1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want at 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 17, 2022.

?

Who do you want at #3?

1. P. Banchero

334 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. J. Ivey

47 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. S, Sharpe

10 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other (Say in post)

23 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Trade for #1

30 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Top 3 all have their weakness. I like Chet, but concern on his frame. I like Jabari too, but afraid he can't create for himself and he's nothing but 3D guy. Paolo is the one I like the least, because of his defense. As you know defense win championship. Watching the playoff you know team are hunting and attack the player with the worst defense. Biggest question is which one of them will do a workout with the Rockets? Remember last year we can't get a one with Cade and Mobley. If Chet and Jabari think they will go 1st and 2nd, then why waste time workout for Rocket right? If there is no workout, I sure don't want to trade up for them without knowing more about them.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I totally agree with how you see the top 3 guys. Jabari probably has the lowest ceiling. And he may end up a 3&D guy--a super good 3&D. If we ever get to be a contender with this young core, he will probably be our third option on offense and our best defensive player. Chet has the highest ceiling but also has the highest risk. I'd take him over Paolo for sure. In other words, Jabari and Chet are 1a and 1b to me and Paolo is 2.

As for workout, I don't know how much stock we should put into that. Unless the guys specifically say that they don't want to be here (like Mobley last year), I am not sure how much a workout can add to what we know about them.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still take Chet first then Jabari.

But becoming more and more comfortable if Banchero is the pick due to Stone reassuring Rockets Nation that defense is his off season priority.

4. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Banchero + Tari Eason (we need to move up from 17th) and it'll be another A+ draft from us.

Mr.Scary, treyk3, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Winds are shifting?

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

It's not just workout. There is also interview. They can also do measurement. In the lottery interview you can clearly see Chet is taller than 7'1" Robinson. even if he's actually 7' without shoes and shrunk a bit with old age. You can still see Chet is true 7'. Paolo and Jabari both look at least 2 inches shorter than Chet. Paolo look wider but look a bit shorter than Jabari. I know standing reach and wingspans are more important than height since you don't play with your head. It just show you how trustworthy are the wingspan stat we see online for those 3.

Easy, cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I guess it's Paolo.

Edit: Oh he's talking about Rafael Barlowe not Rafael Stone.

ico4498 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still lots of time for anything to happen.

But I'm fine if it is Paolo.

As long as Rockets also pick up two more long 2 way players to backstop him.

groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

lol I thought he was talking about Stone, but it's actually Barlowe

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Barlowe had Paolo as #1 very early on, well before the tournament. Magic and Thunder should listen to Barlowe; wink wink. ;)

#530 TimDuncanDonaut, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  11. MystikArkitect

Stone basically said that. Workouts are moot. I think he said private workouts are like 1% of analysis and 99% of it is tape and research.

That being said, I still would take Paolo over Jabari. You don't draft guys with #3 or #2 ceilings when a guy is there with a #1 ceiling. Which Paolo has. He's a leader, a great passer, and an issue on offense.

It's such a strange draft because people consistently say that Paolo is their #1 prospect but they'd take Jabari and Chet over him. Absolutely the right draft for the Rockets to have the 3rd pick.

Easy, jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The real question is how do blocks correlate to winning?

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

These guys are 19 too.

There's no reason that Paolo cannot be an elite switchable defender with good coaching and buy in. There's no reason he cannot be better than Jabari on defense. He's a smarter player, he's more coordinated and he's just as long. He's not a freak but at +3 (if it's not even better) he's not a negative. 7-1 wingspan would be incredible if he were 6-8. I'll take the height combo with a less freakish # on page. He needs to cut weight likely and play more around 235 v 250 and we'll just be so happy with him within 2 years. Rockets are in good hands.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

But Jabari is already a hound on defense.

If Banchero can be net neutral or better defender over time (elite is asking a bit too much, baby steps) it stands to reason that Jabari who already has the mindset and effort can improve his IQ and technique as well.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Moving goal posts again. First its Chet's rim protection will not translate to NBA now it's so what, no relation to winning.

Don't you ever get tired of this?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Last week I attended the NBA Draft Combine, watched the scrimmages, checked out pro day workouts and talked to as many NBA scouts and executives as possible.

With all of that fresh intel, it’s time for new NBA mock draft.

Here are the first 30 picks as I see them shaping up four weeks before the June 23 NBA draft, including comments from NBA scouts on the top prospects:

Last week I attended the NBA Draft Combine, watched the scrimmages, checked out pro day workouts and talked to as many NBA scouts and executives as possible.

With all of that fresh intel, it’s time for new NBA mock draft.

Here are the first 30 picks as I see them shaping up four weeks before the June 23 NBA draft, including comments from NBA scouts on the top prospects:

1. Orlando Magic
    JABARI SMITH
    Auburn | Freshman | PF
    6’10” | 210 | Wingspan: 7’1”
    Age on draft night: 19.1

Most signs point toward Orlando taking Smith with the first pick. But I consider Chet Holmgren to be in the mix based on the track record of the Magic front office, known to value length and defense.

Smith would provide immediate help to a Magic team that ranked near the bottom of the league in 3-point shooting while also bringing defensive versatility.

One NBA scout's take:

This was a bad year for Orlando to win because they need wing depth and shooting, and the best players are bigs. But I think it’s being undersold [Smith] may be a borderline generational shooter at that size. I can see him as the 5 in closing lineups for a championship contender.

