1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Paolo and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 21, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You know this isn’t true right?

2. thekad

thekad Member

Randle did plenty of initiating from outside the paint and actually had a quicker first step than Paolo does.

You’re right he is a terrible teammate though so Paolo does have that over him.

saleem and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ive watched him. Good player I guess. I didn't preface my comment that of course it is just my opinion but.... Yes, I believe PB to already be a superior passer and ball handler in regards to Randle.

Bo6, jiggyfly, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Noted this WAY earlier in the thread, but there are two Randles.... the one we saw the full upside potential, when he hit 40% from three and seemed to try pretty consistently. He put up 24, 10 and 6 assists, led the NYKs to the 4th seed with basically only Derrick Rose and 2nd yr meh RJ Barret as teammates.

Then there's the more normal Randle, who isn't as efficient and seems to sulk way too much.

The peak Randle... that's a GREAT PLAYER. That Randle finished all-nba 2nd team only Giannis and Kawhi finished higher as forwards.

Like I can't express just how good Randle was in 20-21.

And I absolutely, 100% expect Banchero to be better than Randle, ultimately, both offensively and defensively. I recognize it might not happen... heck might even be 50/50... but its just not hard to envision a scenario where Banchero grows into an all-nba player ... but its really and truly up to him and his work ethic.

JG and Banchero at their peak potential would wreck the league. A 3rd guy at peak - be it Sengun, or someone from 2023... and role players at peak - Jaygup... and that's a deep playoff team. But thats with EVERYONE reaching their peak, which is probably only 10% likely.

Boii, Bo6, MystikArkitect and 5 others like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

The third pick has a 56% chance of becoming at least a 1x all star.

That being said this is a relatively weak draft at the top.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

yeah… I was listening to a mock on YouTube - can’t remember the channel it wasn’t millions of views or anything but it was a well put together video with views - and he said he thinks the top 3 actually could be very solid even if not quite as good as last year at least somewhat competitive.

I hadn’t really considered it … but can kind of see it.

but most people do say weak draft… and honestly I can’t truly tell. I think overall you can tell it’s a bit weaker (like the Dieng kid would be this years Alpi and Alpi was a much better prospect in the mid teens)… and it feels a bit weaker at the top in the sense that of the top 3 guys it’s less clear any of them reach their peak where you just had a great feel for all of the top 3 guys last year and then Barnes swoops in for ROY (team award apparently), Giddy turns out to be solid, Wagner is great, Alpi, Herb Jones (lol) … very solid draft.

But it seems you’re just likely to get 1 or more really good player in the top 3. In fact the last draft that didn’t have 2 really good players was 2017 which had Fultz, Ball and Tatum. You have to go back to 2013 which is one of the worst drafts ever to find a top 3 where none of the top 3 aren’t still very very good players - Bennett, Oladipo, Otto Porter, Zeller, Len, Noelle, McLemore … it was just an awful top of the draft salvaged by CJ at 11 and Giannis at 15.

Does this draft feel bad in a 2013 way? I’d say DEFINITELY not. While there’s not an “obvious” #1 there are 3 guys who’d easily easily go #1 in 2013 (Cavs craziness aside) without the benefit of hindsight. And there are a bunch of interesting guys later on.

Long story short… Good stat. I think Paolo has many all star games in his future. Just my opinion.

#426 JayZ750, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's fair. I do think he's got to be better about knowing when to let it go, he challenged EVERYTHING and it lead to so many dumb fouls. I appreciate the energy and will but that's some baby-deer rookie **** for sure. I was actually quite surprised at how good he is (at everything) at timing blocks on drives by guards. He's not an incredible athlete but he's super smart/instinctual. For a teenager playing in the NBA, I really don't think you could've expected or asked for more. Still, with Tate, Garuba, maybe a Williams/Eason/Daniels/defender draft pick I think you're starting to see some defined roles forming. Lots of defensive options that you can stick in between your star players.

jiggyfly and Rokman like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Eric Gordon, who obviously pulled it back for the sake of a young team, averaged a career low in field goal attempts and still had more FG per game than Tate. Martin doesn't have nearly the handle Tate does, which explains why Tate shoots more. He gets himself open more. Garrison Mathews sucks.

