1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uvalde cops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, May 26, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So the guy said it himself. Its easy to say in hindsight. Aka they got more information. lol

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is about self-preservation imo. No cop wants to rush into a scenario where they are instantly at risk of death. It's easier said than done. It's also easy to lose time as someone in the chain-of-command f--cks up...because they are in self-preservation mode imo.

tmacfor35 likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

My argument was one from real police officers and what there thinking would be in that situation because they have lived it. They also said that they would wait for more information before passing judgement.

My dad's impression(retired state trooper) said that they would have waited for a ballistic shield in the scenario mentioned which would explain why 16 guys didn't want to go in the door.

Bigger issue is why that type of tech not on scene in a small town like that. That is where the real failure lies.

4. tmacfor35

That is 100% correct.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The picture I just posted shows ****ing NIGHT VISION, helmet, XXXL vest, single point sling on a carbine with a suppressor AN/PEQ-2 IR laser, chest mag holder (hundreds of rounds)

WTF more of a SOCOM kit do you need?

blue_eyed_devil, Fyreball and cheke64 like this.
  6. conquistador#11

I overheard my newly built mansion neighbor ask his wife something like "Do the cops ever come around here?" Actual shots fired that echoed from Bingle/Hammerly I think, could have been Long point. My CSI ballistics training is not as sharp.
    I wanted to say something but I bit my tongue. In east Spring Branch, cops have never given a single *****. And there is a police station on Long Point rd! That said, I would think once the shooter barricaded down they would treat it as a hostage situation. In which case, I would understand why they didn't go in guns blazing and waited. Pretty shittay that other cops went in to get their own children and peppersprayed/ cuffed the parents who wanted to go in and get their children. Still thinking about that.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I added to my comment, he clarified they didn't follow the standard training procedure that's expected. Could it have gone worse, sure, but the actions not taken, are really bad. Those kids bleeding out is inexcusable. I know AR-15s are typically lethal wounds, but the cops inaction in this situation - made sure there was no chance of saving them.

Again, I'm not saying I'd be the hero/be any better but I'm not expected to be, because I'm not a LEO that's expected to act. This is all looking poorly the more information we get, initially I thought "there's no way it was handled this poorly" - then as I started seeing actual time lines/other officers who are allowed to be an armchair quarterback due to their actual training say the same thing, I'm going to take their word for it.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The chief of police and some of his officers are in serious trouble.

9. Surfguy

They will probably just be fired and replaced.

10. Surfguy

One thing they MUST do is raise the gun buying age to 21! 18 is totally unacceptable.

CCity Zero and Andre0087 like this.
  11. tmacfor35

I would prefer a polygraph test but I do agree they need to raise the age.

12. tmacfor35

Bigger question is why wasn’t their ballistic shields ready to go or the swat team involved in such a small town. That’s the part I can’t understand.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now this I sincerely doubt. Gov. Wheelchair and the rest of the MAGA cult running this state are in full-fledged CYA mode and they will say ANYTHING to deflect any semblance of blame or responsibility for what happened. Just can't wait for Abbot's next photo op in Uvalde today. Abbot's Constitutional Carry legislation set the stage for this because it legalized an 18 yr old kid's ability to get military grade weaponry without any evaluation, license or training. Unfortunately, I expect to see more and more of these attacks because in Texas, guns are valued more than human life.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that I've heard the latest info from the Chief of Uvalde PD I agree this was a terrible job by the LEO on scene. They made some bad miscalculations that ended up costing more lives.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

And moved on to other departments you mean

Rocket River

mdrowe00 and Andre0087 like this.
  16. KingCheetah

No this is different -- the director of DPS just explained in a news conference that the orders given and choices made in the hall were wrong -- this likely resulted in several more children being killed. We're going to have federal investigations at a minimum.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Where is Sisko when we need him?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure it's not easy but they get paid a decent chunk of public $$$ becuase they repeatedly represent that this is the type of task they handle and are able to face and how the rest of us civvies simply don't understand. That is why we spend billions on body armor and tanks and **** like that every year.

If it's too difficult and dangerous, fine, but stop asking for bulletproof vests and marching around with blue line flags like every day you go into work at Iwo Jima.

Robocop words -> Paul Blart Mall cop actions

BigM, Rocket River and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. KingCheetah

Biden is going to call for federal investigations -- I would imagine Abbott is in crisis mode right now.

Andre0087 likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

COWARDS. They should have given the parents their guns. I guess it is easier to shoot unarmed Black and Brown men and be called "Brave" than confront an armed shooter in a school.