1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uvalde cops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, May 26, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I see why they don’t want to cooperate and don’t want to speak on this in general…every time they do they just dig that hole deeper and deeper

Nook, jiggyfly and ElPigto like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not alot of detail here
    but The first comment is kind of . . .scary

In a state with Open Carry laws .. . and anyone can carry
    Literally speaking a person should be able to walk around with their gun out
    Without know the interaction . . . . I won't comment on the justification of the shooting
    but . . .if it was GUN and BOOM . . .without the person making a move . .. that would be concerning

Rocket River

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s the environment they’ve created…Texas has permitless open carry for what reason?

Nook and TheJuice like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly.
    We give everyone permitless open carry
    which means
    Cops can shoot them onsite - no questions asked

That's insane!!

Rocket River

Reeko likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true
    but somebody dressed like a ninja or going to a call of duty cos play party is probably suspicious

i mean look at the sandy hook kid
    [​IMG]

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Wouldn't Castle Doctrine allow then you to protect yourself from being shot at if you are legally carrying?

Weird this would sound like the tyranny the 2nd amendment is supposed to protect you against.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Castle Doctrine wouldn’t apply if you weren’t on your own property.

This though shows the problems with all of these laws like open carry. Rather than making things safer they make it more dangerous for everyone.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Most of the time the castle doctrine wouldn't apply since you have to be on your property. Additionally, you're assuming that courts would rule in favor of the civilian shooting the officer. If an officer is clearly identifiable, the odds of winning that case is nearly zero.

There was a case in Minneapolis (during the riots) where someone was acquitted in a case where an officer in an unmarked car shot rubber bullets at protestors (and so a civilian shot back in self defense). But that case hinged on the fact that the cop violated procedure by firing from an unmarked vehicle and it was impossible to know that it was an officer firing. The body cam footage also corroborated all of this (including the fact that the cops basically beat the defendant up guy after he had surrendered his weapon). But the consensus is that if the officer had fired from a police vehicle, the defendant would have actually been found guilty.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I understood Castle Doctrine to follow with you (aka Stand Your Ground). I agree with you, if the officer is clearly announced before shooting at you, but the last few posts are talking about a situation where the cops shoot first on anyone open carrying (especially if near a potential target). This may even include at a distance to get the "jump" on a potential mass shooter.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Took a lot of grief for saying that cops weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, particularly small town cops which are generally barely above security guard in IQ......Uvalde is proving my point.

DD

Blatz likes this.
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

In the Minneapolis scenario, the issue wasn't cops shooting without announcing. It was simply that the car wasn't marked. If the car clearly was a police car, they likely would have gotten away with just opening fire on protestors. Protestors carrying guns openly would only enhance their legal claims in that scenario.

The legal standard that protects cops is simply insurmountable in most instances.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Crazy

Rocket River

14. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah, also becomes an issue for another reason (if you recognize my name, look at my profile and notice something different...you'll know exactly what I mean with what I'm about to say...). We have certain classes of people who feel threatened because we've been told EXPLICITLY that we'll be threatened for existing in public. That makes me want to open carry, I don't want trouble, but I don't want to die.

But wait...to an outsider, I'm the scary person open carrying. Both of us are now likely to pull the trigger.

rocketsjudoka and Rocket River like this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Right to carry isn't a right to brandish. Having a pistol openly in a holster, or an AR-15 slung on its strap shouldn't get you killed, and walking around with your finger on the trigger should.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    Even with it on the Figure - One should not get shot without warning by LEO (or period)

Rocket River

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I always go back to Tamir Rice
    He was killed in less than 5 seconds
    Because he was 12 year old black boy playing with a toy gun.

Rocket River

mdrowe00, Reeko, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah. He would have been safer shouting to kill Mike Pence and pooping on the Capitol Rotunda. God bless Amerikkka.

dmoneybangbang and Rocket River like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also to note in that case once the defendent realized he was exchanging fire with LEO he surrendered right away.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Given what has happened recently LEO and others are on edge. Even not having a weapon in firing position could still lead to an overreaction on the part of others if someone shows up openly carried near a lot of children.

mdrowe00 and JuanValdez like this.