1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting by a gun carrying Texan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, May 24, 2022.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

I’m not arguing with stats here. Canada for example have 1/4 of USA guns, but does it have 1/4 of mass shootings per capita? Hell I don’t think Iraq has as many mass shootings lol. End of the day controlling guns will solve part of the problem, but education, culture and parenting is the key issues here imo

JumpMan and Yung-T like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Literally none of that matters in most school mass shootings we've seen.

Also, feel free to look up the USA: 288 shootings, next country: 8 graph that was posted here. Even the most violent, degenerate, anarchist and full of terrorists countries have 40x less school shootings than the US.

You're making up so many bad excuses it isn't funny.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, the gun ownership:shootings ratio is completely disproportionate for the US, you can't just look at the amount of guns or citizens.

You obviously need to ban most guns and have way stricter ownership requirements, but it's blatantly obvious that something went very wrong in modern US history to turn so many people into lunatics.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Absolutely heartbreaking.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have children and at this point in my life I most likely never will. It's not because I don't like children but for a variety of reasons that things haven't worked out for me to have kids.

Seeing this though makes me feel perhaps I might be fortunate I don't. I truly can't imagine the pain of the loss of a child like this. If I had kids, this week I might not let them leave the house and would be packing to leave this country.

Squirtle likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also I would say vast majority of gun deaths in this country come from the effects of massive wealth inequality and the war on drugs.

If politicians want to sincerely reduce gun deaths in this country those issues should be priority number one over firearm legislation.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These problem actually have a common root problem.

That is that the rich and corporations have incredible power over politicians, and thus work to reduce their obligations and push gov't to ensure the laws are passed to maximize profits.

That puts the squeeze on people across the spectrum. The hospital system maximizes the compensation administrators receive thus resulting in paying crazy sums of money for anything at a hospital. The pharma industry lobbies so it can charge insane amounts for drugs that have been around for decades and cost pennies to make. The gun industry wants to maximize profits and thus puts maximum pressure on lawmakers not to enact anything at all that might hurt sales, regardless of how many lives it would save. The gun industry is happy to sacrifice the lives of 100,000 children if it means they can make 1% more in sales.

That is the problem.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably because not a lot of countries have over 400 million of those guns. Believe me, there are crazies and disturbed violent people in that mix.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you add millions more guns you are bound to have a huge difference in those shootings. The chances of some nut job in there multiply like crazy.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, I think that's always been the main issue. It's way too easy for lunatics to get guns. This guy turned 18 and easily bought his guns. IF he never had these guns this obviously never happens. If there was a waiting list, if he had to pass an exam, etc etc maybe this never happens. Maybe he turns his lunacy elsewhere...

Instead, we let crazy people buy weapons that are able to efficiently kill as many people as possible.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We grieve for the families and friends who lost loved ones in Uvalde. It's an unspeakable tragedy.

Several points to consider when emotions cool off:
    1. Confiscating 400 million guns in the United States is not feasible and will lead to killing
    2. Anyone who truly understands history knows that governments kill more vastly more people than individuals. Disarming the populace means that only the government has guns. This is how actual genocide happens -- as history has proven time and again.
    3. An armed populace provides the ultimate check and balance on government power and the enforcement of unjust laws. This is why the founders included the right to keep and bear arms as the second amendment. This right, in combination with freedom of speech, are what separate our country from all others in terms of preserving individual rights and freedoms.
    4. Guns are essential in protecting citizens from violent criminals. We all saw the BLM riots of 2020 -- no one would have entertained a discussion on restricting gun ownership at that time. Concerns over safety were paramount. They remain so.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been busy- is there any truth to the whole 'Cops were chicken/didn't do their job' angle the news is pushing?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Coward ass Police that would don’t give a **** about anyone but themselves.

You wanna know why I have ARs? Because when the **** hits the fan Police aren’t there to protect citizens. They are there to go to work and collect a check just like everyone else.

cheke64 likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

First of all there are more guns than citizens in this country which is mind blowing.

But yes we do have a cultural problem. Our strength of rugged individualism is also our weakness. We have created a culture of **** everyone I am going to get mine selfishness. There is little to no concern for a social contract that we all abide by so that everyone benefits. No one wants to sacrifice for the greater good.

Quick story: Working as a CPS case manager I was trying to place a child with his uncle and aunt. They had no kids and were highly educated and affluent. Perfect situation. Wife was a Vet and her concern was that this child might mistreat her dogs. Uncle was blood relative and was sympathetic but wife won and they refused to take his nephew in. Child went to foster care. I quit CPS many years ago and now work for the County and see daily what happens when children age out of foster care and are basically kicked to the curb. A lot of them turn to crime and end up in prison.

There is no honor in the US. No willingness to step up and sacrifice to help others. We are reaping what we sow as a nation.

sw847 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind drug testing for citizens purchasing firearms.

ROCKSS and deb4rockets like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Im all for this but only if DUIs disqualify buyers as well

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I actually agree with him here, there should be enough common sense to pass something without the filibuster, and it would be total insanity without it.

Can you imagine what Trump or somebody like him could do without a filibuster?

There is a reason there are brakes on a car.

20. MexAmercnMoose

slightly off topic, but not really....any of yall seen "Old Enough" on Netflix? wish our kids could do that here