1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Top Gun - Maverick

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cruise wanted military cooperation to get real footage and less CGI.

The consequence of that is old jets and propaganda.

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It was entertaining and they pulled it off after all these years. Solid B, worth the watch.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Most of the movie is a little ridiculous, but how does a single mom who owns a bar have 100k car , a super expensive boat, and million dollar house?

Squirtle and zeeshan2 like this.
  4. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Loved it. Wouldn't change a thing except replace any love story with more Tom cruise rejecting authority.

plutoblue11 and B-Bob like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Movie may be good, but F-18s are lame -- the 2008 Camry V6 of the sky.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Saw it today. I thought it was a great sequel and mostly well done. I had a couple issues

Didn’t care for the corniness in the beginning and the obvious similarity between Hangman and Ice.

Did not like the last scene with Mav flying his woman around to Lady Gaga. So f***ing soft
    after that adrenaline rush. She was such a small part of the movie that it could’ve very easily ended on the carrier and most people would be happy.

9/10 for me. Tough to make a sequel this long after an all-time classic and make it good on its own.

Gabe0941 likes this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Really liked it. Money well spent by the US Navy I am sure.

Surfguy and Kim like this.
  8. Beezy

Beezy Member

I'm ready for the TGCU.

9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

She's supposed to be the admiral's daughter mentioned in the first movie (I didn't remember that, watched a recent summary of the call backs to the first movie).

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At least that's plausible. She pulled an Amber Heard and had Elon Musk's baby.

Most of the rest of the movie is flat out absurd.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly......

DD

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

She's the daughter of an Admiral. I think she was mentioned briefly in the original movie and then they just ran with the story and created Connelly.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the post above.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Lol, I left before the final scene. I thought to myself, "this was great and can only get worse (like The Batman) these final 3 minutes" so I bounced.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Miss Crashed and Burned the first time!?

15. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Glad I saw it on the big screen. I kinda predicted everything that would happen during the mission, but it still caught me off guard and I clapped. Hahahaha.

9.5/10

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Enjoyable. The Flight Scenes were very well-done.

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

ROCKSS likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Using older jets actually enhances the movie. Focus is on the pilots, than the technology.

DaDakota and Squirtle like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I hated the original so I tempered my expectations but after I saw the overwhelming positive reviews, I saw this on Friday night and came away pleasantly surprised. Some stuff I didn't like:

Too many similarities with the first movie. Laying Jennifer Connelly down like the other woman in the original, the dumb unnecessary shirtless sports playing, the corniness in the beginning, the stuff at the end with Lady Gaga singing over the finale, and there's too much obsession with Iceman and Maverick; like I get why but it was just too much. Storyline was too predictable

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw this Saturday night. If you like the first movie, you'll probably like this. They are basically the same movie with more exciting plane stuff. Some of it was sooo similar to the first movie that it was kind of laughable.

I agree with those that said you have to really turn your brain off. They did their best to try and set up a "mission" that would require them to approach it exactly as they did in the movie (basically like a video game level), but even then everything is full of plot holes. So many other, better ways they could have accomplished what they wanted. But it was exciting and fun.

Cruise did a good job. Connelly did a mostly good job (they had some scenes that were very awkward and their chemistry wasn't always great...but good enough for a subplot, I guess). I thought Miles Teller was pretty good and most of the rest of the cast as well. I think it was the right choice to not go heavy CGI. It really wouldn't have worked very well in this.

It was surprisingly funny, too. Some very laugh out loud moments that I wasn't expecting. I will forever remain disappointed, however, that no one, at any point, uttered the line "I want some butts!"

I enjoyed it, but I could easily see how someone that wasn't into this type of movie would hate it. 8/10