1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Go look at his ops against lefties for
    The last 4 years. It’s not good. It’s trending downward. Nobody said bench him. Platoon him. And pinch hit him close and late on the days a LHP started and he’s available on the bench against a righty. It makes you better two ways- gives him high leverage AB late against RHP. Substitutes an 800 ops plus against lefties in Chaz for a sub 700 against Brantley.
    And, your defense gets better when he sits.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Well he’s hitting better against lefty starters than lefties overall, which means he has been terrible late against lefties, which pretty much renders your idea moot.

I realize it’s a small sample size looking at this year, but I gave you Siri’s career numbers against lefties. Looking at Brantley’s career numbers makes less sense than looking at the last couple of years, but regardless, he’s been markedly better than Siri against LHP. McCormick has been solid against LHP, but he’s struggled a lot against RHP. We face more RHP than LHP. Idk, I just don’t agree at all with your assessment, and that’s fine, you don’t have to agree with me either. But there’s no middle ground here, I don’t see eye to eye with you on this at all.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The easiest explanation is ease. This is a very simple stat formed when OBP and SLG were found readily and often next to each other. Adding them was simple to do and not time consuming.

Now OPS+ is a far more complex calculation and one of my favorites for HITTING and POWER comparisons.

But not even that compares to the many new metric, most of whom I have not taken the time ti understand. It seems the more complex the calculation, the more likely you run into sample size problems and minutia in calculating them so each one has to be sourced and researched. Take WAR, everyone has a different fornula to arrive at their WAR number and that's not even talking about subcategories of WAR like WARo and WARd.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Looking at the numbers since Alvarez has gotten his lower half healthy, the Brantley/McCormick platoon makes more sense when Siri in in CF. I'd personally like seeing Alvarez start getting reps at 1B, but that might be an off season project when and if they decide to try it.

I believe he should start in LF or 1B long term and that would open up positions for players who can hit, but are more limited defensively. He was at 1B in 2016 when we acquired him. But he seems to be fast, but not quick running which would lend itself to OF. Strange that quick hands and bat to ball power do not translate to fielding.

5. Buck Turgidson

Thanks, wasn't sure about Siri. I glanced at his transactions list on mlb.com last night to try and figure it out. Forget that, it's loooong. Dude has certainly bounced around.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs has remaining options on every players page.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are looking at that stat incorrectly.

Read the explanation below it on Baseball Reference.

His OPS is .632 vs LHP

His OPS is .858 in ALL PA of games LH pitchers start, which means that he flat out owns RH relievers.

This is even further evidence to platoon him

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In a vacuum I understand what you are saying. Siri and/or McCormick are better ball players than Dubon so Dubon should be the odd man out.

Your outfield plan is great. It's a shame there is the 26 man limit and/or a team doesn't use only 10 pitchers like the old days.

One of this teams philosophies is regularly resting all players. Your plan severely limits that approach because there are simply not enough infielders.

Maybe if this was 3-4 years ago when Yuli played enough 3B and Bregman played enough SS to slide over there once in a while it might work but those guys have become 1 position only players now.

Jake, McCormick, and Brantley even all throw left handed so you couldn't even throw one of them into the infield in an emergency ( a la Myles Straw) except at 1B. Maybe Tucker should learn 3B? ( kidding)

The benefits in the outfield simply are not worth the limitations it puts on the infield.

9. Landry's Tooth

I like dusty, but wish he wasn't so stubborn with r/l in the lineup....

Would love to see:

Altuve
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Tucker
    Pena
    Brantley
    Gurriel
    CF
    Catcher

Just wonder what the lineup will do...

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I certainly would miss the way he hits compared to the strikeout happy 3-headed CF.

11. Buck Turgidson

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Which one of you has the banner hanging in your house?

ryan_98 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Somewhere a Yankeefan is trying to burn metal

marks0223 likes this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

I would rather them try to burn metal rather than throwing it at fans in the bathroom, so I guess that’s progress.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, was just thinking an Astros fan stole it for their man cave but it probably was a Yankees or Dodgers fan. This will probably be trending nationwide soon with fans around the country piling on.

Buck Turgidson and BigM like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I'd hook an electric line up to the flagpole

Squirtle and marks0223 like this.
  17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

DID SOMEBODY ORDER A WARTHOG?!

18. E-Man

E-Man Member

Or a California / Dodger fans transplant ripped it off.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'm thinking we should bring up Yanier Diaz for a two week try out and if he does well we should DFA Castro.

Also Andrew Benintendi should definitely be a target . Maybe Odorizzi McCormick a PTBNL and International cash.

Move Brantley to 1B
    Shop Yuli and Whitley to the Jays for Cavan and Pauquntino

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Cody Bellinger has reached an all time low