1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood extension a sign of things!!!??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madbomber, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So we should pay Wood extra for setting the first real pick of his NBA career?

Argh!

CCity Zero, Plowman, DaneB and 2 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Guys like westbrick definitely agree. Oh wait

CCity Zero and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

What was offered for Oladipo was a second rounder.. meanwhile stone said teams were offering firsts

Gordon would’ve netted a first but stone didn’t want another 22 first rounder.

We have an idea what was offered because of media reports and insiders like @Nook. Cmon man.

Jontro likes this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm pretty clear about wanting to trade wood. I wanted to trade him last summer while he still had some value. I'm afraid no one will give up much for a 1 year rental at this point. I'd be happy if we can package him with #17 and just move up into the lotto. if I couldn't find anything like that, or a future first, then I might look to extend him IF (and only IF) it would be for a team friendly deal that would improve his trade value. I think if he was locked in at or near his current salary but with a couple more years he would have mid first round pick value.

roslolian and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. BHannes2BHonest

Wow. You really drinking the C Wood kool aid. We might as well have kept Russ because “he’s a triple double machine”… it’s not conducive to winning.

Stones signings have been terrible, not trades. That’s what I said. Stone does have **** to prove in that aspect.

I was anti Ben Simmons with a passion but harden had the choice (per Tilman) that gave stone the Nets deal to accept (luckily). The trades you mentioned were great. The trades Stone did not pull the trigger on leave room for inprovement along with others he did like J.Allen / Oladipo (extension) and trade.

Stone has done excellent with the draft and I hope continues to kill it in all fronts. I agree with some of your points but I think it’s because you misconstrued I am hating on Stone. Just being a realist.

imagine if Oladipo resigned with us as a near max player? Wow. Stone is absolutely terrible so far regarding signings and I hope that changes. If Clutch polled a wood resign yes or no—- yes would be at 90% for a reason.

6. BHannes2BHonest

Exactly what I’ve been saying about Stones non-trades lol. But me, clutch, and deuce don’t have a clue. Ok.

“long overdueeeeee”

#186 BHannes2BHonest, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

The extension talk is so weird. They already sit Wood so Green, KPJ, and Sengun get more touches toward the end of the season. Why give him an extension when need more touches for them and this year 3rd pick?

arabrocket and HTownTmac1 like this.
  8. DaneB

DaneB Member

You realize we’re in a generation where the Pelicans might be forced to pay Zion a fully guaranteed contract despite barely playing at all on his rookie contract?!

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a strange world we inhabit. No doubt about it.

TimDuncanDonaut, DaneB and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i told you guys long ago to not be surprised if Wood gets an extension.

but ya'll need to calm down. as long as its around 20 million per year then it could be an asset and more easily traded. anything over 25 million is a joke however. but yes you may need to mentally prepare yourself for 1-2 more season of christian Wood. the rockets aren't going to go into the season with only Sengun + [top 3 pick here] as the only big men on the roster. and no Garuba does not count as a big.

Wood extension does concern me in that I feel like he could get complacent and not be hungry to prove himself anymore. I could easily see that scenario. But he does fit nicely next to all of the potential Top 3 picks IMO provided he actually give 2 ***** about defense.

11. DaneB

DaneB Member

There is definitely a threshold that we should sign Wood to, as much as a threshold that we should accept in a trade for him. He’s worth way more than a second round pick (you can buy one), so we shouldn’t trade him for nothing. If we see value in him and can get him on the cheap, we need to do it.

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Extending Wood and keeping him on the roster is exactly the directive I'd expect from Tilman.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not drinking the C. Wood kool aid I'm just telling it like it is.

Wood: 26 yrs old, 17 ppg, 10 rebs, 39% 3 pt and 59.5% TS

Can you find multiple players posting similar or better stats making 15M a year excluding guys on their rookie deal? If you can't even do that then obviously you don't realize how good Wood really is. Lots of posters here make the mistake of either the dude is a scrub or the dude is a star. There are gradients for players and their contract boosts or subtracts from their value as a player. You don't expect a janitor to put in work equivalent to a CEO and if you are paying someone CEO money he better do more than clean the stalls on the daily.

