1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't believe I agree with you for the second time this year.

Here are my ideas.

• Get rid of the gun show/private sale loophole. Every sale has to be done through an FFL except for bolt actions and hunting capacity shotguns, but you regulate how much an FFL can charge for the service like 10 bucks. Mandate that all FFL's have to provide private sale service during business hours.
    • Get rid of all gun advertising and influencer monetization for guns. So no gun sponsorships, no youtube ad revenue, no website ads including gunbroker, no magazine ads.
    • National CHL license. Everybody has to get one, but you it can be used in every state. (give something back to the gun nuts)
    • Restrict magazine capacity to 10 or less. I would be okay with 5. Heck you can't hunt with more than 3. Have a stamp type exception that covers magazines over 10. Get a federal stamp that can include up to 10 magazines.
    • Mandated liability if guns that you own are not properly stored and then used in crime or child shooting accident.
    • Mandate psychologist and doctors register patients that are diagnosed with extreme psychological issues.

DaDakota likes this.
  2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

All that is well and good and even sounds reasonable so I appreciate the dialogue, rather than sound bites. Unfortunately, we are stuck with lobbyists who blame mental health and "soft doors" as the culprit.

To be clear, to re-instate the law that was already on the books sounds reasonable, albeit won't fix everything. But how about anything at all?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's only for waterfowl

4. rockbox

Pretty much any bird except of for Snow geese during conservation season.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Mental health is THE issue when it comes to mass shootings. Guns are the problem when it comes to gun violence. Mass shooting has also been redefined as ... is there even a definition? Mass shooting used to be understood as indiscriminate killing intended to inflict as many casualties as possible. Now gang shootouts are considered mass shooting.

Additionally gun control only becomes a hot topic when someone shoots up a school. It does little service when people ignore the day to day gun violence data.

As I explained, banning assault weapons does very little, if not make the situation worse. When you start talking about banning weapons, gun freaks dig their heels in and pull out the 2nd amendment card. Gun sales go through the roof, putting more guns on the street.

What you should understand is the original assault weapons ban only banned scary looking semi automatic long guns. You could still buy a semi-automatic rifle shooting the same exact round as an AR-15 with the same magazine capacity. The only difference was the guns were not scary looking. You couldn't put suppressors, or rails or collapsible butt stocks or forward grips.

Stop making guns so easily accessible is the most prudent action at this point.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Not if they don’t have access to guns.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bring back the punt gun for snow geese

8. krosfyah

Does America have a bigger mental health issue than every other country on Earth?

Again, since we lifted the assault rifle ban, mass shooting keep increasing. So as one thing that may help, seems easy enough to simply reinstate it. I like many of your other suggestions too, however, it would be helpful if you didn't speak about the ineffectualness of an assault rifle ban as a "fact" because we have actual evidence that it works. Furthermore, we also have evidence that when you lift it, things get worse. To suggest that if we re-impose it, that will continue to make things worse is, at best, supposition on your part with no factual basis. I concede you might be right, but that is straight up speculation not based in actual real-life evidence.

It is true when folks start talking about banning guns, gun sales go up but that obviously would be temporary. It's like when we banned leaded gasoline, car sales went up to buy up remaining inventory. However, leaded gasoline eventually went to exactly zero. Don't lose sight of the long term benefits even if there is a wrinkle.

Besides, any of your propositions will also result in increased gun sales. The mere threat of new bans during Obama results in increased gun sales. That is inevitable and just white noise.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. rockbox

"Assault rifles" did not enable any of the mass shootings outside of Las Vegas. 90 percent of mass shootings are performed with handguns. Only the ones that show up on the news were performed with AR's. The mass shootings that happened last weekend after Uvalde were with handguns. It's just that when they are performed with AR's the news jumps on it and there is debate about it.

All that being said, we do you have a gun culture issue and unfortunately AR's have been the symbol of the modern gun culture. Too many guys with small penises trying to compensate with with more magazine capacity. I have nothing against AR rifles. I have one that a friend gave to me ( No ID, no paperwork), but I do have issues with about 70 percent of people who buy AR's. I can't even go to the range anymore because there are so many morons that shouldn't even be allowed to vote, with AR rifles with red dots that can't hit paper with at 50 yards.

10. krosfyah

Saying ARs are not "assault rifles" is semantics and doesn't really help push the conversation forward.

I don't have any statistics but your "90%" figure seems made up or, at best, misleading. For example, in Uvalde and in Buffalo, the murderer was carrying both an AR-15 style gun and a hand-gun. So at best, your 90% figure doesn't paint the whole picture because I doubt that 90% of the causalities come from a 9mm (or whatever).

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a good reason to ban handguns to me. I would guess that most domestic violence homicides are handguns too. I would also guess most of the children dying from gun accidents were with handguns as well. Add in road rage and armed robberies while you're at it.

rockbox and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for him.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Damn I wish he would have ran for Governor....

T_Man

krosfyah and superfob like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Idk what the solution is, but I work for a tech company that works closely with law enforcement providing tech solutions to deter crime and it’s upsetting to listen to the conversations I’ve had with hospitals this week. Employees are terrified… when they’re providing a public service.

I can’t even imagine what my counter part that works with education institutes is hearing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gotta keep it up.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are they gonna blame the doors for this one too?

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At this point, local news should treat it like car chases and show everything....hamburger and all.

Let's share the misery till the gun nutters realize how ****ing insane and cowardly they are.

20. Buck Turgidson

In Texas, owls, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions all eat porcupines with regularity.

In other places in North America you can add wolves, ocelots, wolverines, and the fisher cat (not a proper cat, just like the ringtail)

Domestic dogs try to, but it usually doesn't work out so well.

#1900 Buck Turgidson, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022