1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it definitely feels like no one is taking the euro prospects seriously in this draft so maybe the american papers are really overrating some of the ncaa prospects over players like Jovic.

Shark44, xtruroyaltyx and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When I watch Jovic play, I see superstar offensively. The handles, the step back, the finishing at 6’11.
    Him I actually see comparisons to Luka (not nearly as good)
    Really don’t know why he doesn’t have more hype. But then I see his numbers, they don’t match up with the highlights.

Edit* Luka offensive game, the passing isn’t there like Luka. But he does have some nice vision

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Really, with Jovic I see the same strengths and same weaknesses as Paolo.
    Jovic can shoot quite a bit better and is faster, Paolo has a more developed handle and more physical, better rebounder.
    I can see Jovic having an easier transition to the NBA

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ironically, Jovic isn't in the mix, but I agree he's a prospect that isn't getting enough attention.

D-rock, Bo6 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

"depending on the draft" is the key here. we're talking about this draft. which is weaker than usual because once you get into the middle of the first round it flattens out. hence my point. maybe someone from the lotto falls to us at 17, but if not we're rolling the dice on guys who are basically on the same level as late first or early second rounders.

if I could move up to #2 to grab Jabari or Chet I'd do it. even if you could guarantee #17 was clearly a better player than I could get at #34 (which you can't) I'd still add them to trade up. we're talking about potential rotation guys in this range, maybe a low end starter, easily replaceable, compared to the upgrade I believe we'd get by going from an offensive player in paolo to a 2-way player in jabari or chet.

in the end the NBA is about star power and I'd give all the role players in the world to upgrade my star.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this guy is going to be good. I don’t want another guard but he’s got real size and is a better pure point guard prospect than TyTy. He’s also versatile enough to play 3 positions. I’m not sure he’s worth moving up for, but at #17 he would be a great pick

subtomic, nejyh, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Ochai and TyTy are popular picks at 17, do you think they will go with one of them?

13. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I certainly hope not. Rockets need size and defense at the wing and under the rim first and foremost. Even if they go for a PG/SG, there should be better shooters (Jalen Williams) and point guards (Kennedy Chandler) available at pick 17. Neither Ochai nor TyTy worked out for the Rockets. Chandler has, and Malaki Branham too (currently mocked to go anywhere between 12 and 16).

Spooner and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I see Chandler being a Darius Garland type pg. Rockets need to buy a 2nd round pick, this draft is full of point guards.

Croatian Sensation likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2956722-pro-comparisons-for-top-projected-2022-nba-draft-picks

NBA front offices often discuss prospect-player comparisons to help them paint a picture of how a player will fit and what his trajectory may look like.

In some cases, a comparison to multiple pros can be used to describe the more unique prospects.

The following players (in alphabetical order) are good bets to go in the 2022 lottery, so we pinpointed the pro stars and role players they each mirror.

Paolo Banchero (Duke, PF, Freshman)
    NBA comparisons: Carmelo Anthony/Blake Griffin

Paolo Banchero seems to take a little from both Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin, while also possessing some of their weaknesses.

Athletically, Banchero is closer to Anthony. They're skilled scorers, not explosive ones, and both love operating in the mid-range and shooting off the dribble. They have smooth rhythm rising and firing into their jumpers. And they're both strong around the paint, where they can score out of the post or through contact at the rim.

Banchero offers more playmaking and passing, however, like Griffin, who was once used as a frontcourt facilitator. The ability to handle in pick-and-rolls and set up teammates should be a value booster and differentiator when comparing Banchero to other No. 1 overall candidates Jabari Smith and Chet Holmgren.

Banchero did struggle at times defensively, mostly with effort and focus, but like Anthony and Griffin, he'll make All-Star teams with his scoring production and ability to lead a team as a No. 1 option.

