1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yes, perhaps a lot of the parents. I know that a lot of people would devastated and sad. Many in this situation would have to pick themselves up as much as possible to care for their other children.

For me though I only have one child and at least first I would just be angry and would want people to see what the f*ck was done to him while he was just trying learn.

maybe I wouldn’t though I don’t know.

Reeko likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's obvious he is just trying to set up something to argue against.
    Just like I thought.

Great point, maybe we should have a mental health screening before being able to purchase a gun, kind of like they do a screening before being admitted in the army or police force.

I know it will not stop evry shooting but some of these wackos would be stopped from purchasing so easily.

mtbrays likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Reminder that Gregg Abbott gutted over 200 million in mental health services in the State of Texas in April. If it's really about "Mental Health" Abbott deserves to get fired in November for that fact alone.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m very interested at the full story concerning the police .

could this be the wake up call we need to Change policing

6. Major

Major Member

Will be interesting to see how accurate this version of events is:

(the end is dumb... the left doesn't just want to ban guns. and he repeats the standard "there are other solutions" stuff and then, of course, doesn't mention any)

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

211m to be exact.

And Texas ranks DEAD LAST in access to Mental health out of all the states.

SOLID 50!

DD

#1707 DaDakota, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    dobro1229 likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hmm, this was 11 years ago.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately mass shootings haven't exploed on the scene since Heller. Columbine was 1999, Killeen was 1991, Stockton was 1989 and of course the UT Tower mass shooting was 1966.

There have been mass murderers throughout our history. What's changed is that we hear more about them because of the prevalence of media and also because the weapons available to civilians are much more lethal.

Also while Heller did clarify that right to own arms did mean firearms and as such there could be no blanket bans on firearms Scalia's majority opinion did state that firearms could be regulated.

10. dobro1229

maybe it’s a combination of the assault weapons ban expiring on W’s watch and Heller, but the numbers don’t lie that the shootings have increased quite a bit since that time. Yes Columbine was before then. We all know that and most remember it well.

[​IMG]

Tomstro likes this.
  11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Part of that is just going to be population growth. In 1966 there were only 200M people in the US. In 1989, there were 250M. Now there are 331M. Obviously that is not the only factor, but looking at only raw numbers will not take that into account. It is also worth noting that the murder rate is down from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, fluctuating between just over 5 and just over 6 per hundred thousand since around 2000 (with an outlier in 2001, because of one event). So school shootings in particular seem to be increasing (though they are never really a statistically significant contributor to death rates), but murders overall are not.
    • Death rate for homicide in the U.S. 1950-2018 | Statista

12. dobro1229

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True gun laws do have an effect but my point is that while Heller did state that there is a right to own firearms (something that the country tacitly acknowledged before Heller) it also says that firearms can still be regulated.

The failure of more meaningful firearm regulation isn't because of Heller but because of legislative politics.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They put Police officers through polygraph test via screening for hire. Same thing should be given to the public. That I would support. I am surprised it hasn't been put in place. These steps are taken to prevent an officer hurting the public.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There’s a lot of focus on the relationship between gun availability and homicide rates. The other big thing that gets overlooked is suicide rates. Gun availability greatly increases lethality of suicide attempts.

17. dobro1229

Didn't Heller basically say that all handguns cannot be denied access by US citizens as long as they aren't criminals or mentally ill? My beef with how Scalia and Roberts decided that case was entrenching a baseline of essentially unlimited access nationally for a certain type of weapon, and while they probably thought they were doing the right thing by saying well states or "legislatures" can regulate at their own discretion but not handguns. Which states and lower courts for those states took as free reign to go crazy justifying more loose gun laws. Basically its OUR DISCRECTION not the Federal Governments, and the Executive Branch really can't do anything about our own "legislature" writing the gun law restrictions how we want them in our state.

As Breyer wrote in his dissent it "knocked pieces off the table" in many ways. It actually took many tools of regulation off the table while at the same time seemingly solidifying regulatory power to "the legislature".. aka states.

I don't want to talk around in circles about Heller because I don't think this is going anywhere and besides the point. The point is, bullets didn't even exist when the 2nd amendment was written. So the Supreme Court stepping in since the 80's to be so definitive about gun constitutional rights is a mistake IMO and really the main role of the courts for the past 50 years in this should be to demand that Congress create real federal legislation to define sensible firearm laws because the 2nd Amendment does NOT do that because AR15's or even bullets didn't even exist when the framers drafted the Constitution. The 2nd Amendment should NOT be done away with because that could throw the baby out with the bathwater (aka National Guard etc.) but it is an irrelevant constitutional right for defining gun laws.

One thing we can all agree on though I'm sure is that the failure is really with Congress and specifically the Senate.... but the Senate is the body that is the most tied to the Supreme Court so the Senate shouldn't have waited for the courts to so definitively rule, and the Courts shouldn't have taken it upon themselves to interpret gaps in the Constitution based on their own opinions.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok, but that is an individual harming themselves not going into a school murdering kids for death by cop.

DD

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Repeal the 2nd. End of story.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You folks can discuss/debate this typing until your fingers fall off.

I’ll say this though. Nothing will change until people are less dumb and humans in general are more evolved. That goes for Saudi Arabia and how they treat women. Russia and what they are doing in 2022 to another country. This country and what this thread is about. Along with what the US has done to Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen etc the last 20 years.

People are still inherently violent. Want their money and power.