1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woke corporate virtue signaling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 24, 2022.

1. dmoneybangbang

But the real issue is that @AroundTheWorld doesn't like their woke-ism, not that corporations are doing what they always do to maximize profit and build brands.

2. dmoneybangbang

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@AroundTheWorld
    So will Disney just make a mouse doll and the woke parents can just tell their kids it’s both Minnie and Mickey ?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rainbow capitalism is just marketing. If you thought it was supposed to be a genuine reflection of their values, I have a bridge to sell you. Where rainbow capitalism intersects with company values in a meaningful way though is in their relationship with employees. If I was a gay employee of Mercedes and they were telling me they value diversity and want me to bring my whole self to work-- unless I'm in the Middle East office of course -- then I'll see the lie. My morale would be depressed. I might give that feedback to management that they're full of ****, unless of course I was too disaffected to even tell them. But, for customers, you should just assume they're all full of it.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Are some people just now learning these companies will seek profits as their motivation and their marking campaigns are nothing more than a commercial? I always thought that was a known ugly side of capitalism. If it was socially acceptable to go around lynching people you really believe Nike wouldn't have its own branded ropes?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I remember taking a field trip to the Toyota center, it was a number of middle schools, it was an Exxon PR thing we're they were telling us how great they are for the world and how excited they are for us to grow up and work for them. Scandalous field trip, only + was Clutch was there

Tomstro and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’d describe it more as competing values than hypocrisy. They may sincerely support LGBT rights and also want to make money by expanding into Middle Eastern markets.

If a US company supports women's right to choose and they aren't boycotting red state that bans abortion, is that also hypocrisy?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's all shades of grey, but I think it's a bit unfair to expect a company to boycott an entire market (something that could endanger its own existence) over a political issue.

A lot of depends on what action the company is taking in its "support" of this issue.

If Company A spends all day running its mouth about abortion rights and claims it would never do business in a state that doesn't support that, and then turns around and sells its widgets in Alabama, I think that's hypocrisy.

The selective/regionalized support for Pride isn't quite that level of hypocrisy as much as it is hollow and disingenuous IMO.

AroundTheWorld and durvasa like this.
  10. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Corporations are soulless. Most don't give two ***** about anything but the bottom line. They pollute the environment, don't pay taxes, don't pay living wages, bust unions, employ child labor overseas, get people hooked on drugs, etc, etc, etc. It's virtue signalling.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And nobody loves being pandered to more than the left.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

great post

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

how do you know?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Elon Musk, Joe Rogan, and Tulsi Gabbard disagree with you.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

good for them.

but we were tallking about corporate america. Try to stay with the topic.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You don't think Elon Musk and Joe Rogan reflect corporate interests?

I give you a hint, they do what they do for money.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

like I said. Stay on topic. Joe rogan has a podcast. And are you saying that these people should pander to the left? Would that make you feel better? Stay on topic.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The Joe Rogan Experience is owned by a corporation likely called, "The Joe Rogan Experience, inc" in which Joe Rogan owns most or all the shares. Do you understand how this all works?

If that's too hard for ya, here are other corporations that pander to the right.

Chick-fil-A
    Domino's Pizza
    Hobby Lobby

Ultimately it seems you are upset that companies are doing what are in their best interests instead of doing what you want them to do. Sorry that must be very frustrating for you.

DaDakota likes this.