Malaki Branham (Ohio State, SG, Freshman)
    NBA comparison: Khris Middleton

Dyson Daniels (G League Ignite, PG/SG, 2003)
    NBA comparison: Lonzo Ball/Marcus Smart

Johnny Davis (Wisconsin, SG, Sophomore)
    NBA comparison: Josh Hart

Jalen Duren (Memphis, C, Freshman)
    NBA comparison: Derrick Favors

AJ Griffin (Duke, SF/PF, Freshman)
    NBA comparison: Saddiq Bey/Patrick Williams

Chet Holmgren
    NBA comparison: Evan Mobley/Kristaps Porzingis

Scouts are trying to determine what translates for Chet Holmgren, who possesses a unique, valuable skill set but also an unusually skinny frame.

Offensively, he showed enough comfortable shooting to potentially match Kristaps Porzingis' career average of 1.8 threes made per game. Like Porzingis and Evan Mobley, Holmgren will also add value as a finishing target.

The comparison to Porzingis stops there, however. Holmgren's ability to handle in the open floor and pass mirrors Mobley's. And like Mobley, he's a special defender in terms of possessing the versatility to protect the rim and slide his feet away from the basket.

Holmgren isn't as threatening as Mobley attacking closeouts or creating his own shot in the half court. But his defense should translate the way Mobley's did, while his catch-and-shoot game and finishing will resemble Porzingis'.

Jaden Ivey (Purdue, PG/SG, Sophomore)
    NBA comparison: Victor Oladipo/De'Aaron Fox

While it's fair to compare Jaden Ivey's burst to Ja Morant's, his projected role and skills align more closely with Victor Oladipo's.

If it turns out Purdue masked some of Ivey's playmaking, he's more likely to resemble and peak as De'Aaron Fox, who's similarly fast and explosive but a notch below Morant in the facilitating department.

Like prime Oladipo did, Ivey still scores first with a mix of athletic ability and shot-making. Pre-injuries, Oladipo developed into a guard who averaged between four and five assists, and Ivey can get there based on his elusiveness off the dribble and improved passing.

Ideally, his defensive awareness and effort improve to reach Oladipo's, and he starts to develop more floor general habits to mirror a point guard like Fox or Morant.

Bennedict Mathurin (Arizona, SG, Sophomore)
    NBA comparison: Tim Hardaway Jr.

Keegan Murray (Iowa, PF, Sophomore)
    NBA comparison: T.J. Warren/De'Andre Hunter

Shaedon Sharpe (Kentucky, SG, Freshman)
    NBA comparison: Zach LaVine

Jabari Smith (Auburn, PF, Freshman)
    NBA comparison: Jaren Jackson Jr./Michael Porter Jr.

Special shot-making skills for a 6'10" forward are behind Jabari Smith's rise to No. 1 on NBA boards. Similar in size to Michael Porter Jr. and Jaren Jackson Jr., Smith is also comfortable from behind the arc, where it's difficult for defenders to effectively challenge his jumper.

Not many players their height can average over two threes a game, and Smith, Porter and Jackson each can.

Like Porter and Jackson, Smith can also hit shots off different actions from various spots, and he isn't an advanced off-the-dribble threat.

He's closer to Jackson defensively with the versatility to guard around the perimeter.

Jeremy Sochan (Baylor, PF/C, Freshman)
    NBA comparison: Franz Wagner/Jarred Vanderbilt

Mark Williams (Duke, C, Sophomore)
    NBA comparison: Clint Capela

red5rocket likes this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I prefer Jalen Smith if going guard.

But that #17 pick is looking like guard will be BPA.

If I'm Stone, I trade up.

With either pick.

groovemachine likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Banchero is unselfish and stronger than Carmelo. Comp not valid.

20. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Still on the Miller train, but probably the best move for him after looking outmatched at the combine.

Ignite were also hurting for prospects. NIL, NBL, and OTE seem like they offer way more $$$ and amenities. I guess for Miller, it's less competition for minutes/usage (Scoot Henderson is the only other top prospect left on Ignite) and no pressure to win.

D-rock likes this.