1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could any 18-year-old center that ever lived have fixed last year's defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 26, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I'd take a top 5 pick for Alpi. Pass other than that.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Young Deckard
    [​IMG]

Old Deckard
    [​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut, D-rock and Deckard like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BRING ME TARI EASON!

D-rock, Deckard and Nook like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Different eras but I think that scrawny dude from Bethlehem could have made a difference under the right coach

5. hakeemthagreat

Sengun's defense is slightly above average? No. It is atrocious. Stop making it as if he's somehow mediocre. He's nowhere near being good defensively

maj21 likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he certainly has some promising defensive attributes though, that are possibly getting underrated around here by the NBA2K "trade everyone" brigade. How many guys at that age are 2 steal + 2 block threats? For me, I'd like to see how he adapts to NBA referees and speed over time, because the guy is insanely intelligent.

If all you guys care about is the Rockets winning, and you would take Stockton and Malone to do it, I can't say I agree. I'd rather be a contender with players that I like, that we groom and show loyalty to here in the H. If we don't get behind our homegrown rookies, who does?

The dudes calling for us to trade our talented teenagers for more draft pick mysteries aren't my type of "fans"

7. TimDuncanDonaut

He's decent for his age and experience. Room to grow certainly.

There are people that blow by him, but not everyone. A good example of his defense is the HOU-LAL game. Lebron thought he could iso blow by Sengun, but gave up in subsequent plays after realizing Sengun could stay with him and contest.

Sengun is also one of the better blockers on the team. He had a few possessions where he didn't just 'block' but block it to a teammate or grab the rebound off the block. And the defensive effort is there, he tries; can't say about everyone on the team.

I put slightly below to say maybe he could be a neutral, he's not elite. Doesn't help when Wood also doesn't help rim protect, which again with Paolo, could be more of the same.

D-rock, cmoak1982 and Deckard like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't understand why folks want to give up a sengun for a top 4 pick so early.

That's literally giving up on the sengun show a season in for a brand new rookie who has the potential to b bust.

Sengun for sure was drafted too low last season.
    Sengun potential and what we seen so far is very encouraging.

Mam is literally the youngest on the team. Only person I would trade him for is wembanyama.
    Or a young star. Trading him for draft assets is meh

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

would you also trade away Luka Doncic?

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Damn man, Sengun is so much better than people think. Going to be fun watching those first 10-20 games.

AroundTheWorld, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

switch sengun for looney and gsw wouldnt miss a beat, while rockets still would be the worst team in nba...and the offensive genius silas would make looney shooting 5-8 3 pointers a game on 20% efficiency
    lolololol

TAKE THAT FOR DATA

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Folks still wanting to trading sengun after such a good end of the season for him makes me wonder y?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Anti-vaxxer

King1 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

That was also a very different era of basketball.

Very little switching. If any.

saleem likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

But I heard that rim protection doesn't correlate to winning. :rolleyes:o_O

And Stone was beyond stupid when he routed JA to Cavs.

#155 D-rock, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

As poor a defender as Sengun may be, Banchero was less effective less efficient less productive defensively at Duke than Sengun was at Turkey.

Reasons for lack of production may vary but the bottom line is both are low level defenders with similar limitations in same area.

17. hakeemthagreat

It's the nba. If the Rockets have a opportunity to trade anybody but Jalen Green, then do it. Nobody else on this team is untouchable

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The other teams are also seeing what we're seeing. They won't give up too much for Sengun and JC or KPJ.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

That's good and all but what about hot-dog @Deckard ?

[​IMG]

Deckard and Easy like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Trading a talented 18 yr old oozing w/ potential for another rookie, makes no sense. we have to spend another year developing the rookie, hoping he would b even better than sengun. Makes no sense.

Just like how Green blossom In a span of a year, I believe sengun could b even greater n3xt season man is wayyyyy to crafty and smart to regress.

Sengun always!