1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could any 18-year-old center that ever lived have fixed last year's defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 26, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is why a lot of folks don't take Sengun that seriously when people want to evaluate him to such a standard. When folks want to throw out superstar so loosely. That's just not a realistic outlook for anyone that is looking at this in totality and what's likely and what's not

napalm06 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Is a Jokic/Sabonis/Pau type upside not a star?
    Not saying he will reach that level but it’s a conceivable upside.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

He has to show a whole lot more for me to even entertain those names with Sengun

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is 19. He will show a whole lot more.

aaquaa, albuster, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Of course. But that’s the same with Green as well.
    It’s projection. @steddinotayto pulled up some numbers that put Sengun in rarified company.

aaquaa, albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't matter. it's a massive assumption to act like he's a superstar in the making. That projection accounts for only a handful of player in the actual league. Apparently the rockets have 2 then? Because Green looked a whole lot better than Sengun.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I saw those. advanced projected numbers like per 48 don't really do much for me when they don't actually apply to most players. We've seen time and time again those aren't actually nearly valid

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that’s where we will disagree. Green looked great at the end of the season. Their per36 numbers were pretty close.
    Different types of players but I can see both becoming stars.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe so. But still a pretty substantial list.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Sengun was the #16 pick in the draft last season.

I would trade him for a top 10 pick in this draft.

He is going to be marginalized if the Rockets end up with Banchero and the very top of this draft isn't as good as last year, but it is similar in the 8-15 range of this draft.

The Rockets would get a player with another year of control, and someone that is a better fit long term.

Tari Eason, Dyson Daniels, Jeremy Sochan, Ousmane Dieng and Mark Williams are all possibly better for the Rockets.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

My point of contention here is that it was numbers against 100 possessions and not per 48. I don't think using per 48 minute stats for anything is useful in 2022.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I will drive Sengun and his interpreter to the airport and buy them lunch if it means that the Rockets get Jaden Ivey to run the floor with Green and Banchero.

larsv8, xaos and YOLO like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i got what you were doing. It's interesting but at the same time the way the modern era game is played also needs to be accounted for. per 100 possessions now isn't the same as 100 for webber's era as an example. The ball isn't in Senguns hands like it is for Luka, jokic, etc. It's much easier to put up empty calories these days with the ball in someone's hands primarily

aaquaa and Nook like this.
  14. steddinotayto

Whose to say that Banchero and Sengun can't coexist? I think it's premature to predict that either player is going to be marginalized by the other. Sengun's proven to have a very high basketball IQ and if we are expecting Banchero to have the same, I don't see why it would be a hard thing for both players to play alongside one another. After the whole "Harden and Paul both need the ball and there's only one ball!" fears most have on here when we landed CP3 we can at least be open to the idea that Banchero/Sengun can coexist. Sure Chet and Jabari are better fit, on paper, with Sengun but still too early to call it.

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Star and superstar is different though. People get a little carried away when they project any rookie as a superstar.

Pau/Marc weren't superstars and Sabonis never will be. Jokic is borderline.

xaos, YOLO and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. That’s why I wouldn’t put superstar next to Green or Sengun.
    Gotta show more.

Neither had a Luka/Lebron type rookie season.

aaquaa, AroundTheWorld and napalm06 like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah well definitely disagree on Sengun having superstar potential. I don't see the upside in what hes shown thus far to even warrant that future label.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

The fact that Sengun can be that productive despite not getting starter minutes should mean a lot. Will Sengun be the next coming of Webber? Most likely not but he's still a talented player, both by the eyetest and also by doing stat comparisons.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair.
    I don’t see superstar in Green or Sengun…….yet.

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That's why we should double down on playing all the young guys this year, lose a ton of games and have a gauge on which young players to protect and which to trade. All the while having one more shot at a top five pick. :D

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.