1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN975) Rumor: Kyrie Irving to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 1, 2022.

1. H. Christopher

Gimme Chet!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Tough call between Kyrie, smallpox, and waterboarding. But I’ll go with Kyrie.

3. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

If it’s for Wall I’m all for it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Don't forget Garuba. He's worth at least 5 wins on his own....

arabrocket likes this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Sure, we'll give you Wall (1yr) for Kyrie (1yr) and Cam Thomas (rookie contract 3yr).

Wall won't be a headcase and will actually wanna play. Kyrie can take all the time off for his spiritual journey as we tank next year and we can see if Cam Thomas is salvageable coming off the bench.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm all for the 3-way

Brooklyn gets: Wall

LA gets: Irving

Houston gets: Westbrook and LA's future 1st

They can't say no to that deal.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is my dream trade

groovemachine likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will play more games than John Wall

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

And the off season has officially begun with this post.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t think I’d be interested in that deal. Is that LA pick likely to be worth anything in the next couple years? Particularly if they get Kyrie? Your move would just continue the slow rebuild. I get that many of you are in favor of that route, but I’m not IF we have opportunities to improve quicker.

11. xaos

xaos Member

To be fair Wall isn't a negative unless if you actually care about how much Tilman is spending on him

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Kyrie is already 30 and barely plays, he’s exactly the type of guy who makes a lakers pick in 3 years even more valuable

groovemachine and Aruba77 like this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well, the Rockets would not play Westbrook anymore than they would play Wall. They both expire next year. In this deal, they get a future first round pick that may be in the lottery in a few years and nothing else changes. It's a good trade chip if they decide they don't need it.

BigM and groovemachine like this.
  14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Or play Brodie and tell him to shoot a lot of 3's whenever we have a lead. Top 5 pick guaranteed. :D

raining threes likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Both of these

Just NO!

Rocket River

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m aware, but in the Kyrie deal… we get Kyrie… who actually plays (assuming he doesn’t go crazy). I’ll take Kyrie over a Lakers first round pick.

Outside of a couple injury years and Covid, he has played 50+ games a year. Yah, that’s not great, but 50 games of Kyrie is enough that you’re prob not going to be a high lottery team when Kyrie is only 33. I’d take the talent if he’s being sold cheap because of his unpredictability.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What I just heard is "He averaged 50 games a year before he only averaged 30 games a year."

He's toxic. He's a flat earther. He's a covid denier. And, worst of all, he simply doesn't care about basketball. I'll trade for him all day and twice on Sunday if we can get him for just Wall, but you don't let that guy anywhere near our kids. He is probably the worst role model in the NBA. You buy him out or you trade him to the Lakers if they'll give you picks.

Literally the only reason I'd even give up Wall for him is that Kyrie's opt in is worth 10 million less a year than Wall's so it would be a cheaper buyout. There is no reason to let him anywhere near this team. He isn't even on the timeline. By the time the kids are good enough to compete, he'll be retired. Hell, it won't shock me if he throws a fit and retires this year.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He
    You heard incorrectly, and I actually was wrong — he had one (not a couple) injury year that caused him to play only 20. And last year he played 20 something because of Covid. Other than that he has always played 50+. Again, I acknowledge that’s not great — which is why he’s being rumored to be discounted. I also acknowledged that he could retire tomorrow — which is again is why he we’re talking about discount trades. I’m also not concerned with him being a role model. He’s not a murderer or a criminal. He’s a weirdo.

Toxicity is an issue I had not fully considered. I wasn’t aware of all the locker room “inside” reports. Those could be accurate or overblown — it’s sports media.

Timeline? I don’t agree that you have to delay progress to fit some subjective arbitrary “timeline.” The timeline is what it is and “determined” afterwards. You play to win, you develop and improve, add talent, compete. The timeline could be 2 years or 6. Depends on the players you have and get. My point is we don’t have to play the slow time line if there is talent available that helps us move forward faster.

I’m 60/40 on the side of trading for Kyrie for cheap. Doesn’t work out? Ship him out or don’t resign him.

20. Rokman

Rokman Member