1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasonable? Gun Control Laws

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, May 17, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So your answer to gun violence continues to be more guns and everyone embrace the wild Wild West where everyone is packing. The NRA’s fever dream solution to everything.

Come back when you actually want to save the lives of children instead of shilling for the gun industry.

FYI the NRA conference this week is a “gun free” zone where guns are banned. Why is that??

Commodore likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The sane people in this case armed police officers tried to stop the shooter before he entered the school and they failed.

The more guns to stop gun violence has to be the stupidest argument in this whole debate.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we pray hard enough to the God who's making this all happen we won't have to worry about making any laws.

God is the only true law

MexAmercnMoose likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The police can't hit the broad side of a barn in an active shooter situation, I'm not sure how we expect the teacher with 2 kids who works a side gig at Starbucks on weekends to turn into Robocop when yet another person decides to commit suicide via mass murder.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Also like the security guard in buffalo right.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Get rid of the gun show/ No ID/ No Liability loophole by creating a national database where people can look up if someone has a criminal record for private sales.

Make criminal or civil liability laws where owners become liable if their guns that aren't stored in a secure manner and are used in a crime.

Mandatory waiting periods on sales.

Get rid of all gun advertising/ marketing like we have for cigarettes.

AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Looks at the make up of the SCOTUS...

Wouldn't those guys just rule any gun control as unconstitutional in the end?

Nothing is getting done for this issue, people will buy armor for themselves and their children before we have any movement on gun control.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Wrong thread

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure they're about to expand 2A interpretation to mean that pretty much everyone in every state has as right to take guns in public, not just have them in their homes.

As for logically consistent reasonable gun control by SCOTUS, if Trolito wasn't such a joke (and I love Scalia, so don't label me whatever), then his statutory interpretation of the VRA should be a blueprint. Alito stated in his VRA decision about Arizona, that the VRA should only protect voting rights that existed when the law was enacted. Meaning if a state decides to ban all mail voting (which would actually violate federal law for the troops) or drive-in voting or early voting or whatever, and even if that ban disproportionatly impacts minorities, then it's not a violation of the VRA because all of those new types of voting didn't exist much in the 1980's under the most recent re-approval by Congress.

If he was actually judicially consistent, instead of a hack, then he should lead a charge to explain that due to incorporation of the 2nd Amendment via the 14th Amendment (which I actually agree that states banning guns is violation of the Constitution because that Congress wanted freed slaves to have guns), anyhow, Alito would argue that the only guns protected by the law are guns that existed during the Civil War. So muskets and a few old semi-automatic revolvers and some cannons would count. That's originalism.

As someone who is sympathetic to living constitutional interpretation, I'd think most Americans want more modern guns and states probably can't ban them without violating the law. So it's really just Alito and co hacking the VRA to bits and violating normal conservative juresprudence simply for partisanship. But anyhow, the Right to bear Arms that only existed post Civil War isn't that much of a stretch in terms of constitutional interpretation.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Member

Yea lets make every place on earth a gun zone as God intended and just force every adult to carry a gun everywhere. The solution has always been more guns! How did I not think of that? Brilliant! As a former teacher, I have no intention of shooting anyone nor do I wish to be trained in combat. Hide under your desks kids Betty the 65 year old second grade teacher will shoot the bad guys! Do you even hear yourself talk? That is just the dumbest thing imaginable. Absolutely brainwashed.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don't care how it happens. It just has to happen.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Other possibilities that don't involve taking away guns is to make it easier to commit people. Being real here and accepting that the gun lobby strong.

So combine something like Comstock https://www.oyez.org/cases/2009/08-1224
    and just burden the prison system and mental health system even further with a wider scope of what's chargeable/arrestable.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-mental-illness-becomes-jail-sentence/603154/

And there, civil liberty violating laws that could impact gun violence without impacting gun laws in general, but just freedom laws for those society deems as crazy.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Insanity. Just pure utter insanity.

The NRA is stupid. It's fighting any gun control and the day will come when the country flips into just getting rid of guns all together. It the short run, the NRA wins. In the long run, everyone loses.

FranchiseBlade and DaDakota like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first thing we have to agree upon is that the Second Amendment is not an absolute. No right is absolute and particularly given the language of the Second Amendment states that is circumscribed even more.

None other than the late Scalia recognized there was no absolute right firearms and that while we cannot ban them completely they can be regulated.

Most importantly freedom and rights cannot exist without responsibility. Too often we ignore that yet that is the basis or our Constitutional system. The Founders like other Enlightenment philosophers understood rights don't exist in a vacuum and that freedom actually requires a responsibility. For example in this case where we have said that practically anyone can own any firearm and the only counter to that is get armed yourself isn't a free society. It's a fearful society with a vicious cycle of people arming themselves over fear of the exercise of others right.

I'm going to get a pistol because others have shotguns. I see others getting pistols too so to feel safe I have to get a semiautomatic rifle. I see that the shooters in Buffalo and Uvalde wore body armor that allowed them to survive getting shot so now I say I have to get armor piercing ammunition to feel safe. Feeling I have to get more and more fire power to counter more and more fire power isn't freedom when the motivation is fear.

A society where we live in fear of our neighbors because they might be armed isn't a polite society. It is a fearful and distrustful society.

Kim and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. marky :)

marky :) Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

(This post is completely and utter sarcasm before someone takes it out of context) Why stop at sane adults? Why not just train all children how to use guns in elementary school as part of PE? (This post is completely and utter sarcasm before someone takes it out of context)

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Once again, Kinder Guardians!