1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming my earlier theory has any validity, I decided to give it a shot. I went with a couple of perceived “win now” teams.

Trade 1
    To WAS: Wood + Josh Christopher + 2023 MIL FRP
    To HOU: KCP + #10

Trade 2
    To POR: Gordon + Tate + #17
    To HOU: Bledsoe + #7

The Rocket could complete those trades and then give #7 and #10 to Sacramento for #4.

Or they could complete one of those trades and give the acquired pick along with the proposed compensation from the other trade to give the Kings some win now assets (ex. Complete Trade 1 and give Kings #10 and Gordon + Tate + #17).

Or they could just offer up all of the proposed assets (Wood+JC+Gordon+Tate + #17 + 2023 MIL FRP) for #4 and matching salary from SAC.

It’s expensive, but I think it’s fair for both sides. If the Rockets could actually pull the two trades off, I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather just go into the draft with three top 10 picks.

BigMaloe, fattz, kjayp and 3 others like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Green Ivey and Rose Wall. Sounds nice.

jbond77 and BigShasta like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm sure they could finesse somehow? I haven't explored it mentally - just throwing out the first random thing that felt more attractive.
    I think my opinion is that IF the Kings trade the 4 pick, it will be for a significant player, not 2 semi significant players.
    They are more likely to add in one of their semi significant players or young talents with the 4 (and a future pick?) and receive back a star

groovemachine likes this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

I work with some of them - they're still shaking their heads.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why would the Rockets trade up to 4 when they could simply wait 5 minutes on draft night and pick 4th?

Stop overthinking it Einstein

mikenm268 and BigShasta like this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

not fighting you, just not feeling Sac as a landing place for CW. Cha, Den, Por, Minn, LAC possibilities?

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Offensively I don't see Ivey as a top prospect. He looks very westbrookish (maybe smarter).

But defensively I think he's got a chance to be elite.

Maybe a much more athletic, a bit more offensive gifted Marcus Smart.

Next to Green that's a good look.

jcmoon, luckyman76 and Mathloom like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

One thing I'll say is that #7 is probably the most gettable of top 10 pick.

I think Portland and Sacramento would prefer a star but Portland is probably more desperate.

theDude likes this.
  9. TheBeastSystem

SGA plus 30 and 34 picks.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who do they want from this draft? Do some of their fans want a veteran instead of a talented rookie?

theDude likes this.
  11. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

OKC could trump any of our offers. It would be cool but I can't see it as feasible.

12. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

What about Wood, EG and #17 for Portland’s 7th pick.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Kinda unpalatable from their pov.

roslolian likes this.
  14. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I’d trade half the team for the pick honestly

15. TheBeastSystem

Good Lawd.

[​IMG]

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm a big believer in putting all our chips into this draft. The 4-10 picks are all really good. I think we did great last year drafting 4 guys who will all be rotation players at minimum. My opinion is if we can get two top 10 picks in this draft, we probably won't need to tank anymore.

Rockets org and many fans are in for a surprise. Rockets won't lose enough to be in the top 5 picks again and that's purely on the strength of Sengun, Green, #3 and the other young guys.

theDude likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sacramento’s window is a little larger, while Portland and Washington really have a one-year window to convince their stars. While these deals might not put them over the top, it gives them the firepower to stay relevant while also giving them some pieces to make a move at the deadline.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It isn't often that the opportunity comes up to acquire a pick like that. I think in the end the Kings will likely stay there and pick, but if it's available, the Rockets absolutely should make calls and see what it takes to make it happen.

I don't think KPJ has much trade value.

Sengun is likely what it would take but even then, I'm not sure what the Kings would think of a Sengun-Sabonis pairing. I would not include next year's pick. I would include #17, Milwaukee's pick next year, Eric Gordon, Christian Wood, Jae'Sean Tate -- any combo there.

If you could exit this draft with Paolo (or whichever big falls to #3) and Ivey to put with Jalen Green and still have next year's pick... that's a massive win.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's going to be tough to pull off but I really hope I'm wrong, Portland owns Milwaukee's 2025 top-4 protected pick and that one could be obtainable for one of the vets. But I would do a lot of combinations to get the 7th pick.

Rokman and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. VoR

VoR Member

y'all are making things too complicated. just sign tyus jones and draft tyty. keep developing kpj.

theDude likes this.