could it be that you're just wrong here and it's something that occurs naturally and as such you are discriminating against people because of something they cannot control?

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to defend @SuraGotMadHops for a moment. He's made his position clear that he doesn't like homosexuality, thinks it's unnatural and doesn't want anyone besides him and his wife teaching his kids about it. That is his right to hold those beliefs and it is his right to educate his children how he sees fit. I appreciate his honesty and forthrightness about his position even if I don't agree with it. Part of living in a diverse society is accepting that there are those who don't agree with you and recognizing they have a right to that belief.

That doesn't mean I agree with this law. SuraGotMadhops and others while entitled to their beliefs the role of a teacher in a public school is to educate children so they can be productive members of this society. Since this is a diverse society that means preparing them for that there are different family structures and different relationships. That in school not teaching that there are things like same sex relationships doesn't mean that those relationships don't exist especially given that there are students themselves who live in a family with a same sex relationship, teachers and other staff that are in a same sex relationship. While some might say that these children are too young to understand that seems strange then that a teacher could still talk about mixed gender families of students or themselves but not of same sex families.

Consider if during class time the subject is students talking their home life how is a teacher supposed to deal with if a student says that she has two mommies or daddies? Does the teacher just say "we don't talk about that?" That's likely to lead to more confusion and misunderstanding among the children.

Also again for a party that supposedly stands for small government this is a blunt big government solution. It takes the power out of the classroom and puts it into the hands of state bureaucrats to enforce state morality. It's exactly the type of thing that we hear Conservatives complain about regarding things like Common Core or other state educational standards. Further if teachers aren't going to even be able to acknowledge the existing of same sex relationships it will likely lead to more questions from students of their parents about those things. The result will be rather than keeping government morality out of families but leading to much more injection of it.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Report: Trump could face a contested primary in 2024

https://theweek.com/2024-presidenti...-trump-could-face-a-contested-primary-in-2024

excerpt:

At least 15 Republicans are laying the groundwork for a 2024 presidential bid, and some of them might enter the race even if former President Trump runs, The Washington Post reports.

Candidates involved in what the Post calls the "shadow campaign" for the 2024 nomination are meeting with donors, making trips to Iowa and New Hampshire, and delivering speeches setting out their visions for the party's future.

Per the Post, "{I}nterviews with over a dozen GOP operatives" suggest that Trump is "not clearing the field" despite numerous hints that he plans to make another bid for the White House. Trump pollster Tony Fabrizio predicted that "[t]hey're all going to run."

Members of Trump's own administration — including former Vice President Mike Pence, former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley, and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo — all appear to be mulling 2024 runs.

more at the link

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

As much as I would like to believe this, I have a hard time thinking the base will back anyone who doesn't have Trump`s endorsement and if Trump runs who would commit political suicide and run against him.........we saw Trump totally demolish the likes of Cruz and Rubio (only to have each of them go back and kiss his fat ass). I think the party belongs to Trump and whatever Trump wants he will get. If Trump were to run its lights out for every one else

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

This is the same logic used to avoid giving women the right to vote and segregation.

jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

I don't understand how this comparison translates. Homosexuals have never been deprived of voting rights, and they have never had to drink from separate water fountains as far as I can remember.

True, they weren't allowed to legally be married until pretty recently, but none of that bothers me one way or another. Ten bros could marry each other and live in an orgy commune and I wouldn't care - do what you want, just leave me alone about it.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

@SuraGotMadHops sure seems to think a lot about gay dudes...not that theres anything wrong with that.

jiggyfly and VooDooPope like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You want people to leave you alone about it but want to have a education system that indoctrinates children to believe being gay is wrong and therefore eventually will cause harassment and bullying towards LGBTQ folks because those children were brainwashed with religious propaganda.

Gay people want to be left alone also. Thy can't when people like you don't want to teach kids that being gay is okay. Because if you teach kids that it isn't, that will naturally cause hatred because people don't like things that are "wrong".

TheJuice likes this.
  19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Remember, we need to arm teachers to stop school shooters (because cops won't) but we can't let them mention their gay husband in class. Also they can't be in unions. And if we can't hire them any more it's because the government made "no one want to work anymore".

One thing I've found in rural America since moving here is that religious people equate "disagree with" with being offended. But then also equate "denying this person's right to exist or insisting this person shouldn't have rights" with disagreement. I guess that's what happens when your social life is church, football, and posting Trump memes online to piss off your liberal cousin.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member