1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assassination attempt on Supreme Court Justice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jun 8, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should not be a justice he groped women. Truth is truth.

don’t care if you don’t like it.

DD

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure we all agree that it is fortunate that he was not assassinated.

basso and dachuda86 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Downplay it. But this is BIGGER than Jan 6 protesters being allowed into Congress and then demonized. This is an assassination attempt on a supreme court justice.

Oh right. The assassin isn't on the right political side and doesn't fit the EVIL CONSERVATIVE MAGA PEOPLE SCARY narrative.

blue_eyed_devil and basso like this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You'd be shocked at how impossible that is for some of the leftoids here. There are some who would be happy if he got killed because it is for "the greater good".

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I agree just like trump right winger butt sniffers.

6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Man some of them are almost as bad as the pro life people who bombed abortion clinics, shot and killed drs and staff the last 40 years.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

“Here”? You mean in Turkey?

Nook, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

blue_eyed_devil and basso like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Weird result:

upload_2022-6-9_7-10-46.png

Young Democratic men are more likely to approve assassination of someone who is “harming the country or our democracy” than threatening them. Same for young Republican women.

pgabriel, Sweet Lou 4 2 and Andre0087 like this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

This guy literally called 911 and confessed to something he was thinking of doing, thanks goodness he did that and I would say he probably wanted to be caught. The dude has mental issues and hopefully he gets help, if he had gone through with it this would a WTF moment. I am all for peaceful protests and if they want to sit outside of his house everyday so be it, you signed up for this when you accepted the job and if you don't like it then quit. Cavanaugh is a scumbag but he is on the SCOTUS and while I don't agree with it I don't wish him any harm.

DaDakota, Astrodome and Andre0087 like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad they apprehended the guy. I hope that he gets the mental health services that he obviously needs. It's a good thing no lives were lost.

Schumer did nothing in the same neighborhood as Trump. What Schumer did was not so good. What Trump did was pre-planned criminal behavior.

#71 FranchiseBlade, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    ROCKSS likes this.
  12. goophers

goophers Member

How is it bigger when people actually died on Jan 6? There have been assassination attempts / terror efforts many times against congress and white house. Taking over the seat of Congress as part of a coup attempt is much bigger.

As others have said, I’m glad this guy was unsuccessful and he should be prosecuted.

JayGoogle and Andre0087 like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, as a judge you don't sign up for people sitting outside your private house. Those are intimidation tactics. Protesting in front of the court building - anytime. Calling for people to intimidate judges in their private homes? Absolute no-go.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Forgive my ignorance here on this story but how do we know this is an assassination attempt and not just a “good guy with a gun” expressing free speech??

Do the first and second amendments only apply as one or the other?

I think you guys see where I’m going here. The hypocrisy with those who scream about “free speech” want laws that protect their clerics from ever coming in contact with someone who will disapprove of their gospel. Those who scream about the made up constitutional right to have any gun they want anywhere they want whenever they want, want laws that only gives people who think and look like they do that made up constitutional privilege.

Don’t get me wrong… my opinion is this guy shouldn’t have been able to get close to a SCOTUS judge with a firearm. But you guys wanting a wild Wild West constitutional right to always be carrying anything you want wherever you want are just simply getting what you are asking for when this stuff happens more and more.

DaDakota, JayGoogle and Andre0087 like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill that would increase security for families of Supreme Court justices is stalled in House

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/08/politics/supreme-court-security-justices-house-legislation/index.html

excerpt:

(CNN) A bipartisan Senate-passed bill that would expand security protection to the immediate family members of Supreme Court justices has stalled in the House, raising questions from senators on why it hasn't passed in the wake of an arrest outside the home of a Supreme Court justice.

The questions come hours after an armed man was arrested near Brett Kavanaugh's Maryland home after making threats against the Supreme Court justice, according to a court spokesperson.

The man was arrested at about 1:50 a.m. ET Wednesday, the spokesperson said. He was transported to Montgomery County Police 2nd District, who said the man arrested is from California.

When asked about the legislation, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said he had a conversation with Democratic Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware about the legislation on Tuesday, adding: "I hope we're close."
    more at the link

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly this was a mental health issue and shows that we need more guns. Simply gives the justices ak-15's and the problem is solved. The issue is that we need more secure homes and court houses, and more mental health. That's it.

ROCKSS, JayGoogle and Andre0087 like this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

[Tongue in cheek]Shouldn't we enforce the laws we have before enacting new ones? (Did I do that right?)[/tongue in cheek]

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

in fact the law that prohibits protests in front of judges' homes is on the books and NOT being enforced by the Biden Justice Department

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The problem with that law is it is vague and open to interpretation as to the actual intent of the protest.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

can I play my "So you're saying" card here?? :p

so you're saying it's okay to not enforce vague and ambiguous laws?

just kidding, obviously. But that's the general response folks here tend to make in this situation.