1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

inflation - cutting the budget and changing plans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, May 28, 2022.

1. AXG

AXG Member

Same here. I started carpooling as well to use the HOV lane. I can go an extra day without putting gas, maybe two now that school is out.

Squirtle and body slam like this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Housing is the biggest killer if you haven't settled in a permanent already. With interest rates up dramatically to fight inflation, buying a house is almost not an option for some people now. And renting is climbing just as fast. Add that to staples going up and you've got a huge set back for if not a disaster for some.

PatBev, Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only silver lining I see is that Americans are continuing to spend money at the same rate no matter the rise in costs. So far nothing has taken a hit. Travel is steadily climbing, Cars are flying off lots before they get off the delivery trucks and luxury goods can't keep up.

There is so much pent up demand that I might take a year until it slows down.

ArtV and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is in part why we have high inflation. Irrational demand.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Could see a lot of people over extending themselves with high car payments and credit card debt. If inflation continues, eventually some of the payments people could "afford", might not look so affordable.

I'm happy our cars are paid for and mortgage is very reasonable.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

At least we can still afford the cookouts.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

The picture of that food looks terrible. What is that, beans, cheese, grilled chicken and ground beef?

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Starting off with pork and beans is never a good sign, that's the most recession proof "dish" you can buy. In the future they shouldn't get budgeting advice from Dave Ramsay.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You shouldn't get any advice from Dave Ramsey other than the very basic 'debt free' for most people (consumer Americans). But being 'debt free' is the antithesis to being financially successful. Wealthy people are all in debt. They leverage other people's money to make more than they borrow and pay not a cent more than they owe.

Anyway, back to topic:

The key to being happy while being frugal is mental clarity. One key to mental clarity is being healthy in body. You can get healthy on a very very strict diet. Pushups, situps and dips are free. A pullup bar is $30ish. Walks are free. Sleep is free. Breathing correctly is free. Proper form and posture is free.

Eating healthy is cheap. Canned tuna, oatmeal, bargain meat and veggies. All you need is a pan, water and a cooktop.

**** junk food will wreck your mental clarity. Being addicted to the internet will wreck your clarity too. Give yourself an allotment of time for internet daily, then turn it off.

Once you've achieved more mental focus and happiness, even the small things can keep you entertained and at peace.

#89 Xerobull, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Am I the only person who just finds oatmeal boring? I will buy it and I will make it, but I can't eat it more than once a week. Even if I spruce it up.

My go to breakfast is eggs and toast but I usually do not give myself enough time to make it in the morning, and my wife and kids don't even like eggs.

I would be a better person if I could do what you prescribe though. I lack the mental toughness to follow through with it.

ROCKSS and Xerobull like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Treat oatmeal as vitamins for colon cancer and heart disease. Then spruce it up for variety rather than taste.

Makes it easier to swallow as a routine.

Trader Joes sells this crazy fiber cereal that has a quarter of your daily fiber (11g). Same thing since I'm not the healthiest when eating veg and natural fiber.

Xerobull and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Once you wolf down enough oatmeal, you're full. It doesn't matter what it tastes like. If you treat food as a function, then when you actually treat yourself to actual good food (read: not just butter & salt), it's a real treat.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yeah just saving less for middle class and up. Those that are on the lower scale are hurting now. Food bank usage is up significantly. Housing numbers will take a bit to work it's way into view since most are locked in a lease under the lower amount. Once those leases come up for renewal and they have to spend more on housing, then something has to give.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you just described Taco Tuesday at LeBron’s house.

15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Have been down on the masterbating level, myself. But I do take 1 hour of walks per day :)

Ubiquitin and Xerobull like this.
  16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

GOT EM.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

18. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Italy this month, shout out.

I approve this post overall.

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

BWHAHA

Ubiquitin and Squirtle like this.
  20. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Real talk though, OP. I haven't adjusted a ton. We've been doing more or less what we've always been doing. For us, the costs are what they are. It sucks they are higher, but the wife and I have gotten good raises over the last 2 years either by switching jobs (bigger raise of course) or just getting regular raises. We don't try to go crazy each month though. Get groceries maybe twice a month. Massages 1-2 times a month. We carpool and use the HOV lane now for work. I work at home mostly, she's a nurse. Saving a lot for a baby when she does get pregnant, that kind of thing. As our income has gone up, we haven't necessarily been spending a ton more which is good.

The Italy trip, for example was planned about half a year ago and even though we went up like nearly 50% in total income... we still do like small out of town trips most times. Major vacation maybe once a year. We try to cook more stuff at home too and eat out less.

#100 Squirtle, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    body slam, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.