Tate's usage likely goes down with a more structured team and roles. 20% is pretty much average anyway.

Stephen_A likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

He's not as tall, sure. Production pretty much the same, including defense.

Stone looking for a wing because we have guards and a center worth building around.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

interesting comparison to 2017 and 2013. the thing about those classes is before the draft no one thought they were going to be that weak! you never can tell. one thing is for sure, we don't have any tier 1 prospects (potential superstar) in this class. however many draft classes don't. I think Chad Ford's research over the past 10 or so years put it at less than 1 tier 1 prospect per draft class. last year had 3 at the top making it the perfect time to start a rebuild.

so to that extent this class isn't necesarily weaker than other classes that also didn't have a tier 1 prospect. with this class it isn't just lack of superstar power at the top, its lack of nba players towards the end of the first round. only about 20 players from each draft earns a second nba contract. with this class I'm reading some scouts aren't sure about more than 15 or so. so its a shallower draft down the board as well. that's why I'd be aggressively looking to move up from #17 into the lotto... or hope someone I really like slips to me... or just trade out and get a pick in '24 or later.

ico4498 and peleincubus like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Those two would've been teammates at O'Dea, but apparently KPJ went to Rainier out of respect to his deceased father who went there before him. BTW, Marjon Beauchamp is from the area and played for Rainier, too, but I think that dude played for a bunch of schools around there. Could be all kinds of reunions this draft.... or not.

Rudyc281, D-rock and Stephen_A like this.
  13. The geth & the reaper

Randle? Isn’t he a 6’8 tweener? In my very limited and noob scouting because I kept seeing Randle comparisons. I checked out Randle in college tape and he’s a horrible comparison IMO. His college tape consist of a very limited offense. Dribble drive, dribble drive spin, dribble drive, rinse and repeat. While he did have a quick step and was really good finishing at the basketball, he possessed nothing else that Banchero has.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. JayZ750

I don’t know. My memory fades but I don’t recall 2013 being hyped at all.

https://www.celticsblog.com/platfor...ects-oladipo-noel-mclemore-len-bennett-porter

“There isn't much hype around the draft this year because of the lack of elite talent in the top ten. ”. That was KOC.

which isnt to say we really know for sure. Just you can kind of get a feel going in. Then usually there’s a surprise or two. The feel going into 2013 … for me … was meh. I remember all the talk about Cody Zeller that college season and I was like wtf, really?

it’s hard to find and more current analysis of the 2022 class as a whole. Older (late 21/early 22) analysis seems to fall on the “no notable franchise saving obvious tier one top guy(s) but a potentially solid class otherwise”.

I’m coming to the conclusion that while I agree there’s not a clear Tier 1 guy or two, that all 3 of the top 3 guys are Tier 1.5 guys… Ivey is like tier 2.5 (I’m lower on him than a lot… amazing athleticism but not anywhere near the shooting or passing/vision as Ja, Trae, Luka or the like)…. And then a lot of guys are like Tier 4.

everyone has their favorite “sleepers” and someone or two will be right but a lot of these guys just look meh’ish to me.

not that the rockets have much say but hopefully whomever they end up with at 3 ends up being the 1.5 guy that is really tier 1.

personally I have Jabari lowest of the 3, contrary to what a lot of others think.. but I’m no expert. We’ll see.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone is from same area as well.

This is not insignificant.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s comparisons to his recent play. That’s the similarity.

Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yep it’s an x-factor for sure

D-rock likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

KPJ
    JG
    PB
    Sengun
    Need a true big man here.

I keep coming to the same question banchero>Sengun??

Big man typically take a few years to develop and I do not want to give up on Sengun already.

If it’s banchero I want him at the 3 and don’t really care about the defensive liability…coaching can really help that issue to a degree.

But I am intrigued by a lineup that I posted above.

Trade CW

D-rock likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No he didn't.

The blasphemy.:D

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

Nobody is comping him at this point to Randle, that's more absurd than the LeBron comp.

Paolo has much more in his bag than Randle.
    Why does it have to either or?

Why can't Sengun be a great rotation guy who can play some minutes together with Banchero depending on matchups.

Why would we be giving up on Sengun?

He could be a better Bobby Portis.

Rudyc281 likes this.