1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it has to be that about 5% of Americans die of gun violence each year - something so ridiculously high it threatens the fabric of society. Only then will you see action. More than likely, the NRA rightwingers would rather see revolution and kill every liberal before getting rid of guns.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Specifically which one did you check? How many incidents in total?

There has been studies by proponents and opponents of gun legislation on the matter. Naturally there are opposing viewpoints. Studies like this one https://www.latimes.com/projects/if-gun-laws-were-enacted/ claims legislation would've potentially stopped the majority of the 167 cases they looked at. Others disagree. IMO without actually trying the solution like Australia did in 1996, it's hard to really know how effective they would be

Again you seem very adamant that there is only one way to stop mass shooting and that the many gun control legislation proposed in the past are "weak half measures". And again I wonder where such expertise, confidence and absolute belief comes from. Did you study how Australia changed their gun laws after 1996 and how it was very effective but notice some key differences with the USA that the same changes would be ineffective? Furthermore is there a realistic path to "getting rid of guns/repealing the second amendment, when the vast majority of Americans believe in the 2nd amendment.

jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

There are solutions to pretty much solve all mass shootings. Many countries have no or very rare mass shootings.

The suggestions the Democrats are currently proposing will do little to nothing to prevent mass shootings.

The GOP isn't proposing anything to materially alter the landscape but neither are the Democrats. What they are asking for is tepid and weak and likely won't save many, if any lives.

We're gonna be sitting here every 3 months talking about another mass shooting until the end of time but hey, at least the Democrats closed the gun show loop hole! I'm sure that will comfort a lot of victims in the future.

4. HTM

HTM Member

I've already posted it. It's here somewhere, if you're interested you can go find it. It was like 10 of the bigger ones. Santa Fe HS, Sandy Hook, El Paso, Buffalo, Stoneman Douglas HS, Las Vegas amongst others.

The fundamentals don't change with these half measures. People whether they are 18 or 21, by and large, will be passing background checks and will be able to still go into stores in America and buy at a minimum, semi-automatic hand guns and enter places and begin killing people.

Can certain restrictions "help" - maybe, maybe marginally, maybe it reduces the amount of casualties per year a certain %. Is that good? Yes. I'd be happy to see it but, this country is awash with 450 million guns and a 2nd amendment that is going to enable people to keep purchasing more and more guns.

To actually fight this issue Democrats are going to have to go a lot harder then the modest proposals before the legislature currently.

People will be passing their background checks, buying their weapons capable of killing large amounts of people in small amounts of time and we will be seeing mass shooting after mass shooting continue on and on. We're going to be in this same thread doing this same song and dance every 3 months from now until eternity unless something extreme happens with regards to the U.S. and its gun culture and Democrats aren't pushing for that.

I'd like something like they did in Australia, I'd like to repeal the 2nd amendment, I'd like to live in a gun free society. The GOP rightfully gets schtick for it but I'm different in that I say Democrats aren't doing enough either and for that, on a massively left leaning board, you'll get a ton of push back. So I'm engaged incessantly about it. Democrats need to advocate for more. Any major Democratic figures proposing Australian style legislation? Any major Democratic figures calling for the repeal of the 2nd amendment? A fringe one here or there? That's what its going to take to bring about the major change we desperately need.

The fundamentals aren't changing with these measures, it's ok to admit that. People need to push for more. The half measures, while nice, are modest and there's no good reason to believe they will bring the fundamental change we need.

5. HTM

HTM Member

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a19604852/democrats-repeal-second-amendment/

No major politicians (as of 2018), including Democrats, advocate for the repeal of the 2nd amendment but its common sense that is what its going to take.

Justice John Paul Stevens, who called for repeal in a New York Times op-ed Tuesday:

That support is a clear sign to lawmakers to enact legislation prohibiting civilian ownership of semiautomatic weapons, increasing the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21 years old, and establishing more comprehensive background checks on all purchasers of firearms. But the demonstrators should seek more effective and more lasting reform. They should demand a repeal of the Second Amendment.

This echoed the Times' conservative columnist Bret Stephens after the Las Vegas massacre in October:

In fact, the more closely one looks at what passes for “common sense” gun laws, the more feckless they appear. Americans who claim to be outraged by gun crimes should want to do something more than tinker at the margins of a legal regime that most of the developed world rightly considers nuts. They should want to change it fundamentally and permanently.There is only one way to do this: Repeal the Second Amendment.

This was even floated by Karl Rove, the Republican operative who masterminded George W. Bush's campaigns, after the massacre at Mother Emanuel church in Charleston:

Now maybe there’s some magic law that will keep us from having more of these. I mean basically the only way to guarantee that we will dramatically reduce acts of violence involving guns is to basically remove guns from society, and until somebody gets enough “oomph” to repeal the Second Amendment, that’s not going to happen.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So there is an ideal where the 2nd amendment is repealed or replaced. That isn't realistic.

