1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/MacMahon] "Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta excited about future of the NBA franchise"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2021.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Revisit this in a few years, Houston typically isn't out/down long, I do think this is going to be a longer stretch than the norm but I wouldn't say it's forever or as bad as like the Knicks... Don't get me wrong Tatum/Brown are amazing but things change fast and injuries can quickly derail any team (but they do have a very nice window, especially with the changing out of older players you mentioned). Of course - Houston seems to have a lot of bad luck regardless - looking back Rudy T sucker punch/Barkley arm injury vs Utah playoffs (I think there was a real shot in 98 even as the 8th seed to get that bulls/rockets series)/Yao career ending injury/Paul's hamstring/80s drugs, I skipped a lot in there but quick rundown.

I do think there will need to be some changes in the FO and it's going to take a while, I am also not saying it won't be a slow very drawn out process but hopefully Houston realizes they're going to have to keep building for a few years (hope Nets implode) vs just playing for a play-in/first round exit because if that's the goal it'll extend this period. Hopefully the contracts coming off the books can attract stars sooner than later but we'll see, I mean hopefully tilman can at least fill the role Les had but that train wreck that happened was a disappointment so far.

I mean houston screwed up handling the previous FO adding to the current setback but Boston wasn't exactly amazing after Birds chips, I mean it took like 20+ years for everything to align for one chip and then injuries screwed them over on a repeat or 2nd one with that team.

Anyway, I still think the future is decent for the Rockets though, but I am biased - and definitely am not placing any bets, hahah. I mean if I'm wrong and the Rockets suck another 20 years, it definitely makes me less interested in watching nba games.

2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Bill Simmons can't really sink any lower with me, but derned if he's gonna stop trying

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clever question dodge here...

DreamShook likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To be fair it was a year ago.

The trade looks a lot healthier now when you consider all the bonus add ons (ie Jalen and KPjr due to a. Being bad and b. A brain explosion over new players and lockers) PLUS the picks might be worth something later?

burlesk likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

let’s all cheer for steph to put bell simpsons’ team in their place

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last year WAS the DEEPEST class in many, many years. 37....

D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True, but Bill Simmons is the worst, I used to like him way way back, but now any take on houston from him is a joke. It looks like he recently cleared things up with Green so maybe it's a turning point. I doubt it though.

burlesk, Zen Tabak and D-rock like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not being fair. His job is to literally analyze moves like this at times as if he knows what he's talking about. I mean i get his job is to be entertaining however the f he wants. But it involves sports takes. Those takes are going to be opinions, often about things that haven't fully played out yet and can very easily be wrong in the future.

Pointing out how incredibly wrong one of those takes was now that the future has showed up a bit isn't being unfair, it's being perfectly fair.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

not much of a dodge when it's true with basically every draft class. Just because the rockets are now bad enough to have to be part of picking early, doesn't mean it wasn't the case before. Suddenly folks who never paid attention to prospects/college before, now are passing on cliches they read online or hear in the media which is done literally every year

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yolo, you really think Jalen's draft class is not deep? 9 of the top 10 prospects from the 2021 Draft have had impact on their teams as rookies.

I count about 14 others (maybe more) outside the top 10 that have potential and have also impacted their teams so far. That's deep. you're tripping and maybe drunk.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

every single year we hear the same thing over and over and a draft is deep. It rarely ever turns out that way. There isn't some draft with a long list of guys turn out to be studs and stars, especially in order. A ton of these "projections" turn out completely wrong all the time. You can go to every draft and see guys in the lottery that nobody has even heard from since.

14 others outside of the top 10 are not going to be stars. More than half will probably bust or be some kind of limited role player, bench warmer, or out of the league after their first deal. that's just how it is. Did you actually follow all 24 of these guys and track them or just reading what you see online and like 2 min youtube highlights.

its funny seeing folks following drafts for the very first time

#191 YOLO, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

To be extra fair there was no imperative reason for BS to chime in so early acting like he had authoritative knowledge on how the next seven years would play out.

