1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

We've done better on the boards this half but now are missing open shots and Hall's defense is stepping up.

Cunningham needs to know his role as well...his 1-on-2 offhand jump hook off the front of the rim earlier was less than desirable.

Team's a work in progress, especially on offense. You can obviously tell that Carr and Jones are not comfortable yet, but I'm really impressed with Mitchell and Allen.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  2. Bob Barker 007

Very poor guard play and not well coached down the stretch. High floor, low ceiling team

3. Buck Turgidson

Tough loss in a winnable game on the road.

Beard has got to get the offense to be more cohesive and get better ball movement, especially from the guards. It's bad when one of your 2 starting bigs is easily the best passer on the team (Allen).

Carr has been a disappointment as a scorer so far, which is giving me bad flashbacks of the Texans.

This was always going to be a weird transition year with all the new staff and the transfers...they have potential, we'll see.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If I never have to watch Marcus Carr play again that’s be too many times.

monger it, he’s not horrible. But he just seems like he does nothing out there and in no way sets up an offense. He’s just decent at dribbling without turning it over yet not getting anywhere, making any plays.

5. JayZ750

well not surprisingly Carr had a decent second half… but I’m still mostly non plused by him most of the time.

This squad Shiism make it to the round of 32. From there toss up. Can also see them losing in the first round cause every game is close with them. Their absolute ceiling is the sweet 16 cause agin every game is close and they don’t have enough firepower imo to win 3 tough games in a row. But making it to the second weekend wound be overachieving and a solid step

And it seems like they have a decent recruiting class, I think Timmy Allen can come back next year and he’s clearly their best player and I suspect Beard will get some more transfers so next year could be better. Askew needs to take a step up next year too.

6. Major

Major Member

So how much of it was really Chris Beard vs the defensive assistant that is now Texas Tech's head coach?

7. Buck Turgidson

I don't see a major difference between the 2 teams. Main thing I've noticed is that Tech doesn't seem to routinely go ice cold for 8-9 minute stretches.

Also, Tech has several transfers getting minutes, just like the Horns, but Tech also has guys who have been in the same system for years.

Carr has been a massive disappointment, not the only one at all, but the biggest.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  8. beardsanity713

Finally out the first round!!!

Good Win

Chris Beard the truth!

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

What Shaka couldn’t do during his entire tenure, Beard did in year 1.

UT vs J Ivey. Looking forward to that

beardsanity713 likes this.
  10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing Shaka and Marquette get absolutely boat raced in round one was pretty cathartic.

I'd say this season was a success for what it was. This was a team with very little chemistry and that showed in the worst times. There were flashes of individual skill, especially from Marcus Carr in the tournament, but overall inconsistent play. I'm interested to see who Beard can recruit instead of relying so much on the transfer portal. It stings that there was a golden path to the Elite Eight if we'd beaten Purdue, but that's the tournament for you.

All in all, there will be some excitement going into the new arena next season. Now it's onto the Lady Longhorns and their sweet sixteen run!

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

UT desperately needs an actual big. Whether its full time or not, they need a bruiser down there as a rotational piece. Guys like bishop/allen can't be your primary frontcourt and playing out of position all game long

The transfer portal rule change to play immediately changed the landscape of recruiting forever. Now it potentially doesn't hurt as bad when a team misses out on their top recruits if they can grab a good player who isn't the right fit for another team.

#871 YOLO, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    mtbrays likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Bingo. Let's give them a year or 2.

Strangely, recruiting big men was the best thing Shaka did. He sent ~5 to the NBA?

13. Buck Turgidson

#873 Buck Turgidson, May 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. i3artow i3aller

16. i3artow i3aller

17. Buck Turgidson

Huge game tonight

18. JayZ750

Chris Beard seems to be doing some really great things here.

Loading team so to speak with veteran transfers. Gearing up excitement with high profile freshman.

This is the way.

How refreshing to have the Longhorns hire a coach that knock on wood has a clue...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Really fun game so far.

Is Drew Timme 30 years old yet?

20. Buck Turgidson

Beard Defense vs Sampson Defense would be great to watch this year, scoring like a Jr High girl's game.