Russ' problem is his efficiency and he can't shoot 3s on top of his horrendous contract and bad attitude. The difference between him and C-Wood is night and day.

#193 roslolian, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    DaneB and maj21 like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

smokescreen. tillmen trading wood + #3 + filler for that #1 so we can guarantee this team gets ivey

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  15. mightybosstone

Wood is not as poor a defender as Kanter; that's fair. It's hard to find an apples to apples comparison, because generally there aren't a lot of big men comparable to Wood historically with the same weaknesses.

Discussing defense alone doesn't do his weaknesses justice. He also doesn't play within the flow of the offense well, is awful at setting screens, is one of the worst bigs in the pick and roll I've seen in a hot minute, and is a notorious ball stopper.

I'm a fan of advanced stats as a barometer for a player's worth, but I can also tell when someone plays a winning brand of basketball and when they play selfishly at the expense of the team. Wood's game definitely feels more like the latter than the former the more I watch him play. And to keep him, you may need to pay him $20 million a year or more; it could be a lot more.

I personally think spending that much of the cap room on a big who can't defend the paint or set screens would be a horrible mistake, but I would gladly be proven wrong. If he can improve in some of those other areas, his offensive talent is still worth having. But we have enough of a sample size now that it seems extremely unlikely.

16. Landry's Tooth

Fair point on the picks and passing argument. I still think there's a number where Wood is good value. I think the years are more a concern than the money.

We have max free agent money a year from now but the best free agent might be Wiggins. Not a great year... I'm ok deferring the cap space to just before Green gets an extension...

mightybosstone and roslolian like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

What offensive flow are you talking about? The Rox are tanking they barely ran any plays and didn't even have a pg to start the season. Coach killed all the spacing with Theis and Wood and Green and KPJ were all firing blanks but you blaming CWood for the offensive flow? Cmon man.

Pick and roll? Wood is the team's best scorer at 60% TS you want him to be reduced to a lob threat? LOL. First who is even doing the PnR play on this team? We didn't even have a real pg but you wanted Wood to be a lob threat ala Capela.

Wood is an offensive powerhouse. Maybe if the Rox were serious contenders you'd see him make decent screens and if the Rox had a legit superstar first option you'd see him defer and be the roll man. But our next 2 best scorers are Green who shot poorly the 1st of the half season and Sengun who was his sub. So why would Wood need to be unselfish if we weren't tanking the offense should have revolved around him instead.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. Milos

Milos Member

I always compare his value to that of Vucevic
    Not that they are similar players, but that their market values are very similar

Both put up borderline All-Star production on OFF and grab boards, but neither anchor the paint or defend generally with much value

CHI just finished the year w Vuc as their 4th best player after DeRozan, Lavine & Lonzo
    They were nowhere near contending in the East

I see Wood contributing to winning on about the same level as Vuc, here or elsewhere

If he's part of your top-3 'core' you're screwed, hoping for ping-pong luck (current Rox w Wood)

If he's in your top 4-6 as a starter or 6th-man, you can lose in the 2nd round year after year (current Bulls w Vuc)

If he's your backup big in 3-man rotation with other good defenders in the frontcourt around him, you can contend

How much is that worth on an extension..?
    About what I'd rather offer Mo Bamba this summer to replace Wood as the primary compliment to Sengun and Paulo

TimDuncanDonaut and theDude like this.
  19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I don't mind Wood stay, but he needs to understand his role. I prefer trading him for future 1st. Not for pick this year, we have too many players to develop. We need player to play C/PF. There's enough C/PF min for Wood, Sengun, Garuda, and 3rd pick. As Sengun/Garuda/3rd pick getting better, Wood need to understand his min will reduced. I'm against extension, remember Gordon? We can't trade him if he get an extension this season.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

you don’t put more money into an investment that’s not working. We need to move on to greener pastures.