1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I would think 10% Offense; 40% Defense and 50% Pitcher comfort and intangibles. But let's not quibble.

2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros are 21st in the majors in runs per game. Now, I didn't go through every season, but on a quick glance it's safe to say teams down in the 20s don't win a world series.

If we assume that catcher is not able to be upgraded for intangibles, then we really need to upgrade first base. I think if Meyers comes back healthy, you have a sizable upgrade there in center. The only other place to really analyze is first base then.
    It seems like it would have to be Trey Mancini.
    Not sure what you do with Yuli at that point.

I do not think standing pat is an option if they are looking to win the world series. Not enough offense.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You make a fair point and I would bet that James Click is thinking the same exact way.

Right up till you said Mancini is the only option.

Sure, he may be the best option but there are a few. Garrett Cooper is another.

The White Sox are 1 game under .500 and have no rotation depth after their top 3. Vince Velazquez has been in their rotation if you can believe that.

No way they trade him for pitching to improve their playoff chances but

If they have a bad June and July and fall out of contention, Jose Abreu will be a free agent and would be a fantastic rental to put between Alvarez and Tucker in the lineup.

Phillyrocket and Htown Legend like this.
  4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

100% agree with this. Vosler has more AAA at bats than in the majors this year and has a .195 / .271 / .312 slash line this year in AAA. Which is about what his major league numbers looked like last season. We're better off giving ABs to Matijevic than this guy, and he doesn't cost us anything.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thanks.

To be clear I was talking about a package that included Vosler. Not 1 for 1 or even necessarily with him as the best player or prospect. Just that included him.

And I did not look at his scouting report, prospect grades thanks.

I was just looking a MLB rosters that are trying to contend but need starting pitching.

But I defer to your knowledge if he is not a good prospect.

Garcia is raising himself above Javier and Urquidy into the #3 guy now. #4 once Lance returns.

Odorizzi found something before his injury and if he picks up where he left off then he will also be in the rotation.

Then there is Hunter Brown

I like Javier and Urquidy both just fine but both are very inconsistent.

You must give up something to get something and at the MLB level, starting pitching is where the depth is.

#525 IdStrosfan, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

You dont replace Maldy you remove Castro. Melendez can play a bunch of positions he isn't just held to one spot. He can Play 1st Base OF and C. he is athletic so its not like you are just holding him to one spot

raining threes and Hank McDowell like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do wonder how Lee’s failure to launch in AAA so far this season will affect their deadline strategy. If Lee is looking more like a fringe regular or backup option long term, it might make it more likely Houston swings bigger in trying upgrade that position beyond just this season, trying to get Stephenson, Heim, Varsho, or Murphy. Those players would have varying costs but none would come cheap.

The Diamondbacks have the worst projected rotation in baseball so even though Varsho is a very valuable piece for them it might make sense for them to trade him for multiple big league ready guys who project to be good SP. Plus, Strom probably would love to get some of his old arms, although he has pretty much done wonders with what he inherited, so maybe the projections are too low.

#527 Snake Diggit, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    raining threes and Fulgore like this.
  8. right1

right1 Member

I see Yanier Diaz is continuing to hit for average and get on base. How is his defense looking?

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How is Lee's defense?

I read some reports in the off season an early season that praised it.

I'm sure the team would prefer him to hit but if they are happy with his defense they could be willing to stay with the plan.

Clearly they have shown that they don't need a catcher to hit to be the starter.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reviews are mixed. I have not seen him catch in person.

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If the Astros are OK with Maldonado's bat I do not see why Hunter's would be a problem.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Questions to ponder when considering a trade for a new backup catcher.

Do you think Castro or a new backup will impact the Astros winning the division? No
    Do you think Castro or a new backup will impact the Astros getting a top 2 seed to get the wildcard round bye? No
    Who will get 100% of the starts at catcher in the playoffs? Maldonado

13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Man,
    I would love me some Tyler France in a Stros uniform

raining threes likes this.
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t think they can afford to stand pat either. I also don’t think 1B and catcher will stay this bad, but at some point you have to start worrying about what happens if they do. If Castro Or Yuli could do anything at all to get out of their slumps I’d feel much better, but it’s starting to get very worrisome that they might not. Add a very average Bregman to the mix and you’ve got to think about adding a quality bat somewhere if you want to seriously compete.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Problem areas on this team are 3b, 1b, cf... zero power from the corners and little production from CF.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Interesting.... Astros among teams that have talked to the Giants about Joey Bart.

Personally I am not a big fan of Bart. He has hit in the minors but has looked terrible in multiple chances with the Giants.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I doubt Varsho has the defensive profile our FO would want in an everyday catcher

I really think if we are being realistic about who we might and might not acquire as a catcher, we have to consider their defensive profile first and foremost. I love Varshos versatility and he would be a nice addition. But offensively he has great value if he is slotted as your everyday catcher, as an OF his offensive value drops off significantly

Again, would love the upgrade to our lineup, I just doubt he is the profile of who Click would go after

raining threes likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

If the Red Sox decide to sell, the Astros need to strongly look at JD Martinez.

I don't know if him playing 1st is even feasible but his bat is a MASSIVE upgrade for the post season.

Have Martinez and Alvarez play some at a corner outfield spot and let the other one play the DH spot.

Martinez/Alvarez/Brantley can switch off at the different spots with the other pinch hitting and resting for the post season.

They could even possibly have Tucker in center from time to time.

It really isn't a good fit situationally but options are ,limited and the bat is gold.

Trey Mancini is not as good a bat as Martinez but he can play 1st and puts the ball in play.

@Snake Diggit mentioned Eugenio Suarez. He isn't a perfect hit with his strike outs and money, but he can play all over the diamond and had major power.

Jose Abreu will be a free agent and he is a fit at 1st if the White Sox decide to sell.

The Beard, Fulgore and everyday eddie like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Like, recently? That seems odd as a guy struggling that badly doesn’t seem like a fit on a team trying to win the WS. But like you’ve said many times Houston values the “other stuff” a LOT more with catchers than most teams so maybe they’re enamored with Bart’s defense. I’d be fine with him replacing Castro but wouldn’t want Houston to give up anything of major value.

Nook likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Another Jose and another Abreu. Names that just cry out ASTROS.

Nook likes this.