1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Extended: 6 years/$115 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 3, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course the beaning, suicide and stroke weren't expected. Those were external and concrete reason as to why they declined. The same with an injury.

If you're going to compare Bregman's decline, find a player who was MVP caliber and then became 10% above league average.

It is possible that he has yet to fully recover from his hand surgery and/or muscle injuries.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

Bagwell had no help?

Did you forget about the killer B's or Ken C?

rockbox likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

THIS is why I have a bit more patience with him than most. Even as he struggles, he's keeping his OBP competitive with walks and plate discipline. To maximize 2022 Bregman, I'd lead him off or hit him after C to keep him out of the popup / DP scenarios.

To be honest, I'd like to see lefties hitting 1,3,5 since we typically face more rightys.

Something like:
    1. Brantley
    2. Altuve
    3. Yordan
    4. Pena
    5. Tucker
    6. McCormick
    7. Gurriel
    8. Maldy
    9. Bregman

Yordan gets more RBI opportunities, Pena get's more ABs. Bregman gets more opportunities without a runner on 1B and DP/pop up .

But I'm just an amateur.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bellinger, Bryant, Yelich?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. bobrek

Much better examples.

Marshall Bryant and IdStrosfan like this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I agree. I just never followed non Astros that much.

7. HeyBudLetsParty

This board somehow forgot Breggy gets hot in the second half of the season

8. bobrek

Thus, my comment about his hand could still be bothering him.

9. Mattician

Mattician Member

I often think about flipping the lefties and righties in the lineup as well.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Htown Stros likes this.
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Sorry been out of pocket but wanted to respond here. Today no starter goes deep anymore - that’s my point. Go look last year at your innings leaders if you want to prove my point. You think hitting the average SP the third time you face him is harder than hitting some guy out of the pen throwing 98 like today? Of course not. When Bagwell played the former was the norm. Today the latter is the norm.

Regarding you questioning whether the data overwhelmingly favoring pitchers - it 100% without question does.

Think about it - if you have slow bat speed and can’t catch up to 95+ MPH 4 seamers up in the zone, what do you think you’re going to see any time a pitcher has the ability to throw 95+?
    Or if you can’t hit a plus slider (go back and see how we have pitched Judge in the playoffs)…what do you think you’re going to see? You can’t just wave the magic wand and end up with an ability to hit 95+ or drive plus sliders into the opposite field gap…

Meanwhile, pitchers have the ability to choose on demand whether or not to break their data trends because after all it is simply their choice what they’re going to throw in what count, etc. Managers have the ability to choose the pitcher out of their pen that has an arsenal that statistically you struggle with.

Additionally, data resulted into to use of shifts league wide which has literally ended the careers of pull happy lefties whereas guys like Ryan Howard were able to survive during Bagwell’s era (until the shift began).

At the end of the day it’s a lot harder to be successful hitting (which is why getting a hit 3 out of 10 times is considered great), and if you want proof that having data as a hitter is way less valuable, once again go back to LMJ throwing 24 straight curve balls to the Yankees to close out the ALCS in 2017 - that’s all the proof you need.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I was looking at Fangraphs earlier and saw his expected BA was .359 and expected slugging was .759. That’s Barry Bonds in his prime type s***.

If y’all want to see mind blowing stuff just go look at his stat cast profile - no one that hits the ball that hard that often should not be able to do so while also not striking out. It’s absolutely absurd. And once again he’s only 24 and in his first full year in the MLB that isn’t coming off major knee surgeries!

Edit: Here’s some more mind blowing stuff for you. He’s 24th in the AL in K rate for qualified hitters. Aside from my man crush Jose Ramirez and his absolutely ridiculous MLB leading 7.0% K rate to go along with his 16 bombs and .641 slugging % (seriously I’d trade anyone and everyone not named Alvarez for him lol), Yordan is the only other one in the top 25 that has a slugging % north of .500.

Outside of Ty France and his 9 homers, the next highest HR total for anyone on this list is SIX and no one is slugging over .460. It’s a bunch of slap hitters like Elvis Andrus and JP Crawford….and then the two unicorns Jose Ramirez and Yordan Alvarez.

#172 Htown Stros, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  13. Landry's Tooth

Can you explain Bagwell's performance and how it fits your view?

OPS by inning for career:
    1 .907
    2 .990
    3 1.047
    4 .953
    5 .952
    6 .975
    7 .881
    8 .932
    9 .904

Looks like his best at bats are first time seeing starters.

A little less 7th on, but you’re saying the starters are still in during the 7th, right?

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm as big of an Alvarez fanboy as there is but the only negative about him is that he's not nearly as good with players in scoring position as he is where the bases are empty. His numbers get progressively worse as more people are on base and there are more outs. He's almost like Springer in this regard.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

For his career, Yordan is a .303./.393/.605 hitter with runners in scoring position.

He is pretty awful when two runners are in scoring position (.161/.256/.194 in 43 plate appearances in this situation) and 1B is empty, however.

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think that is mostly the result of too much adrenaline. You can not discount the additional pressure those situations put on the pitchers he is hitting against. They are just as over stimulated and the pitches he sees are often the unexpected result of that.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His RISP numbers and bases empty numbers are basically identical for his career.

His bases loaded number are better than both, although you get into negligible sample size when you start breaking it down by particular bases occupied.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was just looking at this season. His numbers with RISP are much lower. I hope that trends back to his career averages.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

And even then it's .283/.408/.433, which aside from the significantly lower slugging, isn't that precipitous of a drop.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Screaming Fist

He's a line drive hitter with so much power he can easily launch 30+ homers in a season. He doesn't have to sacrifice BABIP for power by trying to hit as many fly balls as possible like with Bregman. The only times he gets into trouble is when he's hitting too many ground balls. If I were facing him in a late game situation I would want someone with a heavy sinker on the mound.