1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Electric rates.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Jeez your electricity is so cheap in Texas. It's like 39 cents kwh up here in Oakland. T_T

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Somebody's gotta pay those refs off for those rings! :D

Seriously, though... DAMN! That's probably 50% higher than the average Cali rate, too, which is already among the highest in the nation.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No wonder nobody can afford to go to A's games.

Uprising, cmoak1982 and ima_drummer2k like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What is your take on these companies that are offering free nights and weekends? There's GOT to be a catch, right?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Last year i locked myself into a 3 year contract with Cirro Energy. My rate is 9.2 a kwh. Sure feeling good about that decision now.

desihooper, cmoak1982, Blake and 2 others like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It would depend on the plan. I didn't work in pricing, but worked with a lot of stuff pricing departments did (albeit in the Japanese market). The rates and plans they put out are based upon large groups of people where they obviously can make some money off them. This doesn't mean everybody on that plan will win or lose.

Free electricity/free weekends/free holidays plans are just another kind of TOU plan that just charge you differently based upon when you use the electricity. From what I recall, they're trying to get you to shift usage to "off peak" hours because it costs less. As for the end user, the plans are just like any other plan in that you have to determine when you use your electricity the most and determine if you'll actually be saving money in the long run. For example, weekends are free, but do they charge you so much more during the other 5 days, you end up paying more because the rates are higher and you're really not home as much during the weekend anyway.

If you have a smart meter maybe your provider offers you something where you can see or download data about when your usage is. I think it's usually 15 minute interval usage or something like that.

ima_drummer2k and Blake like this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Being in the industry, I can tell you those concierge services are worth it. If you're good at taking the time to shop each year, I don't know that they can give you savings. But if you want to put the whole thing on autopilot, they more than pay for themselves.

Agree. Power companies use a usage shape for customers. For big industrial customers, it will be their actual consumption profile, but for residential they assume households all have the same usage patterns and price accordingly. A TOU plan assumes a normal profile and rewards you if yours is actually different. If you think you have a weird pattern, get TOU. But I don't think most people win at that.

Btw, unless you fought getting a smart meter, all Texans have one. Go to smartmetertexas.com and make an account, and you can see your usage in 15 minute increments.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  8. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

Tell me about it. My new rate is 15.4 per 1000 kWh.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Who do you have? That's actually decent in today's climate.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I just had to renew, I have 4change and have been with them for a while.
    Had been paying 9.9c with all charges (what I like about 4change is their price includes all fees) just renewed for 15.9c for 12 months.
    Of course it’s a variable rate depending on usage, but 4change you can cancel your policy for $20 per month remaining. The moment I see prices dropping I will do a longer term renewal and just eat the cost of cancellation.

SuraGotMadHops and RKREBORN like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, my water bill is currently higher than my electric one. That’s after the coop added a temporary bump because of the Blizzard or something, but still relatively cheap. Austin utilities are crazy expensive.

The PEC is a gift. When we moved out to our SW Austin neighborhood from south central Austin 25+ years ago because of the schools, we were out of the city limits and could hear cows moo at night. When the area was annexed, keeping PEC was negotiated into the deal. I just wish water related stuff had been, as well.

Now huge subdivisions are being built along 1826 towards Driftwood and the Salt Lick. FM1826 is quickly getting overwhelmed. The city of Austin tried to limit growth out there and the whole area west of town, and was shot down by the Lege by members from Amarillo or somewhere similar, bought off by developers. VERY frustrating.

Buck Turgidson and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Love PEC. I haven't been a customer since 2008 and I still get a check every year from them. It gets smaller and smaller. I think it's like $6 now.

Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  13. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

You sure? It use to be 11 cents for everything including Tdu charges. I’m with constellation energy now.

14. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

I was
    was looking online and they were one of the cheapest. It goes up by the day man. If you think it’s a good price go for it. It was 14.8 cents and I waited. The next day i sign up and it was 15.4. Go to that website powertochoose I think it has a bunch of companies listed.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Do you know if Texas Power agents does a credit check every time they switch you? I employ a credit freeze so am wondering how would that work. Do they only check during the initial registration or is it fluid.

16. Xerobull

Are all three bureaus frozen? I only have one frozen due to identify theft and have no issues switching.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Yes, all three. Maybe it's overboard, but it gives me peace of mind. Can't imagine what it's like to have your ID stolen and don't want to. :)

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't quite understand how the electric company is doing the checks. My understanding is they do soft credit checks for new customers. But, my three credit bureaus are frozen. I wonder if this is why they wanted a deposit from me for new service when I recently switched. Probably. I think I went through that before in the past where I had to call them up, unfreeze at the bureau they check, they then run their check, and then they gave me my deposit back.

19. Xerobull

Yep. You should call them. They're idiots.

20. Xerobull

It's not as big a deal as you'd think. Get new CCs issued, freeze credit.