1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Top Gun - Maverick

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 18, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I did not put that together and now it makes a lot more sense.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Box office numbers seem stellar.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I saw it Sat am and it was awesome, yea there are some corny scenes but overall it was a great time.......having Val Kilmer in it was the cherry on top. One thing I hated was it cost $26 bucks for a hot dog, small popcorn and med coke but oh well, it was fun and I dont go often to the theater so its part of the experience

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wonderful sequel probably a bit better than original - loved it.

Story was good, acting was great, and dogfights were outstanding.

Is it a glorification of war, a bit yeah, but well put together.....

DD

#64 DaDakota, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Squirtle and GRENDEL like this.
  5. VanityHalfBlack

I'm getting a mixed bag here from CF. Guess I'll wait till it hits paramount plus.

Jontro, clos4life and Squirtle like this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

TOP GUN: MAVERICK
    PG-13
    2022, Adventure/Action, 2h 11m

97%
    TOMATOMETER365 Reviews
    99%
    AUDIENCE SCORE

CCity Zero, GRENDEL and DaDakota like this.
  7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I was in in Austin for a few days earlier this week and caught this at the Bullock museum which is the biggest screen and best IMAX in the state. Couldn’t recommend it more to anyone who has a chance to see it there.

tinman likes this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Only here for Kelly McGillis

tinman likes this.
  9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don’t know who that is but wow let me repeat wow.

I read an article that she was not asked to be in Top Gun 2 and did not know why. No **** a quick Google image search tells you why.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kelly McGillis, 62, says she is 'too old and fat' for Top Gun sequel with Tom Cruise: 'I look age-appropriate for what my age is, and that is not what that whole scene is about'
    By Heidi Parker For Dailymail.com14:44 30 Jul 2019, updated 16:27 30 Jul 2019

[​IMG]
    • 3kshares
    ET the 62-year-old actress - who diagnosed with alpha one antitrypsin disorder about five years ago - was unusually candid about why she was not asked to co-star with Tom Cruise in the Top Gun sequel titled Maverick.

'I'm old and I'm fat and I look age-appropriate for what my age is, and that is not what that whole scene is about,' said the star who played Charlie Blackwood, Maverick's instructor, in the 1986 hit film. 'But ... I'd much rather feel absolutely secure in my skin and who and what I am at my age as opposed to placing a value on all that other stuff.'

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

If you have a chance to watch this just for the plane scenes in the theater than do it. TV at home won't do it justice. I'm going back to watch in IMAX after watching it in Dolby. If you loved the 1st one, there should be no way you could not like the 2nd one.

htownrox1, ROCKSS and Poloshirtbandit like this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Never considered watching a movie twice in theaters but I am for TGM. As mentioned I would watch it in IMAX

CCity Zero, htownrox1 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Impressive

14. elrond

elrond Member

Saw it on Imax, fun ride overall. Follow his advice and don't overthink it, just feel the movie :D

When the mission came up, I was like um..this is basically just Star Wars with F-18s instead of X-wings :D Also, I guess Maverick is basically Bruce Willis from Unbreakable. Unless plane ejection systems allow you to teleport away like on Star Trek, ejecting out of a plane that is about to disintegrate at Mach 10.4, or out of the F18 when it's basically been blown up with basically zero injuries is a bit of a stretch. But hey, whatever, it's all good.

CCity Zero and DreamShook like this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When they revealed that the mission was to fly down a dangerous stretch and then shoot a missile at a target that was just a few meters wide, so that an explosive could go down a ventilation shaft that would ultimately destroy the big, bad weapon...my wife and I both looked at each other in the theater and started laughing. What was even crazier is later on during training one of the pilots actually speaks the line "stay on target - stay on target!" HAD to have been intentional, right?

GRENDEL and DreamShook like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That Star Wars target was the funniest rip off to me.....but still I enjoyed it.

DD

GRENDEL likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought Lawrence from Insecure was going to die. I was like, someone is not going to make it and the black guy in a jet might be the first one to go. Im glad he survived, lol

GRENDEL likes this.
  18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I had hopes going into the movie but man it exceeded all my expectations. This is definitely one you have to watch in theaters.

9/10

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Saw it in 4DX and what an awesome experience. Practically everything about this sequel is superior to the original, and it feels like a natural extension of the story and progression of the characters. It's a film that recognizes its place in time and leans into it in a thoughtful way. It uses cutting edge film techniques to get you closer to the action than ever before. And it does a good job of balancing realism with Hollywood extravagance. The end fight is a bit ridiculous, but by that point I could care less, I was enjoying the ride.

Don't care if the opening title is essentially a 3-5 min Navy promo, I love it. As soon as the familiar Top Gun theme started playing I was pumped!

If anything, it's worth it to see in the theater for the aerial combat alone.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

well executed but a totally paint by numbers plot with zero surprises