1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

All true, Banchero could develop in a neutral to slightly plus defender depending on how much energy he expends on offense. Smith has the potential to be first team all defense eventually. Big difference on that end of the court.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Ask Hakeem.

Mr.Scary and D-rock like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How am I moving goalpost when Chet's main claim to fame defensively is shot blocking?

When I said that about the rim protection it was because everybody was also saying that he would not play C and then people gave an example of JJJ which I had not thought of and acknowledged that but the question still remains how does shot blocking correlate to winning and how does Holmgren's frame correlate to being a rim protector in the NBA.

Don't you ever get tired of getting bent out of shape when somebody ask a simple question for discussion.

What about asking these questions is moving a goal post?

Are these current teams tops in shot blocking or rim protection? I really don't know, so I wanted to get some numbers, is GSW a top rim protecting team since they have been winning?

Just trying to spark some discussion, my guy.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF are you talking about?

Hakeem shot blocking was not the key to what made him great it was his offense as well as his defense.

So now we out bringing up Hakeem when talking about Holmgren?

Blasphemous.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I looked up a guy who is a great offensive guy at C and averages less than a block a game, I guess the people who keep bringing up Banchero non rim protecting would not like this guy.

Per Game
    Season Age BLK
    2019-20 24 0.6
    2020-21 25 0.7
    2021-22 26 0.9
    Career 0.7

Jokic

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is he?

7. MystikArkitect

At the beginning of the draft process, I thought Chet had the highest ceiling. As time has gone on, that's kind of faded. Have watched every video, mock draft and analysis on him and the general consensus is that he'll be a tall guy that can hit the occasional shot. I was hoping there was a lot more offensive upside to him but there doesn't seem to be. I do think part of the issue is his coaches pigeon holing him into the "stand there and be tall" role but their job is to win games. Duke's strategy a lot of the time was "Paolo go win us this game". Can Chet become Durant-lite on offense? I think he could but man is it going to be rough at first. Like...really rough.

I think the Rockets just need talent in the worst way. I'll take any of the 3. Fit doesn't really matter right now with them. This team is devoid of talent outside of Green, Sengun, Garuba (man do I hope hes improved) and maybe Jaygup.

Easy likes this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

You asked the question do blocks coorelate to winning. If you don't think Hakeem could give you a good answer, then ask John Starks.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

icymi: That wasn’t a quote from Rafael Stone.

BigM and D-rock like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Players with similar DWS and Def rtg as Paolo's freshman seasons:

Deandre Ayton
    Jalen Smith
    Tobias Harris

D-rock likes this.
  11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Have a feeling we’re going to regret passing on Jaden Ivey. You watch the film, and his game just pops. NBA-range, step-back 3s, transition, getting to and finishing at the rim, athleticism, underrated defender, capable playmaker. Checks all the boxes.

He looked like a bonafide star, despite having to play with a clogged paint every game. Ivey is going to dominate with the spacing in today’s NBA.

It’s tough passing on someone like that, especially when you have the chance to pair him with a Jalen Green. They would be one of the most unguardable and dynamic backcourts instantly.

Rokman likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Love Ivey as much as Banchero. Wouldn't be mad with Ivey but he is even more redundant than Paolo.

Rokman likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If it worked out right. the Rockets almost certainly would still have enough assets to get some very good front court players to go along with Sengun in the coming 2 seasons.

I just don’t know if “dynamic” equals effective and top team in the league.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The league shifts around as to what's in vogue. Lately, it has become the 3 & D.

This is where Chet comes in. If the league stays with the 5 running around shooting 3's that is one thing, but what if it shifts to a more physical game inside? What if teams built around guys like Embiid become fashionable? If it does, that is bad news for Chet. Those guys out muscling him by 50-60 pounds are going to have their way with him.

May work out that way, may not. Might have a bearing on Chet's future though.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Why would you do that?

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tari Eason falls to Rockets at #17.

And Stone picks TYTY WASHINGTON instead????

Why does this feel like it really might happen?

Mr.Scary and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is a reason why NBA new rules are guard centric and center restrictive.

Because players of Embiid's size and skillset are few and far far FAR between.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What if Washington is the next Maxey and Eason the next Thybulle, who would have the better career?

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tucker Carlson loves to ask fakeass leading questions too.

If you really are sincere then figure some of these things for yourself, you got google too.

Add to the conversation.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Eason already shooting 36% from 3.

Thybulle with 3ball is an All Star.