He did so voluntarily and deserves criticism for not knowing what the hell he's talking about

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Fertitta always looks like he should be wearing a helmet and riding the short bus.

BHannes2BHonest, Nook, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well he hates Houston, he'll kick Houston when they're up or down, lol. Probably more hate with Astros lately but, yeah... When the Rockets are decent again, he'll be upset, especially if his Boston teams are doing bad.

Richie_Rich, burlesk and D-rock like this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

Bill Simmons' take at the time was, maybe a little bit of hyperbole, but wasn't far off. We traded James Harden- a perennial MVP candidate and guy that could guarantee a playoff run every year, and didn't get back a single young player and got a collection of picks from a Brooklyn team that most people thought were going to be great. On top of that, because of the actual 'historically, comically, unfathomably bad' trade (trading our picks to swap CP3 and WB) there was a very real chance we were going to have the worst record in the league and then have to give OKC our pick too.

One year later, I still wish we got a young player from that trade, but Harden looks to have hit a cliff way quicker than most were anticipating, Brooklyn may be falling apart and their picks are already more valuable than they were, and we got lucky and were able to keep our pick to draft Green, who had a really promising first year.

Funny how quickly things can change in the NBA.

16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

If things can change that quickly in the NBA, one should probably keep their mouth shut when it comes to evaluating a trade six/seven years before we really know anything about the outcome.

His take "wasn't far off" is also incorrect because even at the time it was a better offer than the only other serious package revolving around Ben Simmons and only two protected picks.

Unfortunately the market determines what we get, not the theoretical assumptions of returns from media personalities. And the market is kinda limited when players get fat and loaf around to force their way out of town.

I think the only reason anyone is defending this guy is because they thought the same thing at the time. But the fact is that the pessimism was incredibly premature, even just looking at how the Nets' trades for KG and Pierce turned out in the end.

Those were the exact trades that allowed Bill's favorite team, the Celtics, to build their currently-contending squad, so he should certainly know better.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Appreciate the read.

One thing I'd say about the Celtics is that Danny Ainge while has his ups (current homegrown guys) and downs (Kyrie, Kemba, Hayward).

One of the positive things was that he seemed to know when to get rid of young guys that plateau. The young=potential only goes so far. Knowing your players' ceilings. Didn't dwell on them too long or magically hope that person will bounce back.

I'd put KPJ and Wood in those categories. Rockets is not rehab, if their growth is stunted, you keep moving, don't wait for the next relapse.

#197 TimDuncanDonaut, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    CCity Zero likes this.
  18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Geez- ok Zen Tabak. The whole point is sentiment can change quickly. Of course no one really knows for several years, especially for trades that include draft picks that are still six/seven years out. That was the point of the post. We would be saying different things if the Nets didn't implode and we also lost our draft pick to OKC.

No need to keep your mouth shut. We're just discussing different ideas about basketball, kind of the whole point of this forum to begin with.

19. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Just to be clear I'm not telling anyone here to shut up.

My point is that Bill Simmons could very easily have just kept his mouth shut, recognizing that he had nowhere near a sufficient amount of information to properly evaluate the trade. There was no need for a take from him at all. If his take doesn't age well, that's entirely on him and I'm not giving him partial credit just because some people agreed with him at the time.

cmoak1982 and photojoe like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have to be fairly happy with their progression the last year and a half, but it is still too early to tell.

Since then the Rockets have had the #2, #3, #16, #17, #23 and #24 picks in the draft over the last two seasons.

Next year they have the Bucks first rounder and their own first rounder.

So the Rockets have had draft picks to add top end talent, and time will tell how good these players really are....

I don't expect the Rockets to be much better next season, maybe 5 more wins if they avoid injuries.

By 2024 they need to be progressing closer to .500%.... they lose their pick in 2024 but have the Nets pick.

Some expectations I have heard from Rockets fans are unrealistic, but there is some young talent that should develop with time.