1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting by a gun carrying Texan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, May 24, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thoughts and prayers

Squirtle likes this.
  3. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Thanks my man. That helps LOL.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Tragic to lose both parents a day apart I feel for the 4 kids. Here is the tweet about a gofund me account

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Two things can simultaneously true.

Besides, many (if not most) Africans were tricked, not taken by force.

In both cases, in Africa and in the US, the bad guys had more guns.

Conversely, in Vietnam, in Afghanistan, and so far in Ukraine, having more guns wasn't the differentiator.

Guns don't solve problems, usually. Guns usually just get you to a result faster, for better or worse (and often worse).

subtomic and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just thinking if there is any event that could get the Republicans to do something about gun control. “Normal” mass shootings. Nope. Killing elementary school kids. Nope.

what is next? What if some deranged lunatic goes into a hospital ward and starts shooting newborns? Republicans will offer thoughts and prayers and nothing more.

deb4rockets and Squirtle like this.
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There's nothing in the Constitution about the current cloture rules. The modern cloture process was created in the 1970s. The founders have nothing to do with this. The founders imagined a system of checks and balances between the executive, the two houses and the judiciary.

Frankly until relatively recently, cloture wasn't really used all that often. So a gun control bill could get to the floor and have a normal vote. Since 2008, the Republicans started a process of invoking cloture on every vote. So how does that have anything to do with the founders?

And as for Trump having "full control" of everything, sure they might've passed some bad things but the flip side is that the current Congress could pass lots of legislation as well. This all works both ways. Only the US has this dumb system where a near supermajority is required to pass legislation in one of the houses because the Republicans decided to abuse the cloture rules.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what cloture has to do with any of this.

No it does not all work both ways, there is no guarantee congress changes hands and on party can start passing laws to make sure it gets harder and harder to get them out of power.

This dumb system has worked pretty well over 200 years until Republicans started playing a zero sum game and ignoring all precedents and good faith.

You are really looking at this from a surface level.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Good god that is just awful. What do you even say to some be like this?

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A great post by a teacher (stolen from a friend's FB post)...

subtomic, LFE171, durvasa and 5 others like this.
  11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I doubt it. Guns are not their ultimate goal. The ultimate goal is to cease control of the Federal government and remake it in their image, namely one of white supremacy. Guns are simply a tool, both literally and figuratively.

If you look at the Republican set of principles, it changes over the years and decades. For example, Republicans supported abortion back in the 70s. There are only two principles that have remained consistent over the past 250 years, white supremacy and limited federal government. And it's easy to argue that limited federal government enables their sense of white supremacy. Said another way, it's hard to separate those two principles. A sub-bullet of the limited federal government principle is the sense of "don't tread on me" or what's mine is mine. (That is until I've lost mine, only then does the word fairness come back into play.)

Democrats root principle is "all men are created equal" and otherwise everybody deserves a fair shot.

/tangent

Squirtle likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

From what I've heard about the police response... it's unbelievable. Horrifically, inexcusably bad.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heart wrenching. What these families all go through is heart wrenching. I am still without words to think how utterly heartless anyone must be to even think about going to that NRA convention after this. Those heartless greedy men who
    What hasn't been well thought out is the stupid ass NRA money loving stupid ass laws in this state. Why in the hell does anyone have the right to purchase a gun 3 years before being deemed old enough to drink a can of beer? Why is anyone able to purchase an an AR-15 without proof of knowing how to use it properly? Why is their no mandatory training, licensing, and insurance requirements? Why can anyone legally shoot a gun while drinking? The list goes on and on and on and on.

I will never agree with you and your heartless, greedy NRA money Republicans. Never! It takes hearts of stone for Trump, Abbott, and Cruz to attend that NRA convention this weekend. They have no decency, no remorse. or care for anyone but themselves and their power. They all disgust me beyond words.

#494 deb4rockets, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I can't even imagine the grief those kids and family members are going through. So heartbreaking.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cars

You have to have a license
    Some training/pass a proficiency test
    Have car insurance.
    You use them in improper ways you get fined or imprisoned.

Yea...can we treat guns like that??

Rocket River
    Did you know if you lend someone your car or even if your car is stolen. You might still be liable in some cases.

MexAmercnMoose and AleksandarN like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly to god..... there are people alive today because someone left their gun at home
    And it was too much trouble to go get it

Rocket River

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the dumb system resulted in a civil war not 100 years from starting and basically a second "shadow" system for blacks after it for 100 years, and even then it didn't work that well. Now it's basically totally broken and you get openly malignant actors like Trumpr were even the "respectiable" ones end up reinforces pro-school shooting policies in the courts and in the legislatures.

The system is broken, counterfactuals about "what if it was worse" don't hold much weight when things are this bad.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ThatBoyNick likes this.