1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could any 18-year-old center that ever lived have fixed last year's defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 26, 2022.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Sengun is damn nearly untouchable. It would take a top 5 pick plus before I’d even consider moving him. You have to remember his age. The dude is special and he’s only going to get better.

aaquaa, albuster, fattz and 2 others like this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Rochut

Rochut Member

Known by the company you keep:

Chris Webber
    Ben Simmons
    Lamar Odom
    Nikola Jokic
    Tom Gugliotta
    Blake Griffin
    Luka Doncic
    LaMelo Ball
    Alperen Sengun

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Personally I would trade Sengun for Ivey and want to see a dynamic backcourt of Green/Ivey. I don't think that's outrageous at all. It shouldn't be.

That would be extremely fun to watch and see how they would grow together in the modern era where you need multiple versatile guard play if you want to win

Nook likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

Fun fact about this list: Sengun is the only guy on this list that primarily came off the bench in his rookie season.

aaquaa, albuster, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

What were his stats compared 2 to other franchise rookies? Take your time

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Nobody is un-tradable. If a guy like Paolo who hasn't play one NBA game yet, is already making the org questioning to leave some of their good promising pieces, what does that say about his fit.

Defense
    KPJ - slightly below average
    Green - below average
    Gordon/Tate - above average <<- but it might be KJ next year - slightly below average.
    Wood replaced by Paolo - both below average
    Sengun - slightly below average.

It's odd to pick on Sengun when rest of the team is meh on defense themselves. It's as if we've have to get a superstar 5 to cover up everyone else. Even a Gobert couldn't do that for the Jazz.

I remember some of the games where it looked like only Sengun, Gordon and Tate were playing some semblance of defense.

9. steddinotayto

post 32 in this thread is a good start

D-rock likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We don’t actually know the organization is prioritizing Paolo over Alp. It’s fan projection

11. TimDuncanDonaut

Just based on some of the recent big boards out there. While it was a consensus 3, looks like it's heading towards a consensus 2 with Paolo being the leftover 3, but still a cut above Ivey/Sharpe. And Rockets might be forced to take him, unless Stone trade up/down.

As far as defense, the 'right way', and I think Silas is on board with this: Is for all the existing players to want to improve on defensive side of the ball.

And if Stone is drafting / trading for players, draft with defensive abilities also in mind.

albuster, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If it’s Paolo at 3 you run up to the podium. Make it work with him and Alp

albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sengun should be moved if necessary, but only to get an allstar level player/prospect in return. He's great but a little short for a starting center, and hasn't developed a reliable outside shot yet. Currently he projects as a 3rd big on a contender level team. That could all change and he could become an allstar as well, but I agree with Clutch that the only certain building blocks at this point are Green and this year's 3rd pick.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This years 3rd pick is an unknown.
    Shouldn’t be a building block until we see what he can do.
    Green is someone you don’t trade period. Sengun should be a cornerstone as well unless you’re absolutely knocked off your feet with an offer. You don’t move him for this years pick.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

18 year old Dikembe Mutombo obviously

sirjesse likes this.
  16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You may be right, we just have to keep the big picture in mind...winning a championship. A rotation of 7 or 8 guys in their early 20's historically has not been able to win a title. Young players eventually have to be packaged for vets to contend for a championship. I hope Sengun isn't one of those guys, but you have to give up young talent to get established talent to pair with Green/2022 pick.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d rather give up the pick than Alp. The pick hasn’t proved anything at all.

aaquaa, albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Current inabilities ....

He may improve in the future but that's a complete unknown.

What we know is that "Right Now" he's not a rim protector in any sense of the word and is in general , at best a middling defender and that's being generous.

I don't believe he's ever going to be that guy to anchor a defense. He's not long enough nor is he an explosive athlete.

If you are going to start Sengun as a 4/5 you really need the right player alongside him. That guy has to be a solid team defender & rim protector who's a good shooter from beyond the arc.

I wonder if Jabari might be that guy .... even if he is my 3rd choice among the top prospects (Chet > Paolo > Jabari IMO).

pippendagimp, Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He won’t be an elite rim protector but I think he can average close to two a game. Deflections, steals and hustle plays will be there, if he improves his conditioning and gets smarter positional awareness he can be a solid defender. I also think he protects more as a 4 in the league, if he develops a consistent 3 pt shot.
    Can he anchor a defense? Probably not. But he can be an above average defender.

As far as the current inabilities, he’s not an elite athlete in the mold of JJJ. But he is quick, coordinated, above average leaping.
    He needs to get his body in shape more to get his feet a little quicker and be more disciplined.

aaquaa, albuster and D-rock like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would not.

I am convinced Sengun will become a 20/10/4 player. He has superstar potential. People just forget how young he still is.