1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assassination attempt on Supreme Court Justice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s ****ed up.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Of course, assassination is never the answer unless your name is Putin.

DD

4. Nook

Nook Member

No single person or entity is responsible.

I will say that having a President that tells the public that the election was stolen, that the FBI and State Department are compromised and that the Federal Courts are corrupt DOES cause the public to lose respect for authority figures and institutions.

So no I am not surprised that we have people trying to kidnap and murder a governor in Michigan, federal judges murdered and now a Supreme Court Justice being a target of an assassination attempt.

What the hell did you or others think would happen?

That door is WIDE open. We have congress refusing to allow a SCOTUS nominee join the court for purely political reasons, you have a President encourage an attempted overthrow of the Federal Government, you have the basic sanctity of federal elections questioned, you have a SCOTUS opinion taking back rights after 40 years and a SCOTUS Justice citing and relying on commonly debunked conspiracy theories in his draft opinion.

The last area holding everything together was the federal courts and now they are politically exposed over the last 6-7 years.

This "**** storm" is only starting. Thank you Donald Trump and to a lesser degree GW Bush and Bar Obama. Thank you Graham and Cruz and Schummer and all the other assholes.

I don't even especially feel bad for Kavanaugh - when you play in ****, you get covered in ****.

ROCKSS and mtbrays like this.
  5. DaDakota

This is what happens when one party is known for stealing and ripping off the country, and for not doing what is right by the population, but always doing what is right for their own pocket books....(Gun Control) - right now they only approve it will get worse.

When the majority is oppressed, heads always roll, throughout history - it will be no different here.......

DD

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

lol. talk about "downplay it". wow.

mtbrays likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I trust Schumer to fix things :D

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. DaDakota

They should impeach Kavanaugh, and Thomas - neither belong there.

And BTW - the guy called 911 on himself? That is amazing....

DD

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I personally don't like the fact that people can protest against anyone on 'public property' like a sidewalk in front of 'private property' like a house. It can lead to too many preventable problems.

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I notice that Biden has been quoted saying he has doubts about midterms being legit. Hopefully he learns a lesson from Trump's miscue and accepts the results.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Look at it closer........

40% of young republican women believe assassination is justified.... compared to 32% of young democrat women

Across the board the total aggregate numbers are virtually identical across party.

The real message is that too many Americans, especially younger Americans that have been raised in this political cess pool believe assassination is justified.

Nearly 1/3 younger democrats and younger republicans believe assassination is viable and justified.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Interesting. It totally works both ways.

ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Are you talking about this??

First, here's what Biden said in response to that first question about whether the 2022 results will be legitimate:

"Well, it all depends on whether or not we're able to make the case to the American people that some of this is being set up to try to alter the outcome of the election. ... I think if, in fact -- no matter how hard they make it for minorities to vote, I think you're going to see them willing to stand in line and -- and defy the attempt to keep them from being able to vote. I think you're going to see the people who they're trying to keep from being able to show up, showing up and making the sacrifice that needs to make in order to change the law back to what it should be."

Because of the questions that first answer raised, another reporter follows up with Biden. Here's that exchange:

Reporter: "A moment ago, you were asked whether or not you believed that we would have free and fair elections in 2022 if some of these state legislatures reformed their voting protocols. You said that it depends. Do you -- do you think that they would in any way be illegitimate?"
    Biden: "Oh, yeah, I think it easily could be -- be illegitimate. Imagine -- imagine if, in fact, Trump has succeeded in convincing Pence to not count the votes."
    Reporter: "In regard to 2022, sir -- the midterm elections."
    Biden: "Oh, 2022. I mean, imagine if those attempts to say that the count was not legit. You have to recount it and we're not going to count -- we're going to discard the following votes. I mean, sure, but -- I'm not going to say it's going to be legit. It's -- the increase and the prospect of being illegitimate is in direct proportion to us not being able to get these -- these reforms passed."

When asked about it later, the Press Secretary said:

"Lets be clear: @potus was not casting doubt on the legitimacy of the 2022 election. He was making the opposite point: In 2020, a record number of voters turned out in the face of a pandemic, and election officials made sure they could vote and have those votes counted," she wrote on Twitter.

"He was explaining that the results would be illegitimate if states do what the former president asked them to do after the 2020 election: toss out ballots and overturn results after the fact. The Big Lie is putting our democracy at risk. We're fighting to protect it," Psaki went on.

It was the second clarifying statement from Psaki about something Biden said during his nearly two-hour press conference. She issued a statement Wednesday evening after Biden said a "minor incursion" by Russia into Ukraine would trigger a discussion among NATO allies at how to respond.

ROCKSS and Astrodome like this.
  14. DaDakota

Public protest is all that people have when faced with tyranny.

DD

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden's been listening to you my friend, he doesn't want to end democracy by restricting free speech.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, the press secretary did a good job clarifying his statement. He also mentioned voter suppression casting doubt on another occasion.

Nook likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

miscue? Trump was incredible successful in undermining people's faith in the election process meanwhile Republicans are successful in installing partisan loyalist to election roles that should be nonpartisan.

Our elections are not going to be legitimate in many states and regions - they have already been corrupted by the Trumpsters.

18. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't fixing anything. He isn't really competent at anything other than profiting off of discourse.... he and Waters can join Paul and Graham and McConnell and Cotton and Cruz and Pelosi.

ROCKSS likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

It was pretty clear he was talking about the 2020 election no? If anything, my criticism of what he said would be that he came across as either not understanding the question or being a blundering idiot?

Astrodome likes this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump's lil' oopsie

Andre0087 likes this.