1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Guardians @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 23, 2022.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I was confident that Austin Hedges was going to troll us all and smoke a 3 run go ahead homer. It would have been so typical with our trolling of what. But the thing is, Austin Hedges can't hit. He has a worse career OPS than Martin Maldonado.

2. Buck Turgidson

Tucker and Bregman are both very solid in the field.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I know. But 3B is more valuable than RF, especially with constant shifts that put 3B at SS. .

4. Buck Turgidson

Hmmmm....

SS
    C
    2B
    CF
    3B
    RF
    1B
    LF

I just made that list up off of the top of my head, how am I wrong? Also, with the shifts and whatnot, the idea of traditional defensive positions are a bit antiquated, right? 3B plays SS, SS plays up the middle like a 2B, etc...?

rockbox likes this.
  5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

That list feels right to me in traditional lineups, but with shifts I would have 3B ahead of 2B as 3B has to cover the whole left side much of the time while 2B catches lazy flies. But those days are coming to an end soon.

BTW, I think Tucker still ends more valuable than Bregman by the end of the year, but I am agreeing with your point that all the hate for the one and love for the other is odd.

It comes down to certain people’s obsession with the salary more than the player (and ironically in this case his salary is still a deal every MLB team would be happy with!)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

7. Buck Turgidson

Yep, RF defense is underappreciated. If you can keep a guy from going 1st to 3rd on a single, or scoring from 2B.... Tucker doesn't have the strongest arm but he's accurate with it and his reputation keeps guys from testing him too often.

Rfers with a cannon arm are some of my favorite players ever, Dave Parker, Glenn Wilson, Vlad, Ichiro....

No Worries likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Clemente, Dave Parker, Winfield

9. Buck Turgidson

Wow, I had no idea Dave Parker and his family were dealing with Parkinsons.

I only made it through about 15 minutes before my eyes got watery.

BMoney likes this.
  10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Being "a good person" is a big part of managing, though. In this sense, connecting with players, having their backs and building their confidence has been critical for this team when they just as easily could have cratered with some of the injuries, free agent losses and fallout they have faced since he took the helm.

11. BMoney

The Astros should be in the market for another bat.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. BMoney

Shout out to Channelview's own Glenn Wilson. He was a buddy of my father and uncle back in the day.

Nook likes this.
  13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Glad to get the close win and the series win.

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You do realize he signed his extension prior to the 2019 season, his MVP season, right?

Rock Block likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Vlad? You mean Dracula has a cannon arm?

I provide the Comic Relief - sometimes on purpose.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FIFY.

17. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Let's say a team sort of shifts, maybe a little shift, how the hell do they enforce that? What's the penalty?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

C should be top easily and 1st bottom.

Edit: With the shifts, I'd have 2B beneath the 3B, but still not much difference between 3B, CF, and 2B. I don't think the differences in the corner OF spots is that different. RF has harder plays, but LF (in most parks) has a lot more plays. The bloopers in front of slow LFs add up.

#418 Joe Joe, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They will work out the details, but what I've heard second and third hand from articles, they will require two infielders left of a line from home plate to second base and extended through the infield and two players right of that line. Shifting within those parameters would still occur.

Penalties would likely be like interference and they would award a base to the aggrieved party. No details on whether four outfielders would now be considered an illegal shift and whether the infield will be further defined to accomplish this.

They just can't stand the thought of hitting it where they ain't like has been done for 150 years to beat shifts any more than players having to hit as well as play defense.

I thought they were trying to implement it somewhere in the minors for a look-see where you could probably get more details on how it may be implemented.

#419 Marshall Bryant, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first Astros game I ever went to as a kid was against Cincinnati and Glenn Wilson hit a walkoff homerun. The place went nuts. It was a good introduction into baseball.

Nook, HTown2017Champs and BMoney like this.