1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. HealthyHamstring

Who does have the win-now package that does supplant ours without question? I am struggling to come up with one as I was saying in the OP

Corrosion likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly. So it could be possible Sac might view the rockets package differently and be a positive for them

HealthyHamstring likes this.
  3. HealthyHamstring

Ok, I was confused. I think we were saying the same thing lol

YOLO likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I disagree that it’s the highest potential young core in the league .

unless you mean under 20 . And then why does that matter vs 22 or 23 ?

it’s just 2 rookies and green .

I do think we should see what we can get for some guys .

I don’t put kmj on the same level as garuba or Christopher as prospects . I want to move wood and Gordon and would hesitate to give up Tate . (Not in a package for #4 tho)

I don’t think we have enough to get there without it being a overpay (2-3 young guys and kpj Tate and multiple firsts )

I think we can get Portland’s tho . And/or maybe Washington’s .

Indy is another team that might be willing to trade their pick .

Christopher and garuba and 17 for 6 ? I miiiight do that , but would not feel good .

Spurs ain’t gonna give up #9 and if they do it’s to move up .

DET might play ball , but idk what kind of contracts they have or what direction they are trying to go .

theDude likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Because 2-3 years from 19-20 tells a ton as far as development and the trajectory of player that has a so called high ceiling

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We are coming off 20 wins. Our package might not look as win now to others as it does to us...

What if Atlanta says John Collins and pick 16? That is vastly superior to our poo poo platter....

You just don't trade a top 4 pick for a package headlined by Christian Wood. Especially not when the team has moved UP to 4th in the lottery. I don't even I understand why this needs to be said....

Genesis likes this.
  8. HealthyHamstring

Not even arguing the ATL pacakage because that is a good point. But I am not sure that is the direction Atlanta is trying to go. I also think our potential packages are better than Collins/16/Huerter. What else would even be in an Atlanta package?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

they moved up to the 4th pick and at the same time they gave up on a then 21 year old who would be a top 5 pick in that 2020 redraft.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

that’s what I’m saying . Y’all are saying they are highest potential based on age and draft position . 2/3 of the players you are talking about have done absolutley 0 at the nba level .

green has only just started to live up to his #2 overall billing .

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

you asked then why does that matter vs 22 or 23?

my post means that a 19-20 year old who is regarded as having a high ceiling has better potential than someone who is already 22/23 years old. Which is absolutely true.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

So, last night after the Celtics won I mentioned how their main guys Tatum/Brown/Smart were all Celtics draft picks. But then I looked it up and they were all drafted really high. So, I went back and looked at every draft again since 2000. One thing I was reminded of is how important it is to draft in the top 5, and also to a lesser extent top 10, and top 15.

Another thing I noticed is that the majority of the promising prospects deeper in the draft may show flashes of talent but most don't pan out. The Draymond, Butler, Jokic types are much more rare than they seem. Usually, whatever weakness caused them to drop in the draft remains forever and is difficult to overcome. When they do pan out it's pure luck and you can't base your team's future on that.

So, I think in most cases it's smart to trade anyone that isn't either an all star caliber player or a recent top 10 pick. Your likelihood of getting a star in the top 5 of any draft is drastically higher than the promising young players you have ever reaching their all star potential.

I would also trade any pick that is guaranteed to be out of the top 10. So that would be the 17th pick and the Bucks pick.

I think what happens is once we get a player and see all the good qualities they have we start to ignore their flaws and the fact that there will be opportunities to get players as good as them later in the draft in the future.

TimDuncanDonaut, thekad and theDude like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Who is regarding them such . ESPN , internet scouts ?

In 2-3 years if green is still developing well Would you trade him for the number #1 overall if a guy you think has a “higher ceiling” ?

even 24 and 25 year olds still have some potential left .

What I’m saying is what is the cutoff for young core ? If it’s just the most recent class or two ... I’m saying the guys in year 3-4 are still on rookie contracts .

It’s a long road to being a top nba player .

You are giving far too much weight to the unproven

14. fattz

fattz Member

If Stone turns Porter (SRP), Wood (Mid level FA signing), Tate(low end FA signing), Martin (low end FA signing) Gordon (broken down carryover from last GM) and 1 FRP that he pulled out of nowhere (nothing to do with Harden or our picks) into the #4 pick he will have turned straw into gold. There is nothing but respect that needs to given.

#74 fattz, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    BigMaloe, jcmoon, pmac and 1 other person like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

In 2-3 years if green is still improving and has that breakout that young upcoming star players have in that typical time span, that shows its moving towards the high ceiling trajectory then no.

If green has basically stalled or even regressed in the next 2-3 years, then that's an easy yes. Because obviously his ceiling is no longer what it was believed could be and you get a better idea of the kind of player he is in this league. Every guy settles into a certain role which determines whether they have a place in the nba or not

24/25 year old potentials aren't great at all if they didn't already breakout prior to that. You might find some minor changes here and there but as far as making some significant leap as a player and how they can impact the game you don't see that at all.

being unproven is part of the actual draft process. That doesn't mean you don't take certain risks because they're "unknown"

#75 YOLO, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Brown Tatum Williams
    Morant bane Jackson melton
    Mobley garland okoro Allen
    Ingram Jones
    Okc’s crew
    Prolly DET over that “core” too

Green / 3/4 is too unknown to fairly label high ceiling .

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure what this post means

especially when you posted a bunch of names that broke out before 24/25 which is the point

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO They could make it work. Or Wood/Alpi could work. However, does even Sac on a bad day risk a #4 pick on such an unsure outcome?

19. Raven

Raven Member

I'd prefer they try to swing a trade for the number two pick.

20. HealthyHamstring

By issue, I really meant I think Sabonis and Wood would work well together on Offense. Maybe Wood isn’t such a disaster if he’s playing 4 on Defense