But because that isn't happening doesn't mean that we should do nothing. There are several measures that would help.

7. Major

Major Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

when they didn't do anything after sandy hook I lost all hope for them to do anything in the future.

its bleak out there. no help on the horizon.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1669 Deckard, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Australia didn't repeal the right to own guns, nor were their reforms an effort to rid their society of guns. The 1996 national firearm legislation did 3 key things: ban the ownership/sale/importation of all self loading rifles. Required licenses and registration for gun ownership. Buyback program for guns. As well as other smaller requirements. https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/essays/1996-national-firearms-agreement.html

The idea of repealing the 2nd amendment or getting rid of guns in America is a pipe dream and a fantasy. When the politicians cant even passed legislation to ban fully automatic AR weapons or even get background checks how are they going to pass a law to get rid of guns. It's like wanting to buy a house without first being able to even afford rent.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

#1671 HTM, May 26, 2022
  12. HTM

HTM Member

Australia required that those who sought to purchase a firearm prove they have a need for the firearm beyond "self protection." That is an absolutely massive component and a huge restriction on anyone's ability to purchase a firearm.

So while this doesn't, "repeal the right to own guns" - it for all intents and purposes precludes people from purchasing guns in all but the most exceptional circumstances, like you find in most other countries.

https://www.guncontrolaustralia.org/how_do_you_obtain_a_firearm

#1672 HTM, May 26, 2022
  13. HTM

HTM Member

I support measures that will help.

That doesn't mean I don't recognize they are half measures that won't help much.

We're still going to be in here having the same talks every three months even if we do pass any number of half measures Democrats are proposing.

To rid ourselves of gun violence or make a significant impact, we're going to have to go a lot bigger then what Democrats are currently proposing. Blood is on their hands as well if they don't go harder. That's what I'm saying.

You seen any Democrats propose anything like what we saw in Australia?

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Did you actually read the link you provided? It doesn't preclude people from purchasing guns in all but the most exceptional circumstances. Valid Reasons to own a gun includes:
    • must be over the age of 18 for a firearm licence. But can apply for firearm minor permit if under 18 years.
    (1) identify your 'genuine reason' for wanting a gun licence: sport/target shooting, recreational hunting, primary production, pest control, business or employment, rural occupation, animal welfare, firearm collector.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So about two thousand times what it is now. If 1 in 20 people were murdered every year, you probably wouldn't have a functioning government that was passing gun control laws, you would have something more violent than The Purge.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say it again. We can have a debate on firearm control measures and I will have that debate but honestly I don't think things will change because beyond mental health, the NRA or any other political group this is a cultural problem.

As long as a culture we continue to believe in rights without responsibility these things will continue to happen.

And this isn't the only issue where this is a problem.

Manny Ramirez and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Republicans would probably express more outrage if a mass shooting happened at an NFL game rather than it happening at schools…we know they don’t give a damn about kids

“pro life” my ass

they don’t give a damn about church shootings either but they’re the God-fearing bible thumping people

peleincubus likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If I were a parent I would want the pictures released. Sandy hook and this school as well release all the pictures. This out of sight out of mind is bs and people forget in a day or two.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With all due respect I have to push back a little bit here. The New Zealand mass shooter is a good example of a this being a global cultural issue. There are no borders for culture in 2022 because of social media, and a globalized mental state. A teen from New Zealand or South Africa or Russia or wherever is able to read the same reddit thread or 4chan post, and absorb and react the same way.

What's different about the USA is one thing and one thing only. All of these countries have the internet, they have mental illness, they have teen angst, they have 4chan, they have violent video games, they have parental abuse, they have p*rn, they have hate, etc. etc. etc. and they ALL have some level of corrupt politicians.

But yes we do have a violent history here in the US for sure. The book and film No Country for Old Men really does a great job of striking at the heart of American violence, and the "American Dream." So yeah I get it about our culture. It's well documented that this is a BRUTAL country built on blood starting from what they did to native Americans to Slavery in the south, to what we are seeing in today's accepted gun violence. I get that we have a brutal relationship with violence, but still... ALOT of other countries do too, and we are STILL unique in mass shootings.

Sometimes we just need to call out what is obvious man. In this case it's just too freaking obvious. Will it change everything about the violence in America???... hell no... but it still will save lives which is worth it to me.

(I just hugged my 7 year old going to school for her last day of school this year so sorry about the rant but yeah....)

peleincubus likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You want to see someone get political about a mass shooting... just see the GOP reaction to a mass shooting at a NASCAR race from a shooter who posted on Facebook that he was a proud member of Antifa.