1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Rockets make a mistake trading Theiss?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, May 30, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No

/Thread

groovemachine and marinara like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I took the Thies signing as he would give the Rockets minutes at the 4 and 5 since the Rockets were severely lacking in that department, and hopefully him being in the right place would help his teammates. I also expected he would be shipped off in a year or 2 once younger guys were ready for more minutes and get someone or a SRP.

No harm (and no benefit) was done despite It going about as bad as it could. Overall, the Rockets aren't/weren't overflowing with veterans even with as much as people whined about it. As much fun as the last 7 or so games were, it was apparent that the team's offense fell apart when Green wasn't on the court (i.e., the veterans were contributing more than they were given credit).

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol his contract was horrible and he was unplayable in the ECF. They just wanted him back for injury insurance since Williams misses a lot of games.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

The funny thing is Boston never wanted to get rid of Theiss. They just weren't willing to pay him what he was looking for. He ended up with them anyway after signing an overpaid contract while finding a sucker to make the dumb decision to do so lol

now he got the best of everything. back to the team he wanted to be on all along, overpaid, doesn't have to play much if at all, NBA finals

5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

You contributed to it... I did too

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think we made a mistake trading Morriss years ago.

marinara likes this.
  7. Houstonfan2022

No. I don't think he could help rockets make playoff this year.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

BREAKING:
    Scientists suspect that role players play roles better on established contending teams than on disorganized upstart teams
    more news at 9

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

OMG, you're right! If we'd have kept Theiss, we would be in the finals now!

Fire Stone!
    Fire Tilman!
    Fire Clutch!

10. PWR

PWR Member

The only mistake we made with the Theis trade was not getting back Sam Hauser from them. We could really use a 6'8" kid that has consistently shot over 40% from three in the last 4 years (college, gleague, and NBA). We should've bought a 2nd round pick last year and snatched him...smh

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It’s hard trying to lose

we played ok D with theis and Tate . But , green wasn’t ready , kpj wasn’t ready , Wood will never be ready .

I didn’t mind the signing . I wouldn’t have minded keeping him . It’s whatever . Stone and Silas are on the clock . If we don’t show significant improvement next year they should both be fired

12. marinara

marinara Member

His value to the Celtics is way more than his value to Houston, especially with his salary. Ideal world we could have traded Wood and Theis could have been a mentor for Sengun possibly. The salary was ridiculous from our part tho.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, he is much happier and the Rocket's cleared room for Sengun.....

Now we need to get rid of Gordon for our guards to get more time.

DD

a time to chill likes this.
  14. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

He is helping a team that could reach the finals. The Rockets needed to have our young core get experience and NBA games under their belt. It was not a mistake...I think our little German(I really hope we keep him) we got in return will help our young guards much more then Theis would the bigs.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Bad threads that don’t even spell the guy’s name right are legendary.

glimmertwins likes this.
  16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Obviously the Celtics would have been a lotto team without Theis. Us Rockets fans just can't catch a break - haha....

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. riko

riko Member

He made zero contribution to the Celtics making the final.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, it's the offseason, so the crap threads will come out. :eek:

This is such a dumb question. We are a rebuilding team. Why in the hell would we keep him on our squad? He was not a fit and he needed to go.

Rafael did the right thing.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Theis was supposed to help paint defense. Add some rim protection to compliment Wood.

The defense was meh, while Wood was still able to get his (offensely), and the guards (KPJ/JG) weren't good enough and needed more space. KPJ was still new to his PG role and JG wasn't nba ready yet and needed half a season to grow.

Theis signing didn't need to happen.

a time to chill likes this.
  20. pass_to_Hakeem

Yet 75% of this forum wanted him gone lol

my time to shine likes this.