1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could any 18-year-old center that ever lived have fixed last year's defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, May 26, 2022.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course not...

Give the teenager some time, he might be a defensive anchor yet. Life as a big man is tough when you are playing with scrubs and other teenagers that are learning on the job.

#DrippedToday...

(Insider Access)
    Triggering point = @Clutch adding Alperen to half his damn trade proposals. Just yuck dude. I hope you feel as dirty writing that as I do reading it. :p

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trading Sengun at this point is ridiculous, short of an overpay/ massive haul.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For a top 10 pick, anybody (except Jalen) can get got.

Fulgore likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Trading Sengun would be dumb. He’s a cornerstone

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Refusing to acknowledge or just straight up ignoring Sengun's obvious inabilities in certain areas could end up hurting the Rockets in the long run. If some team has a mega hard on for him thinking he's more special than he obviously is it might be worth capitalizing on it depending on what's offered. If Vivek thought the kid was the next Jokic like he was so sure about Buddy being Curry, do you really say no to a package centered around Sengun for the 4th? Take it and run. Getting emotionally attached to mid talent like Chandler Parsons hoping he's Gordon Hayward is how rebuilds get messy.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Perceived inabilities, by some.
    He’s not close to a finished product

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Being a somewhat vertically challenged 6'9 center that is objectively slow laterally is not a perceived inability. Sengun is never going to wake up with the athleticism of other successful 6'9 centers like Bam and Time Lord

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not giving up Sengun for a top 10 pick. He was basically rated as a top 10 prospect last draft and has outperformed his draft selection.

aaquaa, AroundTheWorld, basso and 3 others like this.
  9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am not sure what this post is about. This is not a binary question. There is not just a yes or no answer. An easier question would be: was he part of the problem or part of the solution? But that wouldn’t do it justice as well - so how about did we see things that give us optimism that he can improve? By how much?

overall, personally I don’t believe he will turn into a plus defender. But that doesn’t mean he won’t be a plus player overall. He has a lot of strength so turning his defense into not a problem, is probably good enough.

aaquaa, D-rock, theDude and 2 others like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is neither slow laterally or weak vertically.
    Short area burst is solid.
    Average to above average in both areas for a 6’10 player with a 7’1 wingspan.
    Strength and discipline will be the keys to him being a solid defender. He is miles above Chuck Hayes athletically, he can be that type of defender.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sengun looks cheeks defensively

napalm06, hakeemthagreat and Fulgore like this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would give 18 year old LeBron James a shot.

randerson, Fulgore and Nook like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Lol. Rockets fans worrying about whether or not Sengun can guard in space in the playoffs.

Lets worry about whether or not KPJ can avoid having another meltdown and if we can get a SF that can shoot straight.

aaquaa, kjayp, Rashmon and 10 others like this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

@RudyTBag what's some of the best/worst proposals that @Clutch has thrown out there with Sengun being used as bait?

I'd think the proposals should be reasonable, where we're getting back something worthwhile because Sengun, by all accounts, is a pretty solid player.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's younger than Jalen Green LMAO!

Where is this energy for KPJ who's like 22 and still sucks at team defense?

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This isn't a flex. This means that KPJ is the least sorry defensive player on the worst defensive team in the league.

whag00, LFE171, BallSoHarden and 6 others like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

but OTH its fair to Sengun, hes a rockets legend and deserves to be on a contender...

aaquaa and juanm34 like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i remember this exact thing was said about Draymond Green and why he was projected to never be a capable defender big at nba level....

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's no such thing as 1 player fixing anyone's defense. But all teams that are good/great defensively do need that 1st piece to start on the right trend towards becoming that. Fix? no. Improve, yes which is exactly what you want and how it works. Once a team gets that piece, the rest of the team follows suit and the ones who obviously don't fit are weeded out

HardenReturns, aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.