1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Angels for-sh*t GM did Maddon a favor. Let's hope the Angles hire another manager to a long term, high value contract and then don't fix the roster.

Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  2. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just laughed out loud at that response by James Click. My God, man. As a lawyer, I know contract shamelessness when I see it.

Blum: Talk to me about how great the young starting pitchers have been this year.

Click: [2 minute response, his longest of the night by far, talking about how it's all credit to the defense and not saying a word about a single starting pitcher.]

Ya think he might be in some contract discussions with some certain starting pitchers?

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Screenshot 2022-06-08 081807.png Screenshot 2022-06-08 081835.png

It's the hope that kills you. Or in Maddon's case, getting relieved (on) of duties.

jim1961 and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is one of the things that I always felt Luhnow was great at. Taking advantage of changing conditions and finding value where others couldn't (or finding value before others did). He was able to work the draft situation to his advantage with the whole overslot/underslot thing. I feel like he was on the leading edge of using spin rates to identify potential in pitching prospects. Any time there was a rule change or MLB decided to jack with stuff, I had faith he would be able to find some players that would thrive in that new environment. Hopefully Click proves to be as good at that.

snowconeman22 and The Beard like this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Click will be among the best checker players in the draft. Luhnow was playing chess.

7. HeyBudLetsParty

Kyle Tucker snuck up on Jeremy Pena to have the highest WAR on team. He’s so well rounded, let’s get a deal done.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't see how he fits on this roster without an injury or trade of a player not expected, but I would love to see Taylor Jones get 75+ PA appearances for the Astros between now and the trade deadline.

He is at the point where the team has to see if he can be a regular contributor ( likely at 1B but 3B, LF, RF also) or give up on him.

Maybe they have already given up on him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

At the plate Bregman is reminding me of late career Morgan Ensberg, walks a ton but isn't doing much else of anything.

BMoney, rockbox and travfrancis like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Meyers got 2 hits yesterday playing DH

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Sugar Land players and manager like it...

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It hasn't shown in the results yet, but Bregman's peripheral numbers are creeping up. His expected batting average is now .265 and his xSLG is now at .450. His exit velocity is the best of his career, and the infield pop up numbers have come down over the last few weeks. The most plain and simple bad luck number number he still has is the .228 BABIP, despite far better contact recently.

I think he's close, none of the peripheral stats support him being such a mediocre hitter. Maybe he doesn't completely play up to these advanced stats, and I never expect him to be 2019 Bregman again without juiced balls, but a .220 hitter with a .377 SLG...he's not this guy. His peripherals all say he is very similar to 18-19 Bregman.

The supporting numbers for Yuli on the other hand are....less promising.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they move to an automated ball-strike system, I wonder if you will see some general de-valuing of the defense-first catchers in the league? Certainly calling a game, catching bad pitches and throwing out runners will still be important, but framing catches should no longer have any impact on balls-strikes, which takes away one of the sources of value good defensive catchers provide. I've never really gotten a good sense of how more framing skills affect the game, though. Probably a hard thing to quantify.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think so. We will see more offense and arm catchers than gamecalling and framing catchers.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Some of y'all will continue to whine about Dusty Baker...but thank Jebus we don't have to endure Tony LaRussa.

Was Tony La Russa's intentional walk of Trea Turner the worst in MLB history?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Exactly this. You'll still want a catcher who is "quiet" behind the plate (i.e. not bouncing around like certain former Astros catchers), but once the pitch is loose, he and the HPU are out of the equation.

There's some stats out there that measure how many strikes a catcher gets on balls out of the zone, and vice versa. It's always seemed totally useless to me, because there's no way to differentiate between the catcher doing his job (good or bad) and the umpire doing his (same).

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't agree.

With Baker, if I close my eyes and pretending back in the 89s I understand his moves ( except resting starters more than Greg Pop)

With TLR it's just like. What?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

There are very few managers that I think less of than Baker. He's just awful so we're probably going to have to agree to disagree here.

I just assume he's asleep in the dugout half of the time lol