1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket Fuel Podcast: ClutchFan mailbag! Why trading Sengun makes no sense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Lachard Binkley

In today's episode, co-host Lachard Binkley (@BinkleyHoops) and Anthony Duckett (@a_duckett) discuss:
    Does trading Alperen Sengun make any sense?
    Rocket's possible starting lineup this season
    Why starting Eric Gordon is a bad idea.
    ClutchFan forum mailbag!

Subscribe to Rocket Fuel and listen on all platforms:
    Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast...
    Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1JOapo0...

#1 Lachard Binkley, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing! Listening to it.

I agree Sengun's not untouchable and you make the no-brainer trades if they come up, but he's still only 19 on the rookie contract.

So we can see how he develops with the newer picks over time as the vision for the team roster develops over the next few years, adding two-way players, Free agents down the road etc.

Lachard Binkley likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for another good podcast guys.

Respectfully disagree with you on drafting for need at #17. It’s not easy to find a long term NBA starter outside the lotto in a weak draft. Our chances of nailing that pick improve greatly if we don’t limit our targets based on need. There’s no doubt we need to do some roster consolidation to free up spots and playing time for player development, but drafting a wing who is not BPA just because we need a wing increases the prospect that we pass on an nba starter for a role player. We need to go BPA at 17. And I’m certainly not a fan of drafting another 6’3”/6’4” guard, but if there’s a clear BPA, I don’t think position matters enough to pass on them, at this point in the rebuild.

also, surprised you didn’t mention DeAngelo Russell as a potential realistic 2023 FA target. He’s young and about to start hitting his best years. He’s a point guard and potential all star one day. If 2023 is the only chance to sign a big free agent before we have to start paying our own players, Russell seems worth considering. But agree that trading for a disgruntled star may be the best way to go.

again, great job guys. Keep ‘em coming and that’s for taking the mail bag questions.

hakeem94 and Lachard Binkley like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Thanks for having fun on the 20 season hypothetical. :D

Personally, I'd take option 2 as well.

Lachard Binkley likes this.
  5. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Great watch and listen. Let me know when you want me on. I’ll bless the pod with the deepest and smoothest voice Houston has listened to since Barry White.

Aruba77, napalm06 and Lachard Binkley like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Love the idea of the Clutchfans/Twitter mailbag and breaking down some of the crazy stuff always floating around, listening now. Cheers guys.