1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trump isn't a dictator. If it's illegal to sub in an elector, then an elector is not going to get subbed in. An elector did not get subbed in, no?
    Its not illegal to make an attempt.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

@Space Ghost > @B-Bob
    [​IMG]

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which makes him willing to do illegal crap to stay in power. It was more than just dirty tricks. He tried to steal the election which would have been illegal. Just because he was unsuccessful at committing crimes doesn't mean he would stop at just dirty tricks.

deb4rockets and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

As long as it's not a Trumpster that replaces them....

T_Man

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that’s all that’s in the GOP.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He encouraged people to break the law to keep him President, and he took revenge on people who did not work to change the results of the election.

Yes, he is a wannabe dictator.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Voted in the Republican primary runoff to help root out Paxton and Wayne Christian, but it was not to be.

Sideshow Bob : I am presently incarcerated, imprisoned for a crime I did not even commit. "Attempted murder," now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"

Not illegal, but contemptible.

8. Major

Major Member

Interesting. So does this apply to other crimes too? If I attempt to murder someone but fail, it's legal? If I attempt to scam someone but fail, I'm in the clear? The logic pretzels needed to justify your position are fun. Treason = bad. Attempted treason = no biggie.

9. Space Ghost

Is attempt murder illegal? Is the attempt to defraud someone illegal? You can do better than this Major.

But sure, continue to take the quote out of context. Its the cool thing to do now. It is not illegal to attempt to use the legal system to get your way.

Any other myopic rabbit holes we should go down?

10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

You got owned son.

jiggyfly and DonnyMost like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Headed back to this quote so you won't be mis-contextualized. This seems like the kernel of your argument, that Trump did and should do whatever legal thing he can to win the election and that the legality is the thing that makes it a very different thing from overthrowing the government. I think you might have your lawyer hat on too often, and that you myopically regard things you can do legally as the totality of what you should do politically.

The first thing I'd point out is that some of the dirty tricks Trump resorted to were in a gray legal area. He's not only employing standard playbook October Surprises or recounts. He knowingly would tell lies to manipulate the public, would encroach on the powers of other elected officials to make choices, he would wield his power to help or hurt others' careers to extract cooperation or else use that power to replace those officials with more cooperative ones, he would incite some in the public to violence or to cause fear of violence, he would promote insincere and dubious interpretations of the Constitution and statute, and he would hide behind the powers of the office and his own electoral base to protect him from accountability. To which your argument would be that they'd be tested in court and he'd abide by the outcome if they failed. But our political system isn't algorithmic like the legal system that can simply process the rules to their logical outcomes; it makes the rules. We rely on politicians to observe some norms and to have some moral boundaries they won't cross in order to preserve the republic from existential crisis. This is a system that will break if you push it too hard.

The second thing I'd point out is that other government overthrows have occurred using every legal trick. Most famously, Hitler (after a failed illegal putsch) was legally appointed chancellor from which he made further legal moves that culminated in the termination of democracy in Germany. Mussolini used a similar path. The establishment of the PRI in Mexico probably counts. Like Trump tried to do, these other leaders used legal and sometimes gray-area means to get a seat of limited power, and then used that power to change the rules and change the allegiances of the other seats of power in order to legally expand what they were allowed to do. They broke the democratic systems they used to get into leadership in the first place.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

edit

#432 MojoMan, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's like saying it isn't illegal to plot to have a coup if the coup didn't succeed. It's only illegal if the coup was successful and you can't do anything about it. But if it failed, well, it was stopped so therefore it's not illegal.

Spurious logic my friend.

Usually the attempt to do something that is illegal, is illegal itself. If it's illegal to sub and elector, than trying to sub an elector knowing it is illegal, sounds like a crime to me.

15. Space Ghost

Thanks for taking my quote out of context like the others. Very mainstream media of you. Please refer to the original quote, which was referring to the legal attempt through the courts.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

With all due respect, there is no context in even your previous posts that you were speaking just about actions taken within the court system.

Overall, I can only say this, it seems there is an overall effort to subvert democracy here, by putting in restrictive voting laws meant to discourage voting by people who will vote one way, and by appointing loyalists to positions in the election system that should be non-partisan. The Republicans are learning from their failed attempt and are driven to use their power to win elections through any means possible.

You may see that as legal, but that doesn't free it from being subversive.

17. Space Ghost

My understanding is that Trump attempted to use the court system. I very well could be wrong. I dont follow the clown show antics that are Trump and everything that gets swept in his drama.

My point stands. If someone uses the court system and succeeds, then it is legal. You can't simply deem things illegal that a court of law has deemed legal simply because you disagree. If you disagree with the outcome, then put forth the effort to put the right candidate in power to over turn those laws. Its called a representative democracy.

The single biggest reason why I can never vote for Trump is his constant chaotic antics and more importantly, all the idiocy that follows behind it. More damage has been done through those trigger by Trump, on both sides, than Trump could ever accomplish. The bad news is I expect this to get worse.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Republicans are probably going to dominate this election cycle with the current economic state. Really a joint cause as to why its happening but that is how things work.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#439 Os Trigonum, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Money over lives! Save a buck, lose a child. Keep those guns a firing! Mass shootings daily is the price you pay for freedom. Get your gay kid book outta my school. The Republican way!