1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting by a gun carrying Texan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, May 24, 2022.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Really the anti government 2nd amendment individuals are more of a threat to US citizens than the perceived threat of tyranny of the government. While most other industrial countries don’t have that problem. They don’t feel the need to bare arms why is that?

2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Squirtle likes this.
  3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I find it hard to stomach Manchin's statement on this. Manchin was the main sponsor of the previous universal background check bill that they attempted to pass after Sandy Hook. And sure enough, that bill also failed due to the filibuster (and Democrats had 53 Senators at that time).

For him to suggest that he'd hope there was common sense to pass this is ludicrous. He saw his own bill fail in 2012. So why would it work this time when there are fewer Democrats in the Senate.

And as for the filibuster, you still have separation powers that creates its own filibuster effect. If the opposite party controls a house of congress or the presidency, bills still don't pass. The idea that a party can control the executive and legislative branch but can't pass legislation is absurd. And yes, that means Republicans get to pass what they want if they got control but so be it. I'd rather have a functioning government that can pass bills rather than the Senate we have now.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Ah, the defeatist argument. It's too hard so why bother? That's the spirit of America, huh?

"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down this wall ...but only if you have enough energy"
    "The only thing to fear, is fear itself ...unelss it's really scary then run like hell"
    "We chose to go to the moon, not because it's easy, but because it's hard ...unless somebody objects and then we'll postpone it"

Genocide is closely correlated with fascism. But we can skim over that fact, if you like.

How did an armed populace help slaves in the American south escape unjust laws?

In nearly every instance of a mass shooting, it's always the police responding in force to stop the criminal. Rarely does an individual stop such a crime. In fact, in Buffalo, an armed ex-police officer opened fire and himself was injured. If a maniac is on the loose, they are, by definition, irrational and impervious to risk, so you individually have very little chance if your goal is to stay alive or protect. The criminal has no such motivation so your odds are very bad. Almost always, your best option is to evade and escape then let the SWAT team do their job.

Anway, not gonna get into a back/forth with you as I know you love to do. Enjoy your disagreement with me and carry on.[/QUOTE]

5. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

393 million guns is mind boggling and 98% of them are in the hands of civilians. This is absurd.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

These cops are incompetent: ugh what could have been avoided

Andre0087 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who hurt you man?

You throw your jab at women every chance you get, how the **** are you equating manipulation through lies the same as ****ing shooting somebody?

If you got, got by a woman through manipulation and lies thats a reflection on you as much as the woman, just because you got your nose wide open and somebody hurt you does not mean all women are the same.

The crazy part is you think woman are the only ones who manipulate and lie, why men the ones who pimp women out and are more likely to have several baby mommas and string women along?

I mean really who hurt you?

subtomic, ROCKSS, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But he did it anyway and had the judges basically not stop him, or just as bad, guys like Sam Alito get to write their own preferences as law from the bench.

Of the 3 branches, the Judges are the biggest beneficiary of legislative inaction. They can do what they want and nobody can stop them. And... they have and they are.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Wrong analogy. Better analogy is that the people in Africa who became slaves would have had a far better chance of avoiding that horrible fate if they were armed.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's ludicrous that you can buy a semi-automatic weapon 3 years before you are deemed old enough to buy a pack of cigs or a beer. Add in, without any proof of even knowing how to use one and it's horrifying!!!

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

****. Same goes for the Native Americans.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Exactly. The United States is unconquerable because any invading force would have to contend with 400 million guns distributed across the country.

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.”
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’m sure a lot is going to come out about what law enforcement did that day and what they didn’t do that day. Too early for me to comment on their performance right now.

But, I will say this. If I’m a law officer and I know there is a gunman in an elementary school firing shots. I’m going to run into that building and try to stop the massacre. When a person signs up to be a law officer you know you may have to put your life on the line to save others.

I’ll be interested to know if any officers failed to engage the suspect because they may have felt that the shooter had superior fire power. Just another reason why assault weapons shouldn’t be made available to just anyone.

ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the present time that has almost zero to do with why the United States is unconquerable. Save the "Wolverines!" battlecry for later.

Squirtle and Xerobull like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not absurd, it's the way the founders wanted it, checks and balances.

Just think what would have happened if Trump had full control of everything?

Since when is voting for common sense ludicrous?

Do you want a functioning government that would roll back most of are hard fought changes to be functioning just because of function?

What happens to abortion rights or civil rights?

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Because that stupid gun logic Republicans tout is false. Ask Australians and any other country that is smart enough to see that it's a mad mad world when 400 million guns are in the hands of civilians.

Women and children are much safer in a home where Daddy isn't packing. That's the honest truth!!!!

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How about free blacks after the Civil War who had a constitutional right to guns but were nevertheless systematically persecuted through the law and extrajudicial killings?

18. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Try to answer that question when you disarm everyone except criminals - which is what would happen if the far left got their way. Then that family without a gun becomes a sitting duck for crime.

I'm also very surprised that the same liberals who hate the police are the ones who want to disarm everyone EXCEPT the police. Curious. This clearly hasn't been well thought out by the left.

19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Poor logic. Would you argue they would be more empowered WITHOUT guns?

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Take your liberal bashing BS to some Republican who will believe it. I'm smart enough to know better.

In the past decade, 40% of the suicides committed by kids and teens involved guns. Nine out of 10 of these suicides were with guns that the victims accessed at their own homes or from a relative's home.

In homes with guns, the likelihood of accidental death by shooting is four times higher.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Handguns-in-the-Home.aspx

Nearly half of all women murdered in the United States are killed by a current or former intimate partner, and more than half of these intimate partner homicides are by firearm.

Nearly 92% of all women killed by guns in high-income countries were American women, and American women are 21 times more likely to be shot and killed than women in other high-income countries.

https://efsgv.org/learn/type-of-gun-violence/domestic-violence-and-firearms/

I say again, Women and Children are safer in a home when Daddy doesn't own a gun!