1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets intrigued by thought of Jaden Ivey and Jalen Green backcourt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, May 31, 2022.

1. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

[​IMG]

Believe It! and cheke64 like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fair. I realized too that it could be argued that Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton fit the bill. But still, seems like there are a lot more rings won by explosive players than players that lack explosiveness.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL did you just miss what Memphis did this year and how young their roster is?

4. The geth & the reaper

That’s the point of the rumor, okc beliefs that Ivey will be available at 4 thus allowing the kings to trade up for Jabari or Chet maybe Paolo. Houston takes who ever is left of the big 3 and okc gets their guy in Ivey at 4 plus additional pick from the kings.

If okc really wants Ivey then Houston is making known he might not be there at 4 so make okc to take him at 2?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I guess somebody buried the lead.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  6. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

No I didn't. In a follow-up comment I said they're way ahead of us.

But the original comment, dude saying Stone sucks because we had the worst record is super flimsy analysis

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I honestly believe this is a smokescreen to scare the thunder to stay put... I believe thunder might want Ivey, but I also believe the kings might want Banchero more then Chet. So if the trade up/down with the kings/thunder happen it's because kings want to leapfrog the rockets before we take Banchero and thunder only want Ivey. And if the rumors are true rockets actually favor Banchero the most the FO obviously don't want to risk losing him if the kings trade up.

larry cook likes this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

While I fear a lack of size and "true" pg, I am mystified about how an opposing defense stops a 3guard lineup of
    Ivey
    Green
    KPJ
    The mismatches would be insane on offense. All 3 would be able to get out on the break so fast and also take advantage of mismatches in the halfcourt.

I'd personally love to see it but do fear the front court and interior defense problems this would create.

I'm truly resigned to being 100% happy no matter what happens and who we pick.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I'm not overly worried about height with Ivey in the backcourt. He is 6'4" which is an inch or two less than ideal, but he has a wingspan of around 6'10" and is very nimble, he should be able to have no issue guarding both 1's and 2's as long as he gives effort. He also is stronger than Green, so he won't be pushed around as easily. I actually think an Ivey/Green back court with Christopher off the bench has the long term potential to be be good defensively if it is a priority for them.

Yeah, the Rockets would still have issues inside defensively, but they will have problems there if they end up with anyone except Holmgren at #3. Smith can be a good defender and can switch but he is more perimeter oriented so the Rockets would still need a rare 5 that can switch and stay on the floor in small line ups but also can protect the paint..... that is the need of the Rockets no matter what anyway if they get Smith or Banchero or Ivey.

At 17 the Rockets can possibly get a starter at the 3 of 4 that can defend some and play a role player type role.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m considering the glass half full version of the Green Ivey Era. :D

I still think they draft whichever big falls but the speculation is fun.

saleem and BigM like this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m intrigued too. Not enough to take Ivey over one of the other 3, but I can’t fault their draft record so far.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This team is barely 2 years removed from Harden and already have their next face of the franchise and have filled the roster with up and coming young talent. I think thats why he was even mentioned in that list to begin with and it shouldnt be something to scoff at. There is about to be a huge amount of cap space and we still have a bunch of 1st round picks coming up. Stone has positioned this franchise as well as anyone could have hoped and may turn us into a dynasty - whether it be by luck or skill I dont really care as long as it leads to parades. Shaking fists for wins is just chasing the wind because the plan was for this team to lose all along. When its time to win I expect Stone to find a better coach and to sign a Tier 1 free agent which should be fairly easy in a couple of seasons. Coaches will line up to work here and FA's will do the same. Stone has shown that he is willing to work with players and find a compromise when needed. He's a great manager somewhat surprised that he doesnt get full support, but again this is Clutch Fans. Most other places give the man his due.

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am also intrigued by Ives - as I am with Sharpe or Murray. Doesn't mean I would draft either of them ahead of the big 3. This should be the easiest draft decision for the Rockets since Yao...

14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The rockets are stirring the pot. If OKC draft Ivey that means the Rockets would have 2 big men options to draft from.

From there, the draft order could get messed up for the rest of the teams.

If we move up from the 17 pick to possibly 13, we might just get lucky and get our guy at 13 as well.

15. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Bro you mentioned it - not great on the trade front because of Dipo- not keeping Allen etc… but had harden chose Philly we would have the train wreck of Ben Simmons right now

- Didn’t want to derail this thread but looking at stone objectively during his short tenure…a main point is what Stone has failed to do during trade deadlines - total failures in my opinion by not trading EG at peak value and wood etc.

edit: I see Nook dropping more info on this so No need for more replies

I want to see more from RuhFelle as well but not a fan of his free agent signings at all and mixed reviews on the trade front was what my original post was.

#95 BHannes2BHonest, May 31, 2022
    Last edited: May 31, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

The Dipo trade didn't work out. Several other trades did. Can't win 'em all. The Oladipo trade didn't reallycset the team back at all, and with Allen instead this team may very well have given their 2021 first to OKC. That means no Jalen Green.

And Harden didn't choose Brooklyn, Stone took their offer instead. After being traded to Philly, James said that's where he wanted to be all along.

Not making a trade that you feel he should have made doesn't mean he made a bad move. There's an argument to make in favor of keeping Gordon around to help with the development of guys like Green. We could arguably benefit more from that approach than we could from a very late 1st in this draft.

I'm not sure what offers we had vs what we chose to do, but I don't buy that we had to trade Gordon at the deadline and that anything else would mean unequivocal failure.

17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Harden said the same thing about how the nets were where he wanted to be. Harden is not above lying I hope you know this and @Nook has given us some inside information that harden wanted to go to either Brooklyn or Philly and was flip flopping until the very end.

18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I remember reading an article where Tilman asked harden, Philly or Bk..?

also the Dipo trade “we have first rounders lined up for him” - then pat riley Rooked him at the last minute (showed some inexperience)

Allen and Lavert could have netted us additional picks instead of the Dipo “return”

with Gordon his value was the highest last year at the deadline, especially considering his injury history and shooting numbers back then.

there are cases to be made on both sides but when rebuilding, you should be in asset collection mode. Which means buy low sell high amongst other things like cap space utilization etc..

Again, hoping he continues to kill it in the draft and get better on free agent signings because that has been atrocious.

YOLO likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Stone playing you all and I LOVE IT!!! :D:D:D

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i could very well see Ivey being the second best player in the draft... he's #2 on my board for a reason.

that being said i'm taking Paolo and proballlllly Jabari over him. I'd take Ivey over Chet any day of the week. It's a guards league.