2. Oklahoma City Thunder
    CHET HOLMGREN
    Gonzaga | Freshman | PF/C
    7’0” | 195 | Wingspan: 7’6”
    Age on draft night: 20.1

The Thunder are stocked on the perimeter but need help inside. Despite his 7’0”, 195-lb frame, Holmgren can be a franchise-changing defensive anchor who would also provide shooting and offensive versatility.

One NBA scout's take:

I’m worried about his size because he’s best used as a pick-and-roll defender. Outside of his shot-blocking, his real value is how well he moves his feet to switch and guard in space. He’s special in that sense, but that means you have to play him at the 5. But I wouldn’t play him at the 5. If you play him at the 4, you get weak side shot-blocking, which is great, but you have to find a center to play next to him. He’s tough to build around on defense.

3. Houston Rockets
    PAOLO BANCHERO
    Duke | Freshman | PF/C
    6’10” | 250 | Wingspan: 7’0”
    Age on draft night: 19.6

I would take Banchero No. 1, but he’s unlikely to go ahead of Smith and Holmgren, according to the scouts with whom I’ve spoken.

So Houston gets — in my view — the best player in this draft, one whose career path should resemble that of another No. 3 overall pick from Duke, Jayson Tatum.

One NBA scout's take:

Banchero is probably going to win Rookie of the Year and be the best player in his first two seasons, but long term I think Smith, Holmgren and maybe even Ivey are better prospects.

4. Sacramento Kings
    JADEN IVEY

[...]

One NBA scout's take:

I think [Ivey] is Russell Westbrook Jr. — the way he plays, as far as his intensity and energy and how fast he plays. I think he needs to slow down and add a midrange jumper. I don’t think he’s a 1, but he can make basic reads and can knock down shots.

5. Detroit Pistons
    SHAEDON SHARPE

6. Indiana Pacers
    KEEGAN MURRAY

7. Portland Trail Blazers
    AJ GRIFFIN

8. New Orleans Pelicans (via Los Angeles Lakers)
    BENNEDICT MATHURIN

9. San Antonio Spurs
    JALEN DUREN

[...]

One NBA scout's take:

[The Spurs] need more athleticism at the front line, so they may try to go after Deandre Ayton this summer. But if they can’t get him, it makes sense to go after Duren with the ninth pick. It’s ironic he went to Memphis — he’s the new version of Joey Dorsey, but he’s bigger.

[​IMG]

10. Washington Wizards
    DYSON DANIELS

11. New York Knicks
    MARK WILLIAMS

12. Oklahoma City Thunder (via LA Clippers)
    JEREMY SOCHAN

13. Charlotte Hornets
    OUSMANE DIENG

14. Cleveland Cavaliers
    JOHNNY DAVIS

15. Charlotte Hornets (via New Orleans Pelicans)
    JALEN WILLIAMS

16. Atlanta Hawks
    BLAKE WESLEY

The Hawks are expected to reshape their roster after a disappointing season which began with high expectations following a run to the conference finals in 2021.

There are rumors Atlanta is interested in swapping Clint Capela for Deandre Ayton, and the Hawks also hope to add a star wing to partner with Trae Young.

There’s a strong possibility the Hawks move this pick in a package deal for a veteran slasher, reducing their overlap on the perimeter.

If the Hawks keep the pick, Wesley’s promise as an athletic shot creator and secondary playmaker would be welcome.

17. Houston Rockets
    TyTy WASHINGTON
    Kentucky | Freshman | PG
    6’2” | 196 | Wingspan: 6’8”
    Age on draft night: 20.6

Washington could be a steal for the Rockets given the tendency of Kentucky guards to outperform their draft position. He’s a steady playmaker who can run an offense and knock down open shots.

18. Chicago Bulls
    TARI EASON

19. Minnesota Timberwolves
    KENDALL BROWN

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors)
    NIKOLA JOVIĆ

21. Denver Nuggets
    JAKE LaRAVIA

22. Memphis Grizzlies (via Utah Jazz)
    MALAKI BRANHAM

23. Brooklyn Nets (via Philadelphia 76ers*)
    ISMAËL KAMAGATE

24. Milwaukee Bucks
    OCHAI AGBAJI

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Boston Celtics)
    E.J. LIDDELL

26. Dallas Mavericks
    CHRISTIAN KOLOKO

27. Miami Heat
    TERQUAVION SMITH

28. Golden State Warriors
    JEAN MONTERO

29. Memphis Grizzlies
    RYAN ROLLINS

30. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Phoenix Suns)
    JADEN HARDY

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wonder if he pulled all those factoids from 'chapulana' at Posting and Toasting... perhaps that's why there wasn't a link.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you want ceiling, Chet has the highest ceiling. If he wasn't a skinny stick, he would probably be hailed as the next Kevin Garnett or something like that.

Banchero has the highest offensive ceiling. The concern is his defense. And he may or may not improve on his 3pt shooting. I'll still be very happy taking him. Not trying to put down anyone who like Paolo. All three guys have strengths and weaknesses. But when I look at both overall value and fit, I feel that Jabari is probably the best for us in this draft.

D-rock and "Hail Hydra" like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is still the thing.

I doubt it is a foregone conclusion that his college game translates 1 to 1 to the league.

We assume and do this every year and some get better, more do not.

I also think that guys like DIrk, Duncan, Kobe, they are just going to be the players they are staying with 1 team for life.

Resume staying with one or two great organization is key.

I think the Rockets have a great history but from the ouside looking in, they are a middle of the pack organization which is estimated at 2-3 billions.

#539 daywalker02, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    D-rock, Easy and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - he is lying to let Paolo feel like he was there guy all along......typical GM spin.

And we aren't taking a guard at 17....

DD

D-rock likes this.