1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN975) Rumor: Kyrie Irving to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 1, 2022.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why him? Wall can do the same thing without all the garbage that comes with it, plus possibly giving up assets

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I've (and again this is purely the information given) heard that he's intelligent . I understand he's a basketball player but he did get into Duke. When he speaks on anything outside of his current situation he seems self aware at the very least. I don't mind him saying basketball was just a job. It is but in the profession he chose it takes a lot more than that to be a winner. If he doesn't hit that huge 3 in the Finals (and I'll concede he's one of the few guys who can get that off let alone make it) this conversation gets worse in terms of his career. I just don't see his value her at the end of the day(I do respect how you've been rational here in the debate). His mindset currently scares me and I don't want him anywhere near Green

dawesome and Stephen_A like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Well all I know is some teams are reportedly interested in Wall including Heat and Clippers. Perhaps Nets are in as well? If so, Rockets likely exploring trades to swap contracts on expiring deals. Kyrie is still better than Wall. And if the Rockets are looking to do this I would imagine this signals them scrapping the KPJ project. I think Rockets have been in experimental mode past 2 seasons seeing what combinations of players can work (Oladiapo, KPJ, Wood). This acquisition would be no different if org thinks rewards higher than risk. If things are better than expected then maybe they would explore an extension deal. This is all hypothetical of course but would make sense to me.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I get it. I wouldn’t want him long term but I think Stone has just been trying to see what works and if he can dump Wall and get Irving and possibly other assets then the thinking may be “why not?” If he doesn’t work then great we can move on in 2023. If he is amazing with Green then we may have a solid foundation especially if we acquire Ayton or another FA, and draft Banchero. And the very least is to have your future young star play with a perennial all star and 1x NBA champ. I would think Stone and his team would do their homework first in terms of risk and reward and having the intel on if Kyrie even wants to be here.

5. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Kyrie is respected by his peers, at least publicly.

Perhaps the Rockets and Kyrie can bring good out of each other. Jalen seems like an easy teammate to get along with.

Fulgore, coachbadlee and Stephen_A like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm sure he has somethings he can show the youngins.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yes he can show them a 16th century map of a flat earth

8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This... I don't see this as realistic in the slightest way. A trade almost makes no sense because we would send Wall to Nets for him without any further compensation? Let's pretend that happens. No way in hell we are signing him to a new contract. I would be shipping to LA for Westbrick but now I want everything they got 27 and 29 1sts, pick swaps, etc. That is the only team I see desperate enough to give him his max to go along with Davis in the hopes to get LeBron to reup after next year.

Nets not wanting Westbrick makes a ton of sense to me, Durant would never agree to that in a million years. Nets have another Kyrie on the roster in Simmons and Durant must be at Defcon 2 on his way to Defcon 1 at the moment. If he was 100% healthy and durable it already would have happened. In almost 2 years on that team, Harden got to play with the stars 16 or 18 times if I recall. That is seriously effed up.

Shark44 likes this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

F dat guy. He doesn't care about playing games or anything. Basketball cancer!

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

In other news... Jordan is thinking about making a comeback with the Rockets for one more chance at a ring. Take it for what it's worth.

11. TheBeastSystem

1. There are more important things in life than basketball.

2. One of those things is being alive and healthy to raise your children.

3. Deciding not to play if the more important things are jeopardized by playing basketball is a good decision.

saleem and Stephen_A like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

4. Not taking money from your employer when you don't want to work is an ethical thing to do.

luckyman76 and saleem like this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No he can't.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He made those decisions and they had consequences. He lost money due to those decisions. Team didn’t pay him for those 2 games he was absent.

raining threes likes this.
  15. raining threes

I don't care if it's a liberal or conservative cause. What matters to me is, does he show up and do his job to the best of his ability. This doesn't appear to be the case with Kyrie.

luckyman76, Stephen_A and Nook like this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Except when you're very clearly not committed and aren't a good employee. Nike is dropping him because they are literally uncertain of his future in the NBA. He has averaged about 33 games over the last 3 years.

How in the ever living hell are you really going to sit here and act like basketball is this man's priority when he's showing us and his team and his sponsors are telling us that it is not?

peleincubus, YOLO and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Would make no sense for the Rockets unless we're getting an asset to take him on and we waive, buy him out, or bench him.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sure your assessment which is fine. But did Nike say why they dropped him? Maybe there’s a report I missed and Im asking you since I don’t know anything about it. But unless Nike specifically said they are dropping him because of their uncertainty of his continued employment in the NBA then anything else would be speculation. I would think it is because of his outspokenness on other matters including COVID rather than anything basketball related. He paid for his decisions as they weren’t without consequences and if the Nets can’t accept them they should release him.

Now at the same time he has performed on the court and there has been little dispute as to his commitment on the court and to winning. You may not agree with his leadership methods, or socio political stances, or his mental health break but this doesn’t mean he isn’t committed to playing the game of basketball and caring for winning. To me those decisions were selfish but it doesn’t mean he isn’t performing on the court. What has he done when playing in uniform? And my whole point was about his value still as an all star and champion which can still be shared with our young guys. Like him or not he is still a great player.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Stop making me google things for you. It's not hard.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...rie-irvings-shoe-deal-beyond-2022-per-report/

Here's a couple highlights if you can't be bothered to read anything that isn't on this forum.

"Nike is unlikely to extend its current signature shoe deal with NBA star Kyrie Irving beyond the 2022-23 season, in part due to uncertainty surrounding his future as an NBA player, according to a report by ESPN."

Nothing about him being too outspoken. Nothing about his stance on covid. The lone reason they give is their uncertainty surrounding his future as an NBA player. Why do they question that? Because we all know it isn't about his ability on the court. No, it's very clear they question either his commitment or his health. There really isn't a third possibility.

"We need people here that want to be here," Marks said Wednesday, per Nick Friedell of ESPN. "They're selfless, that want to be part of something bigger than themselves -- and there's an objective and there's a goal at stake here. And in order to do that, we're going to need availability from everybody."

that's from his GM. He basically said Kyrie is selfish and not prioritizing the team.

Who cares? He's had only 3 seasons in his entire career where he has broken 70 games. 3!!!! And after playing 20 games then 54 he capped off his third year with the Nets by only playing 29 games in a season in which he was healthy.

Come the hell on.

Marks doesn't want to pay him and is publicly questioning his commitment to a team that was favored to win the championship going into the season. Nike doesn't want to pay him and has told reporters they question his future in the NBA.

BUT YOU THINK HE IS GOING TO SHOW UP AND PLAY FOR THE LEAGUE WORST HOUSTON ROCKETS ?!?!?! You're a flat earther too, aren't you?

xaos and YOLO like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Holy ****, this thread is still going?! 15 ****ing pages!?
    This thread stays at the top of the GARM

STOP! Kyrie is not coming here.
    Kill this ****ing thread already.

Kyrie is not coming here.
    They aren’t trading up to 4.
    Sengun will not be traded.

Any other stupid threads we need to address?

clos4life, charlieaustin and ico4498 like this.