1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Elon using elaborate smokescreens to sell too.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Retail gobbling up the shares too...because somehow they justified a 1.2trillion dollar valuation because tSLa iS nOt cAr CoMpAnY.

Ubiquitin, CCity Zero and Ziggy like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

'tHey'V3 g0t sP@cEX"

Ubiquitin, Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

I didn't take a chance on NVDA..

-8% AH.

And totally forgot to buy some $100 puts on SNOW.

saitou, Ubiquitin and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've been looking for a nice dividend fund to dump money into. I'll take a look at that one later, but thanks for posting. HDV was another one along the same lines I was looking at since it goes for dividends and, just like SCHD, has a next-to-nothing expense ratio. Another "safer" one I was going to look into after hearing about it today was COWZ. I haven't looked into it much since I just heard about it today, but It's up around 2% on the year and seems to hold some big companies as major holdings. The only thing I don't like about it is the dividends aren't great and they seem to currently be weighted toward energy and commodities from looking at their holdings. I'm big on energy right now and looking for a bit more exposure to it at least for the short-term, but energy and biotech always scare the hell out of me.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I looked at COWZ but the expense ratio stinks compared to SCHD. I'm not a dividend investor either as I only have SCHD in my Roth IRA but it was notable how well its holding up compared to other broad ETFs. I just like SCHD because they seemed to diversify across sectors pretty well and I was just stunned at how well it has held up. It shot up during the pandemic like everything else but the losses so far have been trivial compared to the S&P 500.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, COWZ wouldn't be for a dividend play for me. I mean, it throws out a dividend, but only around 1.5%, and yeah, the expense ratio was what was giving me pause. I'd just rather park my money in something relatively safe (hopefully) even if it doesn't return a ton for now, and the premise of the ETF seemed appealing. A lot of money has been piling into safer stuff for the past several months which sometimes means large cap, dividend-throwing, etc. type companies so ETFs like this have been benefiting a bit.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

what other broad based ETFs do you like?

My rollover IRA/roth IRA are at vanguard and it's in the Total Stock Market fund (80-90% of at least) and the rest in a small cap one.
    My work stuff is in the Fidelity 500.
    I don't want to buy any individual stocks in my non-stupid trading brokerage account so I am looking to park money into a broader ETF. Thought about doing sector based stuff but eh...don't want to manage it too much...just want to keep buy more of the same gradually..

SCHD looks good.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you're a vanguard person, VYM is their equivalent of SCHD. It has actually performed slightly better than SCHD this year. They're both designed to be conservative ETFs. VYM in some ways is even more conservative because technology is a really small portion of their mix.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Even if it goes down to pre covid levels thats probably decent long term "don't want to manage" growth. I don't think VTI will go to 170 like Dr. of Dunk predicts but if it does I guess cheap investment.

11. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I've been thinking about buying GLFOX as a diversification/income play.....

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I missed window on NVDA calls, lol waited too long for entry at open and of course it took off, because of course it would, especially after watching SNAP yesterday. I've basically been trying to get more disciplined on momentum trading... I definitely think there will be more downs, just trying to catch small windows when they're there.

saitou likes this.
  13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

[​IMG]
    Glad i didn't panic at $15, but sux that i didn't dare buy either. Volume spike on 18 may was due to great earnings, 117% rev growth. Geographically, south american economy seems to be the least affected so far.

My average price is $36. Hope it can break out so i can reduce exposure a bit, this has been emotionally draining.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

was very tempted on nvda as a long term hold, their DC segment has grown so much that eth 2.0 might not be that big of a deal in the end, and their earnings were actually better than the headline as they had to pay a lot for not completing the ARM deal.

but china-taiwan has me nervous. i may reduce my qcom as well on green days. the more i look into china-taiwan the more freaked out i get, i used to think it was just sabre rattling, now i'm not so sure.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Sajan likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Bear market cancelled for 1 day. thanks.

$407 gap fill imminent $SPY

whag00 and CCity Zero like this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I have cheap WMT calls only up 44% but I don't think I'll hold, I need the ones that get me 500% in like 10min.

I guess tomorrow depends on how the rest of today plays out, looking decent so far. Probably good amount of trades tomorrow followed by trash Tuesday? Haha, it's basically a flip of the coin with more downside sooner than later...

135c 6/17 for WMT will probably move on from soonish, unless it breaks $126...

Wow it actually broke through, lol

#18557 CCity Zero, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes China/Taiwan is something that could wreck everything. Very concerning.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Are you planning to hold long term on this one?

20. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Hopefully a short term bottom and we can get a pop from here.

There are some good things going right now. NVDA went red to green, macd on the QQQ went positive, the momentum indicators showing divergences, fed minutes were reassuring...let's see though.

Sajan likes this.